“First choice for Cardiff!”
Review of ML Lodge

ML Lodge
Ranked #56 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“First choice for Cardiff!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at ML lodge twice now. Both for birthday celebrations and I have no complaints what so ever. Service was quick, friendly bloke @ front desk who was welcoming. Rooms we're clean and tidy and beds were surprisingly comfy! No noises from any other guests and not far a walk from anything. You walk out the door and BAM everything is around you. WIFI cuts out sometimes but hey ho! One thing is you need to like walking flights of stairs, itsva workout buy can't be helped will always use ML lodge when travelling to Cardiff!

Room Tip: Go for the largest room in the middle of the building a huge window that looks over the street below...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
SimonSandringham, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you very much for your excellent review of us.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay
Hopefully on your advice others will see that we are a superb base to explore Cardiff as long as they can handle the stairs.
Thank you for making us your first choice accommodation in Cardiff.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Booked it for a last minute business trip to Cardiff. The room is very clean and comfortable and in a great location but it is basically a motel. A room to book to sleep in nothing more. If you are in Cardiff for a night out then it's perfect as it is in the city center but for business or tourists it's not your place. No Internet or landline (payphone facility available) or regular hotel services.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SimonSandringham, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for your very balanced and fair review.
I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry that no one has given you the Wi-Fi password as we offer a good reliable service free of charge in all rooms.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Llangefni, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Me and my brother went for a night out in Cardiff on a Friday, and this hotel was perfect for us. Reasonably priced twin bed room, and the location was excellent, right in the middle of the Cardiff nightlife. Room was clean, no complaints from either of us. Just a basic, decent, affordable hotel to crash in after a night out!!

• Stayed February 2014
SimonSandringham, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Wow thank you Sir for such a lovely review.
I realise we have some bad reviews on this site but we are trying our best to be an affordable base and offer great value for money in the middle of Cardiff. We offer free Wi-Fi, tea and coffee making facilities, luggage storage and extra bedding. Lots of things that the well known chain budget hotels charge extra for.
It is really pleasing to read that you feel we are achieving our aim.
Thank you.
Tywyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Certainly no "frills" and could do with a good makeover, but it was clean, We were aware of this and a lot more by reading previous reviews. This was the only family room available in the centre of Cardiff on a Rugby International weekend !! ( and this was booked 3 months ahead !!) It was clean and had all the room facilities of a higher classed hotel (including Iron & board, wifi, TV,decent towels, extra pillows and duvet and refreshment tray). The stairs were daunting, as we were on the 4th floor, but all in all it served the purpose, and our young Grandson enjoyed his first Rugby weekend and taste of the city nightlife. plenty of eateries in the area catering for all budgets. There is no reception on the premises, booking in is at the hotel opposite, there is an NCP carpark 5 minutes walk away cheaper when booked in the hotel. And the response when you telephone them for room service is good.

Room Tip: Don;t book here if you have disability issues as there is no lift and the stairs are steep and plent...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Janette J
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you very much for your very fair and balanced review.
I am delighted to read that you have noticed the many many extras that we offer that the chain budget accommodation does not.
We do have steep stairs so we are not suitable for all but we do not try or want to hide this as it is correct and proper to let guests know.
We are currently painting the rooms so this will improve the appearance.
Once again I thank you for your comments as they should help us as we are a small family business.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a few hotels in Cardiff over the summer as I was working there. Unfortunately this was my worst experience. Stairs not quite so bad for me as I was on the first floor. The location is excellent - right in the City centre but that is where the good points end I'm afraid.
The room was basic and needs refurbishing although I can't say it was dirty.
The room was hot however which was made worse because I was kept away by a noisy air conditioning unit outside that I had no benefit from at all. Although it was cheap for the centre of Cardiff it was the most expensive I stayed in and not worth it. Felt like a hostel. Wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend - needs some serious money spending in it.

• Stayed June 2013
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you Corinne B for your review.
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We are a Lodge and not actually graded as a hotel. We charge very low rates for the city centre and I can promise that all local competition would have
cost much more than us. It is impossible to spend a lot of money without increasing prices dramatically. We are occupied 90% of the year so we do feel we are appropriate for the price we charge.
Again I apologise and hope you will consider returning if the price is more favourable.
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone! No lift in the b&b if you can call it a b&b paid a £190 for two as I thought I was getting bed and breakfast. To find out when I booked in, that they wanted a extra £6.50 person per day. Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for your comments.
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay.
I can promise that the price paid which was not just for one room/one night was very fair when comparing us to the competition on the date stayed.
All booking sites including the one you used state that prices are room only and sadly no lift.
Breakfast can be taken at a cost in a different hotel ten seconds across the road from us. We are not the same owners but they are well reviewed for their food and service so we feel this is an excellent addition.
I apologise that you felt misled.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a no frills - no pretension place to get a good nights sleep and also be slap bang in the centre of Cardiff. I was here with a group of friends on a stag do recently and we were on the top floor. We were not looking for glamour and didn't get any. You check in at the sandringham (honest, sweet and friendly staff) on the other side of the road and then climb a good number of stairs ( a good workout) to get to decent enough rooms for the price.

There was wifi in the building and a mcdonalds nearby for breakfast. There is a chicken cottage underneath but couldn't smell any fried chicken smell nearby. You get what you pay for and if you have a lot more to spend go elsewhere. It does get a bit loud outside at nights but We all had a good sleep and it was a stag do to remember. There are several free parking spots around 20 mins walk in residential areas of Cardiff.

Cons: each room had only one set of keys with a electronic door access key and a room key.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dharam S
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you very much for your review.
I am very pleased that we were able to satisfy your needs and that you left the Lodge with a positive impression.
I realise that just one key per room can cause some problems. As the key is for the front door then we are unable to offer more due to security. We do let guests in though if required with our master keys. I will keep your views in mind as I know guests would be happier if I could change this policy.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.