“Excellent base for exploring Cardiff”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Surrey, UK
“Excellent base for exploring Cardiff”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here with my mother and sister for a weekend break. We were very pleased with the hotel which was clean, well appointed and comfortable. Every member of staff we encountered was friendly, helpful and smiley, and the food in the restaurant was extremely good!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Bristol
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed Fri night for a much needed spa break/shopping trip. Hotel was in a central location close to the Castle. Rooms were spacious and clean, mini bar etc. Spa was nice, lovely stainless steel pool, nice way to relax. Lovely bar area, did not try the restaurant. Only downside was the noisey club opposite with music belting out until the early hours, my friend had to listen to Paul McKenner to help her fall asleep! All in all a very nice hotel and would stay again but maybe on the opposite side.

Room Tip: Choose to stay at the back of the hotel as less noisey.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed 7 April 2014

While planning a friends hen party I originally booked a hotel in Cardiff Bay with not knowing Cardiff at all, I found Greyfriars Road had lots of bars and spotted the Park Plaza and I am SO happy I did.
This hotel is top class, the decor is fantastic and everything is to such a high standard. I booked quite a number of rooms to which the receptionists called me to double check this was correct which I thought was very good of them.
All of the rooms were very spacious, clean and just basically great value - I booked through expedia at £129 per night per kingsize bed.
We had afternoon tea in the Laguna restaurant where the staff were very friendly and the food was delicious and again great value for money.
The hotel is a stones throw away from the bars, which was fantastic as it saved taxi fares!
Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank claire B
Aberdare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I booked in for a one night break as a wedding anniversary present to each other. We did not say this in our booking.
The check in was excellent, being offered a hot drink when the room was checked before allowing us to proceed.
When we arrived at the room (we had requested a quiet room) we were in an inward facing room away from all street noise. It was also one of the bigger rooms without being a suite.
After unpacking we made our way to the pool where we were able to enjoy a leisurely swim prior to the arrival of more guests who made the pool area resemble a pool in a Majorca hotel (towels spread on loungers with no one using said loungers). This was a minus point. Another minus point was that there was a party taking photos of each other; another no no in my opinion.
The bath room was excellent and the standard of the towels provided also excellent.
We did use the hotel dining room in the evening but went out and used the bar which was noisy but did not infringe into the room.
Breakfast was very good - the usual self service system with plenty of choice and very good service when requested.
And so to check out. We were able to leave our suitcase and collect later; this allowed us to go for a walk around Cardiff.
The only minus point of the night was the behaviour of the guests in a nearby room. This was obviously beyond the hotel's control, but they did contact these guest to advise their behaviour was unacceptable. I have found other hotels do not bother.

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard facing
Wales
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Our room was modern, clean and tidy but not that big and there was quite a bit if noise from the street outside. I booked a room with a queen size bed, but that's not what we got. The safe did not work, which is just mildly irritating.

Given the billing, I just expected a bit more from the room. I thought it was decent enough but having a smaller bed than reserved and the room being a bit small left me feeling a little bit let down.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Park Plaza Cardiff.
I would like to apologise for the noise disturbance you experienced during your visit. I am genuinely sorry you had the misfortune of encountering such a problem and I can assure you had we been aware of the problem we would have done our utmost to try to resolve the matter.
I am also disappointed to read your comments regarding your room. Our external facing rooms all have king sized beds. As you had booked a queen size bed this would have meant that you had been upgraded to a larger room with a larger bed. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Once again thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back to the Park Plaza Cardiff in the near future.
Welland, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

A friendly welcome and the hotel is perfectly situated just down the road from cardiff castle. There is no on site parking although there is an ncp car park directly opposite, but at 18.50 a day it is very pricey. Internet is free and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. We ate in the restaurant where the food was excellent and the service first class. The hotel is nixely decorated and a great place to stay. My only concern were the night clubs and bars on the street, which while providing plenty of atmosphere and places to drink are noisy later on. But the hotel's double glazing seemed to do the trick. We would definitely use again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tiverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Hotel's location is fantastic, right in the heart of Cardiff and only a 2 minute walk to all the shops. The staff there are very friendly and helpful. Our room was massive and very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bath and shower facilities one of the best I have experienced.

You can hear some noise given it's location, But we did not find this excessive or disturbing and it was a very busy Friday night. We paid £80 for our room and then an extra £15 or so for parking. For a £95 one night stay I did expect a little more but maybe I need to take everything else into account.

We thought that the Hotel was fairly modern and stylish, however it is need of some TLC, some mould in the bathroom, stains on the walls, furniture and linen, fake eye lashes left in the window next to the Jacuzzi etc etc. Looking at photos on here, it would appear that the hotel looks the same as it did 9 years ago.

But overall a good stay.