“A few changes and it would be perfect.”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
London
“A few changes and it would be perfect.”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I booked a twin room at the Park Plaza for my sister and myself for the weekend to attend family commitments. Having stayed here a few times, travelling from London, its familiarity on arriving is always comforting (I grew up in Cardiff). We were allocated a twin room on the fourth floor facing the street and close proximity to a variety of bars and night life. I have no issue with people enjoying themselves, I did have an issue with the street level noise affecting my ability to relax and sleep. At around midnight (Friday night), I politely called the front of house team and explained the above and asked to be moved. I was moved promptly to an internal room and whilst I explained that the room provided had a double bed, as a male, my sister and I would not mind sharing a double bed ( a spare duvet was provided ). The following morning, after a peaceful sleep staff approached our breakfast table to inform my sister and I that a twin room was ready for our use for the remainder of our stay. For me that was a good example of what I would define as good customer service. No fuss, no discussion just positive action. That made the difference between our stay being a positive one, not a negative one. I will continue to use and recommend the Park Plaza in Cardiff and commend it's front of house staff for their professionalism, efficiency and kindness.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed here for one night in January for a friends hen party. We all booked in for treatments at the spa - all of which were amazing! We had lunch included which was delicious. Rooms were spacious, clean and warm. Fab shower with mini toiletries if you need them. The hotel is in a great location right in the centre of Cardiff. Perfect for shopping, nightlife, dining, sight seeing, etc. I would definitely recommend the Park Plaza, and would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: My friend "the hen" had a junior suite which was really lovely.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Paradise Valley AZ
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Perfect Location. Felt very safe. You can walk to EVERYTHING: amazing restaurants, great shopping, very busy and active town square, coffee, books, CARDIFF CASTLE is 1 block - so much to see and do!

The hotel staff was always attentive - we stayed 1 week. Lobby has afternoon tea and bar service. Room was a really good size. Room Service was excellent. The bar is extremely trendy, busy, sexy and posh. We went several times - each visit there we were treated like royalty in the bar. Amazing selection of so many wines, champagne, beer - very expert bartenders.

Highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Booked this hotel to meet up with some friends for a Birthday get together, the foyer and bar in the hotel are great, I was disappointed with the room 104 .
It was at the back of the hotel facing the road ,which was immensely noisy during the night , traffic and sirens !

We didn't arrive until early evening and were straight out to a restaurant, it wasn't until the next morning that i realized how grubby the room was , stained carpets, extremely dusty , fan in the bathroom was caked in dust, I dropped a earing and pushed back the bed to find it, and the dust under there was awful ,(hadn't been cleaned in a long time !!)

Spa was okay , only eight beds , floors extremely slippery, locker changing rooms could do with a makeover!

For £150 a night i would have expect a bottle of water in the room !

Did point out the above problems to the receptionist , who was very apologetic , and offered an upgrade next time we stayed .

To be quiet honest I'm not sure i'd stay there again ! Been in three star hotels in Cardiff which are better than this one .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank holidayqueenwales
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Park Plaza Cardiff.

I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room. I am genuinely sorry that you had the misfortune of encountering such a problem, I can assure you that your comments have been passed to our Housekeeping department for reference to ensure all rooms are up to our usual high standards.

On a more positive note I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel lobby and bar, and I do hope you enjoyed your birthday get together.

I am sorry that the offer of a complimentary upgrade has not encouraged you to try the Park Plaza Cardiff again, please do feel free to contact me so that we can come to a satisfactory outcome for yourself.
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Very clean lovely hotel. Pool is very good and room service second to none.
Back in Cardiff next week and will be staying here due to availability.
The recession doesn't seem to be affecting this place.
Very enjoyable

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
S. Wales
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Quality and stylish hotel. Well proportioned rooms with good quality beds bedding and towels, also very clean. The room we had was at front side of hotel and street noise was noticeable but not unexpected as it was a Friday night. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. The only disappointment for us was the mass of smokers at the entrance which we had no way of avoiding when we returned from our evening out. The hotel needs to address this as it lowered the tone of the hotel and was very unpleasant being non smokers ourselves.

Room Tip: Rooms on the city hall side would be more restful.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nothappy12
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
I am disappointed to read your comments regarding the smokers at the front entrance and I would like to apologise for any unpleasantness this caused. We do have an allocated smoking area at the back of the hotel on our Bar terrace, which also has heaters to encourage smokers to use this area. On a more positive note I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and our staff and I hope to welcome you back to the Park Plaza Cardiff in the near future
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

we stayed here for a weekend prior to xmas and stayed in a suite which was huge!! It was perfect as we were a family of four so had plenty of space. we used the swimming pool and jacuzzi which was fab, breakfast was lovely. We had stayed here before and had problems with noise and drunk people coming in off the street late at night to party in the bar who weren't even staying here - this problem seems to have been sorted out by having security on the doors which has really helped. we would certainly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the opposite side of the street as it can be very noisy late at night due to night...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family