“Becoming a regular here”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I travel to Cardiff frequently for business and have stayed in a variety of hotels in the city and surrounding area. This is now my preferred hotel. The hotel is a good 4 star and certainly justifies the rating. Staff are consistently helpful and friendly. Facilities are excellent with good gym, pool, free wifi and the food in the bar and restaurant are excellent standard. Breakfast is excellent.

The rooms are big, spacious, comfortable, very clean and well equipped with huge comfortable beds. There is no carpark, but directly opposite the hotel there is a carpark and the hotel can get a discount for you.

The hotel is in a great central location in the city and the only negative is the noise from the bars and clubs opposite, especially at weekends. I would highly recommend this hotel and have entertained customers here several times.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel can be noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JDE260767
There are newer reviews for Park Plaza Cardiff

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Beautiful Hotel classy newly decroated rooms, fabbbbb pool great price right in the heart of the town, I would highly recommend. This is more 5 star than the Hilton and in a perfect location for seeing any night life, you can park across the road for £14 pounds a night which is cheaper than most

Room Tip: I chose standard room and that was faultless so any rooms are good. Bring your own drinks if you ca...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Arrived, given a disabled room. Reception said they'd move us to a normal room. We waited for reception to bring up the new key ad they'd offered. We waited 30 minutes and no one came. Went to reception and the lady said "oh, sorry i forgot about you I'm busy". New room seemed lovely. Room 130 is a hell hole. At 2am on a Sunday more you'll be woken by the screaming shouting fighting drunks coming out of the pubs and clubs opposite. At 5 am you'll be woken by the rubbish truck and cleaners. At 8.30am you might still be asleep because you've been up half the night and also because you have young children so you would
like an incredibly rare chance of a lay in on your one night a year away from the kids, the people using, opening, visiting the spa will wake you making enough noise to wake the dead. When you go to breakfast you'll be told to queue up as they are busy. The restaurant was half full be apparently that's all they can cope with. AVOID THIS HOTEL. IT'S NOT WORTH HALF OF THE £169 WE PAID TO STAY 1 NIGHT. oh , nearly forgot, don't bother complaining to the hotel online afterwards as they will ignore you

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Pdhappy
ParkPlazaCardiff, Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay with us.

I can assure you, we take all complaints very seriously and regret that we have not received previous correspondence from you. I note your comments with reference to noise, be assured that the hotel management and owners have regular dialogue with the Council regarding the policing and noise pollution and we have also invested in triple glazing for our front facing bedrooms.

My team and I would like to extend our apologies to you for the delay with your room move and also the wait to be seated for breakfast. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard.

I very much appreciate your feedback on all other aspects of the hotel and I will be relaying your comments to the management team. Thank you

Reviewed 27 September 2012

Was given a very small room on the lower floors initially but with hot water problems once explained to the hotel duty manager wee wee treated very well and upgraded to a penthouse apartment which made for a lovely weekend stay for my wife and I. Very helpful staff and a nice restaurant for breakfast which is served later at weekends - recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

hotel is designed beautifully, very welcoming, staff very helpful. excellent location near high street and university, very close to shopping and restaurants.
very big rooms, clean and well maintained.
breakfast was very good as well, breakfast room is gorgeous.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

My wife and I only spent a night in Cardiff and we enjoyed the experience of the hotel. The rooms were large and well set out while the bathroom having both a bath and separate shower. It was also good to have an iron and ironing board available in the room. We ate in the restaurant and the food was very nice and reasonably priced. We found the staff very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Our room had the view of a NCP car park and several nightclubs. Even though the windows had double glazing, we were kept awake by the noise. We ate at the hotel in the evening and were not impressed with the food. When we went down to breakfast we were asked to wait in the lounge area until a table became available - this is a first for breakfast. There were many other people waiting too. After a 15 minute wait, I asked if we might be able to have breakfast in the near future and the head waiter found us a table straight away. We couldn't understand why they directed so many guests into the lounge area as so many tables seemed available. I found the head waiter's attitude very aggressive and when I went for a swim in the morning the staff at the spa seemed almost put out that I had interrupted their conversation to ask for directions to the pool. At a charge of nearly £150.00 for a twin room I expected to have a good night's sleep, to be seated for breakfast without having to wait and a bath robe would have been nice for guests who wish to use the swimming pool. I would definitely not recommend this hotel and would never stay there in future.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank jacqui d
ParkPlazaCardiff, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

I would like to thank you for your recent review and can only apologise for any issues you experienced during your stay. I am disappointed to read that you waited for sometime to be seated for breakfast and that when eventually seated the welcome was not up to our usually high standards and I will be addressing this matter with the team. During busy breakfast periods we do try and accommodate all our guests as quickly as possible and have an area in our lobby where guests can sit and help themselves to juice and pastries whilst a table becomes available. With regards to your disturbed nights sleep and, being a city centre hotel, we have already added secondary glazing plus soundproofing with acoustic panels with wall insulation to mitigate the impact of the street. I do hope you reconsider staying with us in the near future and would like to express my sincere apologies once again. If you would like to contact me personally please ask for myself L Hembury, Front Office Manager.