“Great Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Romford, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My Wife and I stayed in the hotel during the Rugby League World Cup in October. The room was excellent very clean, tidy and large. The service was very good and so was the breakfast. I can say it was a joy to stay there

Room Tip: Executive rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a 3-night break for our anniversary. The hotel is lovely, a perfect mix of style and substance. The restaurant was perfectly good, though with so much choice in the city centre only a footstep away, you're not bound to eat there.

We found the staff to be extremely welcoming and knowledgeable, and after one tiny hiccough, the way in which they rectified the issue was professional, thoughtful and reassuring.

We specifically asked for a room at the back of the hotel, and found it to be very restful. There are a couple of large clubs across the road from the front of the hotel, but we didn't hear much coming from them even while we were in the lobby. The rooms are well equipped, comfortable, clean and stylish, as are all the public areas. We especially liked the bar area, which served great cocktails. There is a lovely outdoor decking area too, but during our visit it was a little damp, so we elected to stay inside instead!

This hotel and its staff made our anniversary perfect and special, and we hope to return again very soon.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter, and overlook a leafy verge, which takes away the sight of a road. We...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank E G
Marlborough
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed the first weekend in November with my husband for a well needed break . We upgraded to a suite and were greeted by friendly reception staff and a welcoming reception area. Our room was modern, clean and comfortable , we were pleasantly surprised ! Champagne and a beautiful bouquet of roses were waiting in the room, a present from my husband.
All was fantastic until about 2 in the morning when we were woken by the nightclubs directly opposite . Music, fighting ,shouting, police sirens were all we heard until about 4:45 when the streets cleared . I finally fell asleep about 5 to be woken at 8 by the normal hustle of a busy hotel. Home now and absolutely shattered, not quite the relaxing break we were hoping for.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one , if there is such a thing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clairealex
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The hotel is modern and stylish, with our room being smartly presented in a contemporary style - nice lighting, furnishings and modern art on the walls. The room was clean and spacious and made a very good base for the weekend in Cardiff.

I particularly liked the bed which was a 6 foot wide affair, with a nice firm mattress and supportive pillows. The usual tea and coffee supplies were present, with good storage, an iron and board, and hair dryer in the bathroom.

The bathroom was also very smartly appointed, with a nice powerful shower and bath tub, large mirrors and a very modern feel.

This takes me to my first constructive feedback about the hotel. The room was excellent, but, on Friday and Saturday night, you could hear the music, laughter and shouting from the bars across the street until the early hours. Having been walking around Cardiff all day seeing the sights, it wasn't a huge problem for us as we were exhausted so slept pretty well. (and also didn't return till late ourselves). But if you are a light sleeper and not much of a party animal, you may find it annoying.

I have some sympathy for the hotel, they have installed secondary glazing, so what else can they do? I would guess the situation is not as bad in the week.

The staff were professional and efficient, I can't comment on the hotel facilities as we were too busy taking in Cardiff to use them.

The price was at the upper end of what I would expect to pay, but based on the quality and location of the hotel, I have no objection.

It's worth noting there is no car park, but there's a 24 hour NCP car park right opposite the hotel and there were plenty of spaces when we arrived at 6pm on a Friday.

So, great base to spend a weekend in Cardiff, the hotel is smart, clean, modern and a nice place to spend time, shame about their noisy neighbours who I suspect frustrate the hotel management as much as the guests.

It would not stop me staying again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neil B
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I booked a spa break package which consisted of champagne afternoon tea and a spa treatment. I upgraded the room to a junior suite, which having stayed in the hotel before, is worth the extra as you get a lot more space and lovely extras. We arrived at the hotel at 12noon and our room was ready. We had a large corner room on the third floor at the back of the hotel. The room was beautifully decorated with a seating area and a modern large bathroom with a bath and separate shower cubicle. The toiletries were nice, lovely soft towels and robes and slippers were also provided. We also had a welcome tray with water, half a bottle of wine and chocolates. The standard of the room was superb, one of the nicest hotel rooms I've stayed in for a while and the best I've stayed in in Cardiff.
Our afternoon tea was booked for 1.30pm in the Laguna restaurant. We were warmly welcomed and taken to our table. We could choose from a selection of teas and then we were presented with a glass of champagne and a three tier stand covered in cakes, scones and sandwiches. The selection and quality was wonderful. All the food was delicious, as too were the champagne and tea. Our waitress was attentive and very friendly and the atmosphere in the restaurant was relaxing and calm. We couldn't eat all the cakes, so the waitress kindly allowed us to take our remaining tea to our room to enjoy later that day.
Our spa treatments were booked for 4.30pm. We were asked to wait in the relaxation room and enjoy a glass of juice before our treatments. I had a massage and my mum had a facial and both treatments were very good.
We had dinner reservations in the nearby 'The Chapel' restaurant and returned to our room about 10.30pm.
The bed was very comfortable and the pillows and duvet were of good quality and again, very comfortable. I dropped off to sleep very quickly but was awoken at 1am by the noise from other bathrooms. As the rooms above us were using their taps or flushing their toilets the noise in our room was awful. This continued throughout the night and on top of the traffic noise from outside, I didn't sleep after 1am.
Breakfast was served in the Laguna restaurant, we were warmly welcomed and taken to our table. We were swiftly given tea and the breakfast arrangements explained to us. The cooked breakfast was delicious. I ordered vegetarian sausages which I ate with mushrooms, beans, hash browns and scrambled egg, delicious! I was too full to eat anything else, but a selection of pastries, toast, meats and cheese, juices, fruit and pancakes were available. A fantastic selection and beautifully presented. Again, we found the restaurant staff to be welcoming, attentive, friendly and polite.
On check out I did raise my concerns about the noise from other bathrooms and shared my disappointment with having a disturbed nights sleep. The receptionist apologised and said she would report it.
Overall we had a great stay, the hotel is luxurious, in a fantastic central location and the service is excellent. The only downside was being disturbed during the night, the level of noise from other rooms and outside needs to be addressed.

• Stayed October 2013
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed here as it had a spa and was in a good location. Room was lovely and I was pleased we chose the hotel.
Our children were at their grandparents and it was an opportunity to have a lovely meal in the city and a good nights sleep.
This did not happen as we were right opposite 3 bars and between 2am and 4am the noise was awful!
I ended up going home more tired than when I arrived. Very Disappointed!
The sound proofing should be addressed as this is obviously an ongoing issue! Or the room discounted on a Monday might!
It's a lot of money to pay to not get a proper night sleep!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank GemmaEv
Bristol
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Comfortable bedroom - normal standard for 4 star. Poor welcome on arrival at reception desk but different staff there on departure very good. Liked the lobby lounge with comfy chairs. Breakfast good. Gym next door (access via 1st floor) well equipped. Spa treatments good but spa reception staff clueless. Main disadvantage of hotel is almost total lack of natural light, compounded by the fact that the bedroom looked out on to nearby large brick wall.

Room Tip: Better without a car as extra is charged for this
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo