“Amazing burgers!”

Tiny Rebel Cardiff
Ranked #90 of 1,215 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Drinks, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Amazing burgers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I went to the Urban Tap House in Cardiff recently on a work night out. They claim to 'serve the best burgers in Cardiff' on their website... I was very keen to verify this ambitious statement!

We got to the venue at 5:30pm and it was already pretty full. The atmosphere is very relaxed and there's no loud music so you can actually have a decent conversation. It was quite cramped, but we all managed to find a table/chair.

We congregated upstairs as there were so many of us, and we pretty much took over half the upstairs bar. The little bar upstairs has lots of rustic round tables and there's also a private room called the 'Cwtch'. For those of you who don't know, 'cwtch' is the lovely Welsh word for 'hug'! Coincidentally, the Urban Tap House also sells a variety of beer called 'Cwtch'.

I'd been thinking about what burger I was going to order for about three weeks, so it didn't take me too long to decide on the Big Welsh. This beast was made up of a beef burger, Welsh cheddar, bacon and pan fried leeks. The meal also came with chips and coleslaw, and cost £7.50 in total. I've never had leeks in a burger before, but no harm in trying something new! I loved the meal and finished every tiny little bit of it, down to the last smear of coleslaw. The chips might actually have been the highlight as they were so beautifully crisp and salty, but the burger was pretty good too. I don't usually bother to eat the bacon in cheeseburgers as it's never cooked properly, but this bacon was cooked to perfection. Oh, and leeks in a burger taste really good. I've had a lot of good burgers in my time, and this one was definitely in my top ten.

I'll certainly be going back to the Urban Tap House as I thought the food was very reasonable and it was a nice relaxing place to spend a few hours on a Friday night.

• Visited March 2014

mrksheep
“My new favorite pub in Cardiff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

This place is great! Only recently taken over what used to be Fire Island (which was dreadful!). Really interesting selection of beers which seem to change all the time to keep things interesting. Staff are very friendly and chatty. The whole place has a really rustic atmosphere. The burgers are excellent! If beer and burgers are your thing, this is the place to go!

• Visited April 2014
“Cracking ales and awesome burgers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to the UTH and yet again I couldn't fault the quality of the ales, food or service. The price of some drinks may be on the steeper side but this is to be expected for specialist ale houses. Also remember the old adage that you get what you pay for and the ales are all very well kept (check out the Fubar) and the staff are always willing to let you sample before you decide. My wife really enjoyed her veggie burger (Chickpea) and I tackled the 'Big Welsh' which I'd recommend to any burger fans out there! You'll do well to find a better bacon/cheese burger for the price and the addition of leeks was a nice local touch. And this is coming from an Englishman! Chips in their skins and slaw were also superb. Looking forward to returning over the weekend of the Great Welsh Beer & Cider Festival, keep up the good work!

Visited May 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Love at first sight !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great food always freshly cooked so sometimes a bit of a wait, but the best things are worth waiting for. Particularly recommend the Welshie, Goldie Lookin' Gherkins and the Stuffed Chillis ,washed down with a Fubar. Always good background music, staff are helpful, on busy days they just get on with the job at hand. One of my favourite pubs in Cardiff go there whenever we can. Looking forward to the sale of merchandise coming soon.

• Visited May 2014
Wales, UK
“Don't step out of their comfort Zone!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

On a dinner and drinks trip with 5 housemates,
Perks:
Good choice of ales/ciders
Bartender poured me a taster of the cider I wasn't sure I'd like.
Chipotle beefburger was good, coleslaw Awesome!
Food prices reasonable, decent portion size.

BUT,
Fish burger was awful, mostly raw batter rather than filled with fish, and so greasy...
Drinks on the expensive side (for the type of place...) most around £4 a pint, ranging from £3.80 and £4.50 (and that's for those on tap, there were beers in bottles on sale for over £18!
Staff did their job, but I think it pained them to show enthusiasm, so they didn't bother (I mean, why strain yourself for the sake of customer service? )
Finally... I walked in aged 23, walked out feeling 70, the seats were so uncomfortable!

My housemates have raved about the place, I honestly wouldn't go that far...

• Visited May 2014