“a lovely stay”

Jolyon's Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We received a happy welcome from Jonathan who was lovely and helpful from beginning to the end of our stay. A lovely clean and pleasant room, comfy bed and a nice breakfast, what more could you ask for. Very close to the theatre and many bars and restaurants. Looking forward to our next theatre trip and a night at Jolyons. thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah Y
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Sarah Y,

Thank you for you great feedback and I am glad to read Jonathan looked after you well.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Cardiff

kind regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I must explain that I have stayed at Jolyon's Cardiff Bay before but I had a calamity when attempting to book again recently.The "poor" rating above relates to this rather than my general impressions of the hotel.
Based on my previous experience there are many positives - the location is good for the bay area,my room was attractive and funky ( especially the bathroom) and the staff polite and welcoming.I got the impression that it is seriously understaffed at times.The following morning one member of staff coped courageously and politely with cooking my breakfast and then checking me out (involving a rush up several flights of stairs to do so!)
Attempting to book again I used a very reliable on line booking agency which I have used many times before and got confirmation of the booking.Wishing to extend my stay by an extra night I contacted the hotel directly, who were clueless about my booking. In short I would have arrived at this hotel with no accommodation available! My booking agency say that they have had problems before with this hotel - apparently they have a very antiquated fax system and I am not overconfident that their communications in general are very good. My advice to travellers is to book directly with these two hotels and keep your fingers crossed!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear LladeilloHoward,

Thank you very much for your feed back. All online agencies are connect directly to our booking system and only when booking direct do we manually input. Fax input does not take place I am sorry that you experienced an issue with that.

Thank you for your review and we do hope to see you on your next on your next visit to Cardiff.

General Manger

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We came here for afternoon tea as part of a groupon voucher. It looked like everyone else had the same idea, as it was very busy. I can completely appreciate that it was busy, and there is bound to be a delay, which there was. Firstly, we were sat next to a table of 2 ladies who had been waiting before us, but we got ours first which was a bit awkward. We weren't offered tea when our sandwiches and cake came out, so had to wait to grab someone else's attention. The sandwiches were ok, and some of the cake was edible. The victoria sponge was slightly stale, and I'm pretty sure if I'd thrown a scone at someone they wouldn't be here to tell the tale..SO hard! The milk came out in a cup rather than a jug. Have you ever tried pouring milk from a cup? it's difficult! The tea was terrible, probably because it was teabags rather than tea leaves.
Apart from the above there was an argument in the kitchen area between staff that we could all hear quite clearly, not really what we all wanted to know about!
I think this is most disappointing because we chose to come back here after coming in November. We have been for a few afternoon teas in Cardiff and this was my favourite. When we visited in November it was a totally different experience. Nothing was too much trouble, the sandwiches were delicious and the cake selection was great. Perhaps this was because it was a very quiet November afternoon compared to a busy Sunday in May, but I'm just so disappointed and won't be coming back.

1  Thank Lalaluna29
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Keely T,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent experience of Afternoon tea.

Afternoon tea service was at our Sister Property Jolyon's at No 10 and not Cardiff Bay, But needless to say I am completely stunned by your experience.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the short comings you experienced and I am sorry if this marred your time with us. I consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded a team who genuinely care about guests comfort and enjoyment during their stay and I am frustrated that during your time with us we were unable to either pre-empt or totally rectify the problems faced – it is never our intention for our guests to leave unhappy.

Apologies and Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

When we arrived and rang the buzzer, it was answered promptly by a dour, curt, ungracious woman who seemed inconvenienced to check us in and show us to our room. She wasn't mean or unpleasant, but was not welcoming. In reading the responses from management to earlier negative reviews promising better staff training, clearly this has not been successfully imparted to her. She does not understand how off-putting her brusque behavior is. It's called "the hospitality industry" for a reason.

At breakfast the next morning, the host and cook we're were thoroughly charming and attentive. We enjoyed an extended conversation with them and even chose to delay our departure to continue the chat.

The view from room 5 was spectacular and the furnishings were nicely contemporary. The large and modern bathroom was another matter. Some of the grout around the tub had a little mildew. At least one floor tile was loose and a significant amount of the floor tile grout was completely missing. It looked like a very poor installation. Getting the hand-held shower to work took a few minutes of fiddling, as the diverted valve was completely frozen. I was only successful in freeing it enough by prying it. I'm glad I brought my Leatherman along and am mechanical. Thinking I had solved all of the stumbling blocks to a nice shower, I then discovered the attachment to hold the hand-held shower to the wall was broken. So we settled for European-style sit down showers in the spacious tub. In general, the property seems to have been refurbished somewhat poorly.

Our final negative experience was how much it cost to park at the nearby pay & display car park. We were out until late and left by 9:00AM, but had to pay £15.

Jolyons describes itself as a boutique hotel. The definition of "boutique" is a small business, department, etc., specializing in one aspect of a larger industry. Jolyons doesn't really specialize in anything.

Dear ScooterEncinitas,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Jolyons Boutique Hotel.

Your comments have been taken on board to help with our team training.

We are currently 75% through our accommodation refurbishment programme for bedrooms and bathrooms, It really would be great to see you visit us again, I would hate for this experience to deter you from staying with us upon your next visit to Cardiff

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

My husband booked Jolyons #10 in Cardiff City Centre for my birthday along with a car parking space. We arrived and had to wait while the receptionist tried to sort out two couples who had booked a suite each but there was only one available!!! Our turn came and although they'd booked a space for our car, they had actually booked our room down the Bay at Jolyons Boutique Hotel. The receptionist couldn't help as they were full - we weren't impressed. However, thank you Jolyons #10 for being incompetent as the Bay hotel was fantastic!!. Jonathan, who runs the place is one of the nicest people I have ever met, he literally couldn't do enough for us and even tho the room my husband had booked wasn't even available, he let us have a look at the rooms that were available and choose which one we wanted. He was really attentive and really personalised our stay, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. The hotel itself is lovely, the room we chose was large with a lovely bathroom. The bed was comfy and we overlooked the Basin and the Millennium Centre. It's just round the corner from all the bars and restaurants on the Bay, so the location is great and it was only a few pounds for a taxi into the City Centre. The breakfast was nice too. Basically, if you're looking for a base to stay in Cardiff this is where you should stay. Jonathan, if you're reading this, thanks for making my birthday and Management, if you're reading this, sort your other place out and give Jonathan a pay rise as he makes your Bay hotel!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paula H

Dear hippygirl12,

Thank you for your feed back regarding your stay, I am so happy to read Johnathan looked after you well, and he is totally thrilled with your comments.

Again please accept my apologies for your experience at our sister property

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at Jolyon's at cardiff bay last night. We had a lovely room, room 6 which also had a balcony which was fab. However, having booked a luxury room the one thing i would have expected it to have was hot running water but no. There is no staff at the hotel in the evening so we rung the sister hotel in cardiff road, basically they were no help whatsoever and didn't want to know. Told us that they would be over to sort out and would ring when they were near but that was the last we heard of them so no bath for me, not able to wash my hair after being out in cardiff all day, and had to go out in the evening without a wash. The saving grace for this hotel and the only reason i would go back is the brilliant Johnathan who works in the hotel during the day. He was very apologetic, and absolutely lovely. So shame on you jolyon's cathedral road for not caring about your customers.

Room Tip: Room 6 is wonderful as long as you make sure you have hot running water, and don't rely on staff...
1  Thank danielj1Wales
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear danielj1Wales,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Jolyons at The Bay, please accept my apologies for the service you received via our Cathedral road property which I will certainly be investigating.

I am thrilled to read that Jonathan looked after you during your stay.

Many kind regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hotel manager couldn't have been more helpful and friendly and even though I was a bit early was happy to book me in straight away.
The room was gorgeous with everything I needed with a lovely personal touch added throughout.
I was seeing a show at the millennium centre which was literally just across from hotel which was absolutely perfect for me.
Breakfast was great served in a really comfortable and cosy dining/lounge area with so much choice and again friendly lovely helpful staff.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel and the manager couldn't have made me feel more welcome and I would definitely stay there again and recommend it highly.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sue T

Dear Sue T,

thank you for choosing to stay with us at Jolyons Boutique Hotels.

I am thrilled to read that Jonathan looked after your through your stay and we will look forward to seeing you for you next trip to Cardiff.