“A little gem in Cardiff Bay”

Jolyon's Boutique Hotel
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“A little gem in Cardiff Bay”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A quirky little hotel directly opposite the theatre at Cardiff Bay, rooms are well presented with comfortable beds. There is no lift and often nobody on reception but always someone in the cellar or downstairs bar / breakfast room. The breakfast is freshly cooked to order and excellent, served in the cellar bar which in itself offers excellent pizza in the evening and snacks. There is no parking on site but large pay and display close by.

Room Tip: Only a small hotel the rooms were very good cosy and comfortable. Room 5 has a good view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Firstly I'm a Dr Who fan. I'm getting that out if the way now! Our hotel was directly opposite roald Dahl plass and the millenium centre often used in filming. I made it clear that I was travelling with an 11 year old and as this was our first (and only, since we now live in Canada) trip to cardiff we'd appreciate a room overlooking the famous view, we got a kingsize bed overlooking the back of the hotel, above the bar!
I've never stayed in a boutique hotel before preferring the convenience of things like lifts to your room etc. but I really must urgently caution anyone with small kids not to accept room 4. Not only is there noise from the rowdy bar across the street, the sash windows open fully with one finger and no safety catches. 12' below the concrete floor would provide a fairly permanent stop if you were to fall. I bought this to the attention of the staff and if I'd had my 3 yo with me would not have stayed in that room.
The luxury bathrooms have clearly been expensively appointed but again it's a swing and a miss, the heavy shower head over the bath, (no actual shower cubicle) had been dropped so many times the bath was horribly chipped. Ruining the whole effect. The dead lucky bamboo could have been removed too!
My main grip tho is the lack if cleanliness. The cups were dirty, the wall piece headboard was dusty as hell and the sheet had stains of an unpleasant nature on them.
Basically this hotel had elements of a 4* hotel but missed things you would expect from a 3*
No parking rounded off the reasons why I'd never stay there again it I fact recommend it.
Redeeming features, James on reception knew the area well, explained the hotel features and saved me cash on the car park round the corner. And we loved the entry to the bar being a tardis.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank traceyrmj
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed just one night for a special occasion and we really enjoyed it! Booking early we got our choice of room, at the bargain price of £76.

We arrived a little early but they took our bags, labelled them and had them ready in our room when we arrived back a little later on.

We had room 2, which was lovely - big comfy bed, huge bathroom and whirlpool bath. We were missing a hairdryer but they promptly brought one up for us. Otherwise, couldn't really fault the room. Yes, the windows open out onto the street, so you have to be a little careful about wandering around with no clothes on, but that didn't bother us too much.

Breakfast was fantastic, as expected based on reviews. One of us had the full meaty breakfast, packed with local produce, plus lots of coffee. The other stuck to fruit and yoghurt, followed by pancakes with strawberries and golden syrup. All excellent.

Location is great, right on the waterfront. Can be a bit noisy but it didn't bother us. The bar downstairs was really good - even though it was busy the bartender James was really attentive and even made cocktails on request if we provided a rough recipe.

I guess the only thing we'd say is that we would have liked 1) a fan in the room - it was hot even in October and even with the windows open/heating off and 2) bubble bath so we could make the most of the whirlpool bath!

Room Tip: Room 2 was lovely - the whirlpool bath with a cheeky nightcap was a real treat!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is a small B&B in need of some care. It is situated right opposite the Millennium Centre which is fantastic, and is therefore adjacent to the local restaurant nightlife. The drawback is that there is a lot of nightlife right outside one's window. This is particularly noisy on a mild night when there is a lot of drinking, chatting and music out in the open. And revellers heading for taxis waiting downstairs are particularly noisy in the early hours. The rooms are OK, although there is a need for attention to detail - bedside light and plug in sink not working. If the hotel was in a quieter street perhaps one could have overlooked this. The breakfast was not of a high standard and haphazardly served. Another drawback is that the hotel is unstaffed at night, and feels a little unsafe. During the day the front door is sometimes not closed properly and one feels the rooms could be a little insecure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed one night (they were fully booked for the second night). We needed a relaxing hotel after a busy day visiting Cardiff on business. We arrived late and were met and shown to our suite by a very approachable gentleman. The room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. Only two teabags which was a little dissapointing as I felt I had to save them for the early morning cup of tea. The bed was comfortable with very clean sheets. The downside of our visit was the wedding celebrations that were underway directly below our room. We were reassured the noise would cease at midnight, which it did. But we had a busy schedule the following day and really needed to rest. The lighting in the room and bathroom isn't really adequate for men to shave by or ladies to apply makeup. The following morning we were up early and went to breakfast, which I have to say was wonderful. My husband had the Welsh full breakfast which looked the best I have seen for a long time. The staff were very friendly, and ensured that we were served promptly, as requested. On the whole it is a nice hotel and we would be happy to return. Thank you Joylons

