“Comfortable.”

Ranked #57 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Comfortable.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Our room was a double room with on suite. The room and bed were clean windows could have done with a clean but as we were at the back it was not a problem. The bed is well used but comfortable. ( I slept very well).
Bathroom was clean and spacious.
Tea and coffee in the room are known brands. Would use again. No lift!! Lots of stairs.

• Stayed August 2014
Simon6567, General Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
I am really happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
I hope to welcome you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Czech first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I really liked my time at this hotel. I stayed overnight in a single room which had its own bathroom and I thought that the price really matched the value. It definitely was not a five star hotel as the bed and pillows were a bit uncomfortable and the bathroom could do with some renovating. However it was very affordable and I was very satisfied with my stay. The reception was helpful. Please be aware that you have to check in at the Sandringham Hotel which is down the block as the ML Lodge does not have a reception. Once you figure this out everything is great! If you need help or directions just ask the staff they were so friendly! Also just for warning there is NO LIFT and it is A LOT of stairs. I lucked out and got a room on the first floor and I was still exhausted carrying my suitcase up! But besides that I thought everything was great my room was tiny yet perfect for one person! I paid for the breakfast and it was a lot of food for only five extra pounds! Plus the hotel is located literally right at the city centre so you have easy access to just about everything! I traveled alone so I felt so much better staying out late as I could easily make it back to my hotel!! It is a really great hotel! Not a high class hotel but a great place to stay in Cardiff!! If I ever make it back to Cardiff I will definitely stay here!!

Room Tip: First floor, so less stairs to climb!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you Bianca for your lovely and very balanced review.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your time with us and your stay in Cardiff.
It was lovely meeting you and I will let everyone concerned know your comments.
Hopefully as you say we will welcome you again in the future.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The wonder of this hotel is its position. It is a perfect place to stay if you are exploring Cardiff.
But motor race made prices in this place like in Hilton.
But again, wonderful location for all sorts of walks, night life right behind the window.
A room was big and kept clean.

Room Tip: If you goto sleep early try to ask for a room faces not St Mary st.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your visit to Cardiff and hope that we will be able to welcome you again in the future.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were in room 8.A lot of stairs!!The room was clean,everything was working.There was a free entrance to Jazz Cafe which we enjoyed!!Very good location,Friendly staff.By the way,it was 98 steps up to our room so were left the room in the morning and return in the evening.Nobody offered us discount for parking so after we paid 10 quid for 24 hours we found a street nearby with unrestricted parking(half an hour walking).Well not worried about hotel,we had a great couple of days in Cardiff!

Room Tip: Many-many stairs
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and in Cardiff.
We do as you say have many steep flights of stairs. I do not wish to hide this fact as although it could put some people off, it is very important for guests to know.
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were in room 9! Had a lot of stairs to climb, but having said that we need the exercise! The room was clean, everything worked though we didn't try the television and can assume that it did. Couldn't hear any noise up there in the stars, but get this, there was a special jazz night in the club next door and we had free entry to the club and 20% off everything, beer, meals - excellent value. I would stay there again although I would probably ask for a room on the first floor and book earlier, but I cannot say enough about the helpful, friendly staff. I has to ring to find ML Lodge and the young lady there was absolutely magnificent as was the other gentleman on the desk (both are located just across the road in the Sandringham Hotel). The breakfast was just £4 each and it was probably one of the best breakfasts I have had for years. Anyway, I can't say any bad things about the hotel - yes it was basic, but I don't think Premier Inn offer anything better and certainly not at the prices ML lodge offer and right in the heart of a city centre. Even get parking much cheaper, might be a bit complicated if you haven't been before, but the car park wasn't far, it was so much cheaper with the ML Lodge discount. They gave us a card to discount the parking ticket. No problems. ML Lodge is not bad at all even though it was a long climb up to our room, but we even turned that into a fun thing counting the stairs! Anyway, after you've been drinking beer at the place next door with 20% off you don't notice the stairs. Well done ML Lodge and all your wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further down the stairs unless you like lots of steps.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments.
We honestly do try our best and we do care what people think about us.
I am so pleased that you have enjoyed yourselves and I thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
Paris, France
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Ml lodge Cardiff = real rip- off
A shame. Really.
We spent our second night in Cardiff at the "ML lodge" which turned out to be this overpriced disgusting dump place!
Let me explain: the location is ok (ie in the city center of Cardiff) but it is right above a low cost kfc-like thingy so you'd better like days old fried chicken smells...then you climb up some dodgy steepy stairs up the room. you'll surely enjoy the room style: every piece falling apart (my cat would break down the chair by just sleeping on it...and oh dear they need to learn how to clean a bathroom : we especially enjoyed the BLACK THIN shower joints)
95 £ for a 3 people room??? Do you realize we found a room for half that price just a few nights before in a lovely clean place, a real host(isńt it what b&bs are for??? ) just a few blocks away?

DONT GO THERE

• Stayed May 2014
SimonSandringham, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay.
Our price did compare well with other city centre located accommodation providers on the night you stayed.
Cardiff is more expensive on a Saturday than it is on other nights. Our prices are lower on weekdays.
I do not agree with all your comments but I fully respect your view and once again I send my apologies to you.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at ML lodge twice now. Both for birthday celebrations and I have no complaints what so ever. Service was quick, friendly bloke @ front desk who was welcoming. Rooms we're clean and tidy and beds were surprisingly comfy! No noises from any other guests and not far a walk from anything. You walk out the door and BAM everything is around you. WIFI cuts out sometimes but hey ho! One thing is you need to like walking flights of stairs, itsva workout buy can't be helped will always use ML lodge when travelling to Cardiff!

Room Tip: Go for the largest room in the middle of the building a huge window that looks over the street below...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
SimonSandringham, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you very much for your excellent review of us.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay
Hopefully on your advice others will see that we are a superb base to explore Cardiff as long as they can handle the stairs.
Thank you for making us your first choice accommodation in Cardiff.
Hopefully we will welcome you again soon.