“Great location but not so great otherwise”

Jolyon's Boutique Hotel
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“Great location but not so great otherwise”
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived a little early and no answer. Went for a walk and came back after 3pm. Had to ring doorbell 5 times before we got an answer. We explained we had come to check in and followed the lady into a lounge. The extent if conversation was name, and credit card. We were taken to our room and then the woman left. Not shown anything in the room or advised where the breakfast room was.

Bedside tables were so unstable they were unusable, and the wifi advertised does not work. Plug in sink was broken.

Needs a good refurb, and some staff!!! Location great so if you are looking for a comfy bed and nothing else this place is fine otherwise avoid!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Simon M,

Thank you very much for your review, and I am sorry for the experience you had.

Please be advised all comments are taken seriously which enables us to review our training and standards at the Hotel.

We have already started to refurbish our rooms at the hotel, please if you do find your self in Cardiff in the near future please contact me direct for the best rate carl@jolyons.co.uk

Carl Davies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Berkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is fine. The front of house manager is very friendly and helpful and the rooms are comfortable, clean and nicely furnished. The bar isn't in use so the facilities are limited but for £85 for bed and breakfast for two is reasonable value. The location is excellent being immediately opposite the Millenium Centre and on the edge of Mermaid Quay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J B
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear JB

Thank you very much for your recent review. I have shred your comments with Jonathan who looks after the day to day operation of the property.

Jolyons Boutique Hotel is going under significant changes and will see the launch of new style of bedrooms and food and beverage concept.

With kind regards,

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed at Joylon's in the Bay a couple of weeks ago after finding myself without accommodation in Cardiff. Like the previous reviewer, there was no one at the hotel when I arrived and I also had to wait for someone to arrive to let me in. So.....they haven't learnt from my experience! Once in, I was pleased with what I found. The hotel was warm, the room was clean and well furnished with a selection of sweets. Perfectly adequate breakfast was served in the now closed down bar and restaurant in the basement cooked on a friendly and welcoming chef on a camping stove. No one was there to check me out, so I left the key without a receipt or information about how to get one! I'm not sure what the plans for the hotel are but it is all a bit odd! Like it's been forgotten......

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rebecca M
Dear Rebecca M,

Thank you very much for your recent comments. I am sorry nobody was there to check you out this usually is Our Hotel Host who would have waited at your table during breakfast.

Jolyons Boutique hotel is undergoing changes and will see the launch of a new exciting food and beverage development as well as new bedrooms.

We will look forward to welcoming you back,

kind regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I'm currently 'enjoying' a stay at this establishment. I arrived at 8.30 this evening to discover nobody at home -- a problem compounded by the fact that I was stuck outside in driving rain wearing my best suit. After a fruitless 30 minutes, pressing bells, banging aimlessly on doors, checking windows, I eventually found myself -- by then a drowned rat -- at a restaurant next door where they explained that my plight was a not an uncommon experience. They very kindly phoned the hotel number (as someone with an Irish phone and this is the UK it was not something I'd liked to have had to do myself). The person at the end of the line said the immortal words -- 'somebody will be right with you -- and then the line went dead. 10 minutes later a breathless staff member turned up explaining all apologetically that the staff are located some distance away at a different establishment. He asked if I'd received 'the note'. I (evidentially) hadn't. It seems there's no one on duty after 6pm. A bit of a problem when you're on a plane that lands after 8! The nice staff person showed me to my room and then left to go back to wherever it is that all these staff people actually work. So, here I am in a room, for all I know the only sole in the building, with a sink that is malfunctioning, but nobody to call. The only good thing to report is that I check out tomorrow. A PLACE TO AVOID!!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank DavidandMelissa
Dear David,

Thank you very much for your comments. I have tried to call you and also the bookers of your accommodation to offer apologies for this matter, it is with great disappointment to read of this.

Jolyons Boutique Hotel is going under significant changes all for the better including new room refurbishment and the introductory of a new food and beverage concept.

With renewed regards,

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

From booking all the way the customer service we received was very good. Jonathan, who looked after us at the hotel couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We stayed in room 1 which was very clean, had a lovely comfortable bed. The downstairs bar has closed so no issues with noise. Great location.

A few things in the room could use a little updating, but overall very good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KHathaway196
Dear KHathaway196 ,

Thank you very much for your comments, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us, Jonathan is a credit to the hotel.

Jolyons Boutique Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment of its rooms and we will be introducing a new exciting food and beverage concept.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed ovenight at this hotel as a birthday weekend treat. The location of the hotel is perfect if you want to be in the centre of all the cafes, bars and attractions. Stayed in room 5 which had a a fabulous view across the bay and of the Millenium Centre, athough there was quite a lot of noise early in the morning from delivery vans outside delivering goods to the surrounding bars. The room itself was clean and comfortable with a huge bathroom but the old television and shelving for the tea and coffee facilities could do with updating as it felt out of place with the theme of the room. The room could also do with a small table to be able to sit at to drink a cup of tea or glass of wine . Whilst there were tea and coffee facilities in the room there were no biscuits provided which I would have expected in a boutique hotel and £100 a night.

There was no information provided about the facilities of the hotel in the room. I had to ask what time breakfast was available from and was told that it was 8 until 10am. The following morning we went down for breakfast at 9.40 to find it deserted and everything had been cleared away. Only the chef was around who told us that that breakfast was 7.30-9.30am - which is an unreasonable time for breakfast to finish on a Sunday morning. He did say we could still choose anything off the menu and made us a drink. We felt uncomfortable so we asked for something quick as we were hungry and then left.

At 10.30 we also received a knock on the room door from the cleaner asking what time we were leaving. Checkout was not supposed to be until 12pm.

Overall, the hotel is clean and comfortable in a great location but the service could be improved upon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear AR,

thank you very much for your review, comments such as yours highlight training to be reviewed with the team.

Jolyons Boutique Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment of its rooms and we will be introducing a new food and beverage concept.

It would give us great pleasure to welcome you back to see the changes.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The term "boutique hotel" carries a certain expectation - an attention to detail you wouldn't get in a big chain. At first glance, this place ticked the boxes (apart from my initial arrival, where I had to wait outside ringing the bell for 5 minutes til someone came up from the bar). My room (Number 1) was a good size, had nice toiletries in the bathroom, a wet room shower, a dock for your ipod and an impressive large four poster bed. There was a nice touch in the inclusion of proper coffee and hot chocolate next to the kettle.

So far, great. But as the evening progressed I got more and more annoyed, to the point where I started entering each minor and major annoyance into my phone's Notes app. Here they are, unedited.

Having to wait for the bar downstairs to close before going to sleep - 1.15am on a Thursday night! Website says 11. [The music and talking were extremely loud]
Some missing light bulbs in the bathroom
No minibar in the room
Old fashioned TV right up in the corner by the ceiling
Badly fitting blinds in the bathroom [bear in mind this was ground floor, backing onto a beer garden]
The worst wifi ever. [Couldn't get a connection all evening]
No apology for the noise when complained in the morning. Guy said "Strange, it shouldn't have been open til then"
V mediocre full welsh breakfast in grotty bar. No sausage available, no toast or orange juice

Combine all the above with unprofessional staff, who clearly would rather be serving in the bar and feel the hotel is a massive inconvenience, it's a shocker. If it had been advertised as a generic 3 star hotel I would have let most of the above go (apart from the bar noise, which is unforgivable anywhere).

Plus points: Clean, extremely close to Millenium Centre.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in the ground floor room, you may as well try to sleep in the bar.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LizMcMahon73
Dear LizMcMahon73,

Thank you very much for your comments, it is with great regret to read of your comments regarding your stay.

Jolyons Boutique Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment on its bedroom and we will also be introducing and exciting new food and beverage concept.

It would give me great pleasure to welcome you back for a much better hotel experience.

With kind regards,