Room Tip: Not above the function room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Difficult place to review.
The location is excellent for the delights of Cardiff Bay.
My telephone booking experience set alarm bells ringing as the girl I spoke to didn't seem to have a clue what details to take from me. I wasn't confident she'd actually booked me a room so I called and spoke to someone else who needed a lot more details before confirming the booking (the original person hadn't asked for any card details etc).
On first seeing the hotel I was a little disappointed, the building needs a lick of pain. Inside the communal areas seem nicely done.
There's no reception as such and the front door was locked when I arrived so we have to ring a doorbell. The guy that checked us in was friendly and offered to take our bags as the room wasn't ready yet (we were early).
We had room six which is one of the nicer rooms (£120 per night).
Was very disappointed with the room. Almost seemed to be a work in progress - the walls hadn't been painted up to the ceiling (there was a one inch gap in the painting the entire length of one wall) - the bathroom had a clear glass window so the blind has to be kept pulled down and bizarrely there is a shower head attached to the wall but no shower screen, seems to be missing a shower screen/curtain. The room also had an 'old' style tv (the boxey type) which I haven't seen in a hotel for a decade, certainly not very stylish or boutique. There didn't seem to be any theme or style to the room (strange black cupboard door totally not in keeping with anything else in the room).
There was also an irritating 'humming' noise in the room all night which was probably coming from the electrical consumer unit which is visible above the wardrobe.
The room has a balcony which is basically above the flat roof below and overlooks the beer garden. I wouldn't say it's romatic or anything like that.
Breakfast was really nice and the staff were friendly.
All-in-all I'd struggle to really recommend the place however I can see that it could be a great place with a refurb of the rooms. Judging it as it is I don't think it can be described a stylish or boutique.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thegunners1978
jolyons-hotel, Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your review, I am sad to see you were had a bad experience within the hotel.

I just wanted to go over a few points.
Room 6, thank you for your views and we are now putting a few things into place to upgrade the room.

Please may I ask you look to stay again with us and I will look after if you ask for me.

Ben.
Hampshire
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights in August with my husband. Have stayed in Boutique Hotels before and I think that Jolyons needs to improve a few things first.

Breakfast- one the second day, every plate that our breakfast was served on was chipped, asked for Earl Gray tea on first day, there was none available, nor on the second day. Pastries were beautiful and fresh on first day, they were stale and rock hard, suspect they were the left over from the previous day. The cooked breakfast was good, excellent sausages but would have preferred poached or scrambled egg but that wasn't possible.

Room was good, we had room two. Missing floor tile in ensuite, guy who checked us in said that would be repaired later that day, it wasn't. Most of the other floor tiles were chipped or cracked too.

Plastic plant(!) in ensuite was coated in a layer of dust. Shelf in ensuite with tea tray ( painted in emulsion) was tea stained, why not get a proper shelf that can be wiped clean.

Would not stay here again which is a shame as the location was perfect

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for your review I am sad to see you never had your best experience with the hotel.

In regards to a few points you have outlined the Breakfast should always be fresh and a variety available to you.
Room 2
The tile has now been replaced and sealed, on reflection we didn't want to seal it while you was there down to the fumes that could disturb your stay in the room.
The Plant I have spoken with the people responsible for this and have apologised.

If you do want to stay with us the next time you are in and around Cardiff please ask for myself Ben and I will happily sort you something out.

Diolch