Jolyon's Boutique Hotel
Hilton
US$172
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$124
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$112
  • Room Service
Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$137
  • Restaurant
Novotel Cardiff Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$166
  • Pool
The Royal Hotel(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$113
Agoda.com
US$245
US$199
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Clayton Hotel Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$250
US$208
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmillennium centrecardiff baywhirlpool bathhand held showerlovely little hotelroald dahl plassproper showerfull welsh breakfastfour poster bedsmall hotelbars and restaurantsmermaid quaybeautiful roomlittle touchescooked breakfastfabulous locationthe ground floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We booked to stay at the hotel and found out that we were staying in the hotel in cathedral rd which when we booked we wanted to stay at bute st , I phoned to see if we could change to the other hotel and was told yes no problem it's s Sunday night and we have plenty of room , I checked that we would be charged the same amount which was £66 per room including breakfast on checking out in the morning I was charged £100 for one room and £90 for the other , I was told I had to pay this but if I phoned later that day I would be reimbursed the over spend I did this and sent the confirmation which I originally had but was told I still had to pay the extra , I feel completely conned out of £58 and would not trust , recommend or stay in this hotel ever again !
Derek morgan

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank 1234del
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Great location, lovely building, gorgeous beds and bedding but our visit was ruined by noise. Our Friday night stay was spoilt by a surround sound of noise which considering the hotel's location isn't surprising. Noise emanated from the pub almost next door, the pub behind and mostly from the basement bar in the hotel itself; they even had a loudspeaker in the terrace behind and nearly immediately outside our bedroom window which piped up music from the basement for a further rude awakening. Then there were the Friday night revellers outside talking, singing, shouting.... Most annoying we're the staff who at 1.30 stood outside our door talking loudly before they left for the night. We really question why the building should actually be a hotel as it's in such a busy area for night life and there's no noise insulation. Lots of old reviews pre-date the recent developments that have made this area so popular and noisy. Unless you're prepared to put up with lots of noise, have very substantial ear plugs or drink yourself to oblivion, this isn't the place for those who want a reasonable night's rest. Such a shame for a wonderful old building.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor room at ALL costs. Soooo noisy! One of our party was on the first floor which wasn't much better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rich-du-Monde
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A quirky little hotel directly opposite the theatre at Cardiff Bay, rooms are well presented with comfortable beds. There is no lift and often nobody on reception but always someone in the cellar or downstairs bar / breakfast room. The breakfast is freshly cooked to order and excellent, served in the cellar bar which in itself offers excellent pizza in the evening and snacks. There is no parking on site but large pay and display close by.

Room Tip: Only a small hotel the rooms were very good cosy and comfortable. Room 5 has a good view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Firstly I'm a Dr Who fan. I'm getting that out if the way now! Our hotel was directly opposite roald Dahl plass and the millenium centre often used in filming. I made it clear that I was travelling with an 11 year old and as this was our first (and only, since we now live in Canada) trip to cardiff we'd appreciate a room overlooking the famous view, we got a kingsize bed overlooking the back of the hotel, above the bar!
I've never stayed in a boutique hotel before preferring the convenience of things like lifts to your room etc. but I really must urgently caution anyone with small kids not to accept room 4. Not only is there noise from the rowdy bar across the street, the sash windows open fully with one finger and no safety catches. 12' below the concrete floor would provide a fairly permanent stop if you were to fall. I bought this to the attention of the staff and if I'd had my 3 yo with me would not have stayed in that room.
The luxury bathrooms have clearly been expensively appointed but again it's a swing and a miss, the heavy shower head over the bath, (no actual shower cubicle) had been dropped so many times the bath was horribly chipped. Ruining the whole effect. The dead lucky bamboo could have been removed too!
My main grip tho is the lack if cleanliness. The cups were dirty, the wall piece headboard was dusty as hell and the sheet had stains of an unpleasant nature on them.
Basically this hotel had elements of a 4* hotel but missed things you would expect from a 3*
No parking rounded off the reasons why I'd never stay there again it I fact recommend it.
Redeeming features, James on reception knew the area well, explained the hotel features and saved me cash on the car park round the corner. And we loved the entry to the bar being a tardis.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank traceyrmj
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed just one night for a special occasion and we really enjoyed it! Booking early we got our choice of room, at the bargain price of £76.

We arrived a little early but they took our bags, labelled them and had them ready in our room when we arrived back a little later on.

We had room 2, which was lovely - big comfy bed, huge bathroom and whirlpool bath. We were missing a hairdryer but they promptly brought one up for us. Otherwise, couldn't really fault the room. Yes, the windows open out onto the street, so you have to be a little careful about wandering around with no clothes on, but that didn't bother us too much.

Breakfast was fantastic, as expected based on reviews. One of us had the full meaty breakfast, packed with local produce, plus lots of coffee. The other stuck to fruit and yoghurt, followed by pancakes with strawberries and golden syrup. All excellent.

Location is great, right on the waterfront. Can be a bit noisy but it didn't bother us. The bar downstairs was really good - even though it was busy the bartender James was really attentive and even made cocktails on request if we provided a rough recipe.

I guess the only thing we'd say is that we would have liked 1) a fan in the room - it was hot even in October and even with the windows open/heating off and 2) bubble bath so we could make the most of the whirlpool bath!

Room Tip: Room 2 was lovely - the whirlpool bath with a cheeky nightcap was a real treat!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple