“Amazing”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here New Year's Eve 2012! Had a room overlooking city hall so could see all the attractions and the fireworks! We arrived late afternoon to be offered bellinis and chocolate by the lovely receptionists. Check in was very quick and there were bellboys to help with luggage if yiu needed it. Rooms were beautiful and immaculate. We had a high floor quiet room and had no problem with an outside or inside noise. Breakfast in the morning was a very civilised affair with very attentive waitresses and a perfect breakfast. It was self service for the food but they brought tea and coffee to the table. There was everything on offer from full English to pancakes and waffles, you can even order from the breakfast menu if there was nothing you fancied. The bar at h hotel was great too! I ordered a blueberry martini which was delicious! The spa looked amazing and had lots of services to offer - we didn't have time to use the facilities though.
Great hotel, perfect position in the city centre, well worth the visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a high quiet room facing city hall!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Good rather than 'fantastic' of some other reviews. The location is in city centre which has benefits and drawbacks. The drawback for light sleepers is noise: room at the front (overlooks late night bars); room at the back (overlooks busy road). I asked for a 'quiet' room and was given one of the few (sort of) rooms at the side (audable but ok traffic noise), but was told there are inner 'courtyard' rooms which I assume are the most quiet?

Rooms were fine in terms of size and facilties, but 'darker' curtains (to stop light disturbing sleep from dawn) and 'lighter' duvet useful. Given the fine quality restaurant, breaklfast was ordinary (although did not go for paid extrtas such as ehggs benedict), and coffee was very poor (caffine fix available at Lloyds bar opposite).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Saturday 6th July 2013 for 1 night with 3 other friends. It was my best friends hen night and we wanted a night out in Cardiff. None of us had ever been before but I was recommended this hotel by my parents as they loved it. We all have children and live at opposite ends of the country so it was important that this weekend was perfect. I had travelled from York and My best friend and the rest of our group had travelled up from Devon. The hen loved the hotel, my friends had spoken to reception and let them know that I would be checking in separately as the hen didn't know I was coming as it was a surprise! When I got to the hotel I explained who I was and she smiled and explained she already knew and told me where to go. Reception were extremely helpful and friendly. My first thought on the hotel were that the location is excellent, The lobby is very welcoming. I lived the huge seating area and amazing lights. All went to plan and I surprised my friend at our room! The room itself was gorgeous. Beds were comfy, It was very clean. Lovely huge windows and mirrors. Air con which we really needed and a flat screen tv. The best part was the shower!! It was brilliant! We had our night out in Cardiff, Which was a stroll from the hotel, and it was fab!
We went down to breakfast the next day and the staff could not do enough for us. The chef was very funny, cheeky and friendly! Our waitress brought us 4 massive jugs of coffee to help aid a few thick heads! The breakfast was amazing, There was everything you can think of. After breakfast we went and sat on the veranda next to the restaurant without coffees. Beautiful little area, Could have stayed there all day. After breakfast had settled we decided to use the pool. It was amazing, It was so warm! The jacuzzi was even warmer. We only had just over an hour in there before we had to leave but it was an hour well spent. We collected our bags from reception and it was at that point that I realised I had lost my phone. Reception rang it for me but I still couldn't find it. I ran back to the pool area panicking and still couldn't find it. Eventually my friend came back with it - A cleaner had found it and handed it in! It is a very expensive phone and she didn't have to do though so I am very grateful. We have already decided we are coming back for a visit again as soon as possible! Thank you for a PERFECT weekend For me and my friends. x

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed on 30th June on a Sunday spa package.we were able to vhevk in early which was nice.we had a treatment each booked in the spa which was excellent.after this we took drinks in the bar in the early evening before dinner.very pleasant knowledgeable bar staff.dinner was excellent and atmosphere in the restaurant good. The room was very spacious and a huge comfy bed. Breakfast in the morning was off a high standard and we cant wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The Park Plaza in Cardiff in located near the main attraction: the castle. From the outside the building looks like an uninteresting office building, but inside it offers a good atmosphere and styling. The lobby is quite large, the reception small and squeezed in the left corner. But the staff behind the counter is helpful and friendly. There are a lot of seating possibilities around a cheminée and free WIFI.

In the back part of the lobby there is a restaurant, for breakfast in the morning, lunch and dinner during the day and in the evening. Qualitiy of food is ok, not more.

The rooms are spacious and well equipped. You'll find all amenities, hair dryer, room safe, iron and iron board.

The beds are comfortable and large. the windows can be opened just a tiny bit, but enough to get fresh air. But you can hear also the traffic with closed windows from the nearby street. In case you got a roon at the rear side of the hotel, you might see the green trees from your window. But especially on weekends and warm days, people will continue their parties until late night outside the restaurant which will make sleeping in our room difficult.

The condition of the rooms is ok, at some places it needs urgently renovation. In my room (202) around the shower the walls were wet and the paint was dissolving.

In case you run into a problem you can call 0 on your phone for reception (all the other buttons
on your phone do not work!), and usually the service is quick to help you whenever possible.

The fitness centre at the 1.floor is spacious and well equipped. The pool is quite large, about 8 x 20 meters, all in aluminium with salt water, not chlorid disinfection. In the pool there are 4 impressive columns. On the back side you'll find a large whirlpool. It is also possible to go outside during the warm season. (Is there any in Cardiff??)

Internet WiFi connection is available, mostly included in the room rate, the speed is ok.

In my view I can recommend this hotel also for a longer stay. I stayed 10 days and felt comfortable and taken care of. Just be carefully at breakfast: once you leave your seat to get new food, your dishes and place will be cleared immediately. Bring anything big to make your statement: this is my seat, I am not leaving!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We came to Cardiff for a 3 night stay and my partner decided to book the Park Plaza due to the reviews. We booked via booking.com at a competitive price for the area.

The check in was fine and our room was plenty sufficient for our needs. The bed was two 4ft pushed together but plenty of room for a goods night sleep. The pillows were those soft fall in to kind which I'm not keen on but when asking reception for a firm pillow they gave us two each. The decor was modern but neutral with a 32" flat TV screen with freeview. The bathroom had a bath with a shower, the shower pressure was high and you could alternate from an overhead shower and a handheld shower. The bathroom had complimentary shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and shower cap. The towels were big and fluffy, not a tiny make do towel!! Although the hairdryer is low powered and pointless, I'd take your own if you have thick hair!!

The decor of the hotel was obviously done a couple of years ago which now has started to look shabby in some areas like the carpet on the hotel floors, the carpet is grey with clumps near the lift where the carpet has lifted. But overall that shouldn't put you off. Other examples are the seals on the bathroom sink/round the toilet. Also the wardrobes were slightly chipped, if I was being picky.

The lounge and bar areas are lovely with marble effect tiled walls and floors, quite modern and clean looking.

The customer service was overall good in this hotel, the hotel was overall nice and clean.

The hotel was very central to many restaurants, pubs and shopping. It's also not too far from Cardiff Castle. It was situated opposite a Wetherspoons Lloyds bar which is ideal for breakfast or an evening meal/drink.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 27 June 2013

It was our very first visit to Cardiff (& Wales), and we came here for my husband's shoulder surgery. It was the right choice for us to stay at Park Plaza Cardiff, because the room was clean, modern and comfortable, and the location was excellent and was within a walking distance to the shopping area, nice restaurants/cafe and some sightseeing places. The service was nice, the restaurant was very nice, and we could relax without any frustration while my husband had to go through a pain after the surgery. I wished I had a chance to use the swimming pool!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple