“One night break for wedding aniversary”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I booked in for a one night break as a wedding anniversary present to each other. We did not say this in our booking.
The check in was excellent, being offered a hot drink when the room was checked before allowing us to proceed.
When we arrived at the room (we had requested a quiet room) we were in an inward facing room away from all street noise. It was also one of the bigger rooms without being a suite.
After unpacking we made our way to the pool where we were able to enjoy a leisurely swim prior to the arrival of more guests who made the pool area resemble a pool in a Majorca hotel (towels spread on loungers with no one using said loungers). This was a minus point. Another minus point was that there was a party taking photos of each other; another no no in my opinion.
The bath room was excellent and the standard of the towels provided also excellent.
We did use the hotel dining room in the evening but went out and used the bar which was noisy but did not infringe into the room.
Breakfast was very good - the usual self service system with plenty of choice and very good service when requested.
And so to check out. We were able to leave our suitcase and collect later; this allowed us to go for a walk around Cardiff.
The only minus point of the night was the behaviour of the guests in a nearby room. This was obviously beyond the hotel's control, but they did contact these guest to advise their behaviour was unacceptable. I have found other hotels do not bother.

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard facing
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,446)

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Our room was modern, clean and tidy but not that big and there was quite a bit if noise from the street outside. I booked a room with a queen size bed, but that's not what we got. The safe did not work, which is just mildly irritating.

Given the billing, I just expected a bit more from the room. I thought it was decent enough but having a smaller bed than reserved and the room being a bit small left me feeling a little bit let down.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Park Plaza Cardiff.
I would like to apologise for the noise disturbance you experienced during your visit. I am genuinely sorry you had the misfortune of encountering such a problem and I can assure you had we been aware of the problem we would have done our utmost to try to resolve the matter.
I am also disappointed to read your comments regarding your room. Our external facing rooms all have king sized beds. As you had booked a queen size bed this would have meant that you had been upgraded to a larger room with a larger bed. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Once again thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back to the Park Plaza Cardiff in the near future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

A friendly welcome and the hotel is perfectly situated just down the road from cardiff castle. There is no on site parking although there is an ncp car park directly opposite, but at 18.50 a day it is very pricey. Internet is free and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. We ate in the restaurant where the food was excellent and the service first class. The hotel is nixely decorated and a great place to stay. My only concern were the night clubs and bars on the street, which while providing plenty of atmosphere and places to drink are noisy later on. But the hotel's double glazing seemed to do the trick. We would definitely use again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Hotel's location is fantastic, right in the heart of Cardiff and only a 2 minute walk to all the shops. The staff there are very friendly and helpful. Our room was massive and very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bath and shower facilities one of the best I have experienced.

You can hear some noise given it's location, But we did not find this excessive or disturbing and it was a very busy Friday night. We paid £80 for our room and then an extra £15 or so for parking. For a £95 one night stay I did expect a little more but maybe I need to take everything else into account.

We thought that the Hotel was fairly modern and stylish, however it is need of some TLC, some mould in the bathroom, stains on the walls, furniture and linen, fake eye lashes left in the window next to the Jacuzzi etc etc. Looking at photos on here, it would appear that the hotel looks the same as it did 9 years ago.

But overall a good stay.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Rooms were spacious and clean. It was quiet so we got good nights sleep.
The location is great, the city centre literally opposite. Receptionist staff always happy to help.
A very good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed at this property New Years Eve with some girlfiends. On arrival we were treated to a flass of Prosecco which all guests were offered in the spirit of Christmas. I thought this was a nice token gesture considering it is a large chained hotel. My room was huge and on the 4th floor. I didnt have a chance to eat at the hotel but from what I saw the hotel was bustling with guests and all areas seemed to be immaculate and clearly had a refurb of late. Location wise it is perfect for seeing Cardiff. I would most definately stay at this property again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed here for 1 night and was very impressed. The restaurant staff were amazing and went out of their way to help you. The food was exceptional. The rooms were immaculate. The hotel is ideally placed in the centre of the city which meant there was no added cost of transport. There is a car park across the road and the hotel offers discounts. I would definitely return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family