“Disappointed”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the park plaza on the 6th February for a two night stay to celebrate my 30th birthday. On arrival at the hotel the staff were very welcoming and had upgraded our room due to our celebration which was lovely.

My husband had arranged champagne and strawberries in the room which was lovely, but unfortunately the strawberries were dreadful, not sure how long they had been sitting out before we arrived but they were warm and at £10 we would have expected better!! They were also left in the room over the next two morning going mouldy, our room was cleaned on the 7th while we were out but glasses and strawberries were left!

On a positive note the hotel is in a great location in town the room was nice and clean. No problem with noise for us, we were in room 203.

Hotel bar seemed nice and had a nice cocktail there tho a tad expensive.

Attended the spa for a treatment on the 7th, we'd booked a couples massage, the therapist came to get us but it seemed unorganised as they had booked us in separately in different rooms, so took a few minutes to sort that.

Did like the fact that after spending over £350 in two days to stay at the hotel, there is no parking had to park in the NCP across the road which is fine but only got 20% off parking which is not much in my opinion.

Overall it's a nice hotel, in a great location, nice breakfast, just a shame about the lack of personal touch, I guess that's what you get in a big busy hotel. We would probably not stay again as expensive for what it is.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sara84london

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Attended a wedding reception at hotel in December. Room looked very special and a lot of care had been taken to make sure guests were taken care of. Food was excellent with good choices and good size portions. Puddings were excellent. The children were well looked after with their own menu. Staff were attentive and efficient and were particularly good with the children. Well done Park Plaza.

Room Tip: Good venue for wedding reception.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Just back from a three night break.... Must say the hotel has a lot of pros such as good location, friendly staff and the restaurant is lovely. However the noise level in our room was not something you would expect from a 4 star ..... On the Friday night a wedding took place and as expected music went on late and so I did not get the best sleep... However it was the hammering and banging from work men on Sunday morning that really annoyed me.... It really wasn't appropriate to have work going on that early on a Sunday morning when there were guests occupying the room next door. I also had a facial in the Laguna spa ..... Lovely staff however disappointing facial..... Friend had the same treatment but with a different member of staff and she enjoyed it.

• Stayed: February 2014
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Park Plaza Cardiff.

I would like to apologise for the noise disturbance you experienced during your visit. Unfortunately essential maintenance work was being carried out on that Sunday; however the external contractors should not have begun their work until later in the morning so as not to disturb our guests. I completely agree that it was not appropriate for you to be disturbed by the work, please could you contact me so that we can come to a satisfactory resolution for yourself?

On a more positive note I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel, our staff and restaurant and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Holly Davison, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Just spent a night at the "Park Plaza Cardiff" Hotel and what an enjoyable experience.

All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The hotel lobby, corridors and rooms were well decorated, well maintained and very clean.

For our visit the location of this hotel was perfect. The Car Park was directly opposite, a number of bars and clubs right outside the hotel and literally a 2 minute walk to Cardiff's main shopping areas.

The Spa was excellent with a lovely pool, spa and Steam Room, Great for a relaxing afternoon (although I was surprised that there was no Sauna).

The only thing I was unhappy about was the parking. In short this hotel does not have a car park but instead visitors get 20% off the NCP car park across the road. Even with our discount parking cost us £22 for the weekend (Just over 24hrs)!!!

Room Tip: Beware of the expensive NCP car park opposite this hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

This is our second trip to park plaza and I will not be coming back.
The hotel itself is lovely and staff are nice! Nice big room aswell!
But I also work in a hotel and I work 6 days a week. So on my night off we decided to come for a relaxing night away! Well atleast what we thought. I was so tired I was in bed by 9pm!! We were in room 424 this room had a lot of wear and tear! which was directly opposite glam! The noise was just horrendous from10pm-4am all we could hear was doors slamming drunk people screaming and shouting! The noise from glam was abysmal! I must if had 3 hours sleep all night with work in the morning! I have never ft so tired or angry in all my life! After paying all that money for the room to be up all night with such terrible noise is just a joke. We will not be returning again and in future we will be using the travel lodge. Cheaper and atleast there we can get a decent sleep.

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank jodan h
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

I am disappointed to read that you were disturbed by the sound from the street outside the hotel and may I apologise for the issues you experienced. As the surrounding area of the hotel is a popular city centre location you will find that there are a number of late night revellers in the area so we have added secondary glazing and then further sound proofing with acoustic panels and wall insulation to mitigate the impact of the street.

I can assure you we do take all issues of noise seriously with management engaging in regular dialogue with the council regarding the policing and noise pollution caused in the city.

On this occasion it seems that these measures were not enough and I can assure you had we been aware of the problem we would have done our utmost to try to resolve the matter for you.

On a more positive note I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and our staff and I do hope we can welcome you back to the Park Plaza Cardiff in the future for a more restful stay.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

stayed here night of Cardiff half marathon with partner, its a beautiful hotel, staff are great and bar is superb. Location is great for concert, millenium stadium & of course shopping.
However major issue was the church bells that kept chiming what felt like every hour, didnt get any sleep and as a result wouldnt chooose this place again to stay over but would definately go there for food & to use the bar in the evening.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 458jellycat

I would like to apologise for the noise disturbance you experienced during your visit. I am genuinely sorry you had the misfortune of encountering such a problem and I can assure you had we been aware of the problem we would have done our utmost to try to resolve the matter.

On a more positive note I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel, bar and our staff and I hope to welcome you back to the Park Plaza Cardiff in the near future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked a twin room at the Park Plaza for my sister and myself for the weekend to attend family commitments. Having stayed here a few times, travelling from London, its familiarity on arriving is always comforting (I grew up in Cardiff). We were allocated a twin room on the fourth floor facing the street and close proximity to a variety of bars and night life. I have no issue with people enjoying themselves, I did have an issue with the street level noise affecting my ability to relax and sleep. At around midnight (Friday night), I politely called the front of house team and explained the above and asked to be moved. I was moved promptly to an internal room and whilst I explained that the room provided had a double bed, as a male, my sister and I would not mind sharing a double bed ( a spare duvet was provided ). The following morning, after a peaceful sleep staff approached our breakfast table to inform my sister and I that a twin room was ready for our use for the remainder of our stay. For me that was a good example of what I would define as good customer service. No fuss, no discussion just positive action. That made the difference between our stay being a positive one, not a negative one. I will continue to use and recommend the Park Plaza in Cardiff and commend it's front of house staff for their professionalism, efficiency and kindness.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family