“Disappointed”

Jolyon's Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at Jolyon's at cardiff bay last night. We had a lovely room, room 6 which also had a balcony which was fab. However, having booked a luxury room the one thing i would have expected it to have was hot running water but no. There is no staff at the hotel in the evening so we rung the sister hotel in cardiff road, basically they were no help whatsoever and didn't want to know. Told us that they would be over to sort out and would ring when they were near but that was the last we heard of them so no bath for me, not able to wash my hair after being out in cardiff all day, and had to go out in the evening without a wash. The saving grace for this hotel and the only reason i would go back is the brilliant Johnathan who works in the hotel during the day. He was very apologetic, and absolutely lovely. So shame on you jolyon's cathedral road for not caring about your customers.

Room Tip: Room 6 is wonderful as long as you make sure you have hot running water, and don't rely on staff...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danielj1Wales
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear danielj1Wales,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Jolyons at The Bay, please accept my apologies for the service you received via our Cathedral road property which I will certainly be investigating.

I am thrilled to read that Jonathan looked after you during your stay.

Many kind regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hotel manager couldn't have been more helpful and friendly and even though I was a bit early was happy to book me in straight away.
The room was gorgeous with everything I needed with a lovely personal touch added throughout.
I was seeing a show at the millennium centre which was literally just across from hotel which was absolutely perfect for me.
Breakfast was great served in a really comfortable and cosy dining/lounge area with so much choice and again friendly lovely helpful staff.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel and the manager couldn't have made me feel more welcome and I would definitely stay there again and recommend it highly.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sue T

Dear Sue T,

thank you for choosing to stay with us at Jolyons Boutique Hotels.

I am thrilled to read that Jonathan looked after your through your stay and we will look forward to seeing you for you next trip to Cardiff.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for one night midweek. We stayed in room 2 which was quite pleasant. The room was a generous size. Best bit was the lovely comfortable bed, closely followed by a great breakfast with decent coffee. The staff, in particular Jonathan, could not have been more pleasant and really make the stay more pleasant.
On balance I prefer the sister hotel but I would still stay here again

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Communinja M

Dear Communinja M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Jolyons Boutique Hotel.

I am glad to read you enjoyed the comfort of your room and we will look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Jolyons Boutique hotel on 26 April 2014 after celebrating my boyfriend's 30 birthday. The room was lovely, with a balcony and a large bathroom with a huge bath.

Everything was spotless and the staff were so helpful and friendly and completed what had been a lovely night of celebrating with friends and family.

Breakfast the following morning in the Cwtch bar below the hotel was really good with plenty of choice as to what you'd like to start the day so all in all we would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Danielle V,

Thank you very much for choosing Jolyons at The Bay for your partners birthday celebrations.

I am thrilled to read that you had a great stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is our second time at this lovely boutique hotel (only 6 rooms) right in the heart of Cardiff Bay. We have also stayed at Jolyons at No 10 but prefer the friendly personal touch of the boutique. We were made very welcome by the lovely Jonathon who was helpful at all times which added to a very pleasant stay. Our room (2) overlooked the bay area and was a reasonable size with a comfortable bed and jacuzzi bath (hand-held shower only). It is a little dated but an upgrade is planned soon we were told. There is tea/coffee making facilites and also a selection of little sweets, a nice touch. Breakfast on both days was excellent, overseen by Jonathon and had a selection of juice, cereals etc followed by a Full Welsh perfectly cooked to order by a friendly chef.
Parking outside is short stay however there is a car park a few minutes drive away near to St David's Hotel for £7 for 24 hours. You can take a shortcut to walk back to the hotel through the bars/restaurants of the bay (of which there are many).
As well as all the bay has to offer Cardiff is a great city. You can easily get public transport, the aquabus is fun, £7 return, up the River Taff to Cardiff Castle. Otherwise you can walk to the city centre in around 20 mins.
All in all, we had a fantastic stay and will be returning to Jolyons in the autumn.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank GwladGwlad

Dear GwladGwlad,

Thank you very much for your review and I am glad to read you were well looked after by Jonathan.

We are pretty much 50% our way through refurbishing our guest rooms and now we have also added a 7th room.

It would give me great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future for your next visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived a little early and no answer. Went for a walk and came back after 3pm. Had to ring doorbell 5 times before we got an answer. We explained we had come to check in and followed the lady into a lounge. The extent if conversation was name, and credit card. We were taken to our room and then the woman left. Not shown anything in the room or advised where the breakfast room was.

Bedside tables were so unstable they were unusable, and the wifi advertised does not work. Plug in sink was broken.

Needs a good refurb, and some staff!!! Location great so if you are looking for a comfy bed and nothing else this place is fine otherwise avoid!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Simon M,

Thank you very much for your review, and I am sorry for the experience you had.

Please be advised all comments are taken seriously which enables us to review our training and standards at the Hotel.

We have already started to refurbish our rooms at the hotel, please if you do find your self in Cardiff in the near future please contact me direct for the best rate carl@jolyons.co.uk

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel is fine. The front of house manager is very friendly and helpful and the rooms are comfortable, clean and nicely furnished. The bar isn't in use so the facilities are limited but for £85 for bed and breakfast for two is reasonable value. The location is excellent being immediately opposite the Millenium Centre and on the edge of Mermaid Quay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J B
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear JB

Thank you very much for your recent review. I have shred your comments with Jonathan who looks after the day to day operation of the property.

Jolyons Boutique Hotel is going under significant changes and will see the launch of new style of bedrooms and food and beverage concept.

With kind regards,