“Great location, beautiful room” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Great location, beautiful room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The photos on the website really don't do these rooms justice - I was surprised by how gorgeous our room was! Huge bed which was so comfy, great bathroom with lovely bath and separate shower, and plenty of space in the room to settle in. It's a shame we had a wedding elsewhere as I would love to have spent more time in the hotel, but if we ever decide to go back to Cardiff, we'll definitely stay here again.

As others have said, parking is quite expensive, but I think it'd be the same wherever you stayed in Cardiff - at least the Park Plaza offer 20% off. Our parking bill came to about £30 for two nights. There's free wifi which is another positive, and as were the free treats and wine in the room as we'd booked an executive room.

There were a couple of negatives which means I can't quite give 5/5. The walls appear to be quite thin so we heard almost everything from the room next door. I'm glad we weren't at the fron of the hotel judging from what others have said on here. The bathroom is looking a bit tired and could do with having a touch up of paint or fixtures refreshed (the tap was a little rusty for example). We also didn't get a "did you have a good stay" or anything like that from reception staff as we left as they seemed to be a bit distracted - I expected exceptional service so it was a shame to not quite have this expectation met.

Other than that, we were more than happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel, away from the noise of the pubs/clubs at the front.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We love this hotel and have stayed many times and it’s normally very quiet, but this time on one night (a Wednesday) we could hear a heavy baseline from the Club across the street. However the staff were very helpful and offered to check that the doors of the club were kept shut, but it only lessened it a bit. The following day we were asked if we wanted to change room which we thought was excellent customer service. We particularly like the fact that hotel guests can have full use of the Gym and the excellent Pool. The pool is the longest I've ever seen in any hotel and the Gym has excellent classes that are free to guests. However do book the classes as soon as you can because they have limited capacity and do fill fast.

Room Tip: On some nights the Street facing rooms can let in some noise. The is dependent on how busy the club...
1 Thank DavidKlaasen
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed on the 3rd floor facing the street. Thankfully I stayed during the weekdays with no sporting events in town. Otherwise it would have been very noisy(could hear some noise from a few patrons at the bar across the street). My room was a double with tub/shower combination.

Pros:
Magnifying mirror
Nice towels
Good room service
Coffee, tea, biscuits
Amenities(shower cap, shampoo etc...)
Wifi
Decent lighting
Walking distance from shopping and Cardiff Castle

Cons:
No wash cloths
Heat didn't work very well

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

It was recommended to me by the family I was visiting in Cardiff and I'm very glad that I followed their advice. Very classy hotel in a very central area. Fast check in and check out. Helpful and courteous staff. The room was the most comfortabke room ever. Spacious room and great bed !!!! Very clean and loved having the choice for the breakfast to be brought in the room at a specific time in the morning. I had a lovely dinner at the restaurant which I definitley recommend for a meal accompanied by a nice cocktail.Though wi fi at times was slow but it didn't matter to me as it wasn't important for my trip. Plus great thank you for the direct European plug (very helpful for those who might have forgotten to buy an adaptor).I would absolutely stay again in this hotel if I ever go back in Cardiff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stay at the Park Plaza in Cardiff regularly with business and it's worth mentioning the superb service that I consistently receive. The staff are friendly and courteous and invariably go out of their way to ensure that you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

From the Reception Desk staff through to the Laguna Kitchen and Bar staff, nothing is too much trouble. Tracy, the Hotel's Breakfast Manager, goes out of her way to make it feel lime home from home - This important when you spend so much time away from the family and is greatly appreciated.

This is a great place to stay and comes highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Amersham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

A great value offer from Park Plaza Cardiff. My husband and I booked this package for a special weekend treat. We also ate at the Hotel Restaurant. We upgraded to Room 102 which was lovely and worth the upgrade. The restaurant was very good, with attentive staff and high quality cuisine. The massage was relaxing and also good value with the package. We took advantage of the Hotel gym which was probably one of the best we have found. Breakfast was also very nice, good quality full welsh breakfast.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and can see why it's the best in Cardiff.
The only negative comment I can come up with is that it ought to provide complimentary water in the room. Other than that, I really cannot fault it and would highly recommend the hotel, spa and restaurant.

Room Tip: Room 102 was large, contemporary, clean and well furnished. Situated at the rear of the hotel away...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Took my wife for valentines night and booked a suite for an extra £40. Fantastic value the room was huge and the bed was the size of 2 doubles. After the first night we decided to stay an extra night as we had enjoyed our first night so much. When I asked at reception they told me that unfortunately the suite I was in was booked for that evening and if I wanted to stay all they could offer was a superior room. We decided despite having to change rooms that we would stay and the superior room was still very nice.

We had breakfast on both mornings. This was a buffet style breakfast with a superb selection.

The location is great with a weatherspoons across the road and the city centre a 2 minute walk away with a great selection of shops, bars and restaurants available.

The only down side to the hotel is the spa. It's very basic which is the reason I haven't given a 5 star rating.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Stayed February 2014