“Nice hotel but ......”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I'm sorry to say that although the Park Plaza Hotel is a really nice hotel I'm now in bed at 2000 hrs feeling bloody awfully unwell and the next three days recovering will be hell for me.

Ive have been diagnosed as a coeliac and therefore have to be on a very strict gluten free diet. I made a big point of telling the waiter at the Plaza that I was coeliac and therefore had to be sure of a gluten free meal so when I ordered my meal ( which was superb by the way ) I was hoping for a nice safe dinner (mushroom velouté / monkfish risotto / skinny chips etc ) I knew within 5 minutes of finishing my meal that I had been ' glutened' and now I'm in bed feeling like death warmed up ...aghhhhhhh.

I'm not going to whinge about it when I check out but nevertheless I'm disappointed so this is a warning to coeliacs !!

If your not a coeliac ..its a nice hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank wp12345
ParkPlazaCardiff, Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our restaurant and firstly can I apologise for the delay but I needed to speak to both our Executive Head Chef and the team on the evening of your visit. We take great pride on our food and service delivery at the Laguna Kitchen & Bar and regret that we let you down on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that all the dishes you ordered on that evening did not contain gluten. When preparing the mushroom veloute we do not make a roux and no flour is added. Our roast monkfish with a saffron risotto, gremolata and fennel again does not contain gluten. Having spoken in depth to our Head Chef I can also assure you that our skinny chips, which are not made in-house, clearly state on the packaging that they are gluten free. This said it does state that if there is 20 parts per million or less of gluten the Food Standards Agency would allow this multinational company to claim the fries are gluten free even though the ingredients list could include wheat in the flavouring of the vegetable oil.

I can only assure you that your comments have been passed onto the team and that we have investigated this matter in some depth and will be taken on board to avoid any recurrence for other guests.

I would also like to thank you for the positive comments on the quality of our food and the hotel in general.

If you would like to contact me I would like to speak with you personally and my contact telephone number is 029 20 111 103.

Jordan Lewis, Restaurant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,391)

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We had a family meal in the restaurant on Saturday evening. The table was a long one, which meant we couldn't speak to each othe easily. The service was very poor, slow and not really efficient and the food was disappointing. We have stayed here, and eaten in the restaurant, before and this was definitely our worst experience. I'd be reluctant to suggest we stay here again and probably wouldn't eat here either.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ThorpeL
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Firstly thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I would like to apologise that on this occasion you did not like the table that you were given and can only assure you that if this had been brought to our attention on the evening we could have moved you to either a smaller table or one of our circular tables.

We are very sorry that on this visit to us you were left disappointed and we would be very sorry to lose you as a customer therefore please could you contact me so that we can come to a satisfactory resolution for yourself?

Holly Davison, Guest Relations Manager
hdavison@parkplazahotels.co.uk

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Hotel was booked on location and was enjoyed for a short one night stay. Clean and comfortable stay with polite help from the staff. Didn't use all the hotels services but would go back for the right price.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

The photos on the website really don't do these rooms justice - I was surprised by how gorgeous our room was! Huge bed which was so comfy, great bathroom with lovely bath and separate shower, and plenty of space in the room to settle in. It's a shame we had a wedding elsewhere as I would love to have spent more time in the hotel, but if we ever decide to go back to Cardiff, we'll definitely stay here again.

As others have said, parking is quite expensive, but I think it'd be the same wherever you stayed in Cardiff - at least the Park Plaza offer 20% off. Our parking bill came to about £30 for two nights. There's free wifi which is another positive, and as were the free treats and wine in the room as we'd booked an executive room.

There were a couple of negatives which means I can't quite give 5/5. The walls appear to be quite thin so we heard almost everything from the room next door. I'm glad we weren't at the fron of the hotel judging from what others have said on here. The bathroom is looking a bit tired and could do with having a touch up of paint or fixtures refreshed (the tap was a little rusty for example). We also didn't get a "did you have a good stay" or anything like that from reception staff as we left as they seemed to be a bit distracted - I expected exceptional service so it was a shame to not quite have this expectation met.

Other than that, we were more than happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel, away from the noise of the pubs/clubs at the front.
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We love this hotel and have stayed many times and it’s normally very quiet, but this time on one night (a Wednesday) we could hear a heavy baseline from the Club across the street. However the staff were very helpful and offered to check that the doors of the club were kept shut, but it only lessened it a bit. The following day we were asked if we wanted to change room which we thought was excellent customer service. We particularly like the fact that hotel guests can have full use of the Gym and the excellent Pool. The pool is the longest I've ever seen in any hotel and the Gym has excellent classes that are free to guests. However do book the classes as soon as you can because they have limited capacity and do fill fast.

Room Tip: On some nights the Street facing rooms can let in some noise. The is dependent on how busy the club...
1  Thank DavidKlaasen
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed on the 3rd floor facing the street. Thankfully I stayed during the weekdays with no sporting events in town. Otherwise it would have been very noisy(could hear some noise from a few patrons at the bar across the street). My room was a double with tub/shower combination.

Pros:
Magnifying mirror
Nice towels
Good room service
Coffee, tea, biscuits
Amenities(shower cap, shampoo etc...)
Wifi
Decent lighting
Walking distance from shopping and Cardiff Castle

Cons:
No wash cloths
Heat didn't work very well

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2014

It was recommended to me by the family I was visiting in Cardiff and I'm very glad that I followed their advice. Very classy hotel in a very central area. Fast check in and check out. Helpful and courteous staff. The room was the most comfortabke room ever. Spacious room and great bed !!!! Very clean and loved having the choice for the breakfast to be brought in the room at a specific time in the morning. I had a lovely dinner at the restaurant which I definitley recommend for a meal accompanied by a nice cocktail.Though wi fi at times was slow but it didn't matter to me as it wasn't important for my trip. Plus great thank you for the direct European plug (very helpful for those who might have forgotten to buy an adaptor).I would absolutely stay again in this hotel if I ever go back in Cardiff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo