“Cardiff Park Plaza”
Review of Park Plaza Cardiff

Park Plaza Cardiff
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Excellent location and experience. The parking is very local too but you have to pay for it as it is NCP but you do get 20% discount on parking. It was very useful to have local parking when we visited due to the rain from Hurricane Bertha hitting us on the Sunday. There was an area outside the hotel that I could park up so I could bring the car and we did not then have to get soaked like we could have done otherwise. It is right in city centre but the rooms have triple glazing so you don't hear the noise from the street.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Park Plaza Hotels
Write a ReviewReviews (2,393)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I absolutely loved staying here and would like to return.

The location is great if you're arriving on public transport or on foot, we had a car with 4 people and luggage and that made getting it all out of the car a struggle as the hotel doesn't seem to have a designated unloading area (at least we didn't see it). We left the car at the NCP across the road.

The receptionist was friendly and tried to get us rooms on the same floor as close as possible to each other. All the staff we came across were friendly and polite.

Both rooms were very nice, a lot larger than I expected with everything I could wish for, including a mini fridge with space for our own stuff and herbal tea. I liked everything about the room, it wasn't all style over substance like some other boutique hotels. Even though we were facing the busy main road, we never heard any noise from the outside. A huge positive is that you can open the window to get fresh air, they don't open a lot but it's enough. The room will get top marks from me, I wish I had a room like this at home.

The bathroom was lovely but a bit tight due to the huge door that opened to the inside of the bathroom. It had enough room to move and many hooks to hang towels. Bath products could have been better, not on the same standard as the ones in the Radisson , but still quite acceptable. I usually travel with my own stuff so it's not the end of the world for me, but it's nice to get excited when you see a good brand in the bathroom, specially in boutique hotels. The towels were large and really good.

The pool and spa area were beyond my expectations. The ladies in the spa reception were all smiles and really good with the guests, even when I asked for a bathroom as my mum was too cold, they explained we usually should ask from the hotel but she gave me a set there and then. I didn't want to leave the pool, it was finished with stainless steel and had the best pool floor I've experienced!

Breakfast was very nice, but again, not as impressive as the Radisson Blu. There was nothing wrong with it, the food tasted good and there was a lot of choice, more than I expected, just seemed to miss the wow factor from other places.

Check out was fast, the receptionist asked if we enjoyed our stay and prepared our bill quickly, again, top marks for the service.

I hope I can plan another weekend in Cardiff, it's a lovely place and I sure want to stay at the Park Plaza again.

Room Tip: I would ask for top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank avs75
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I lodged in this hotel with my wife on 26th July, 2014 and checked out on the 28th. This was my first time of staying at the hotel as I am a regular visitor to Cardiff. To get to this hotel, the best station is Queens Street (it is a bit far from Cardiff Central Station). Coming out of the Queens Street Station, turn to your right - it is not too far. One major thing you will notice is the friendliness of the receptionists and the promptness of checking in. My data was ready before I got to the hotel which I regarded as wonderful. The lift was not as modern as other hotels I have lodged in Cardiff but it worked quite fine. The room was very okay however, the bathroom was a bit smaller than the hotel I normally stayed in this area. All in all, the room and the bathroom were very clean and well kept. There was no external noise where we were even though the hotel was at the centre of activities. There was a stocked up refrigerator in the room. Be careful not to move any item inside it or else the system would assume that you have taken it and bill you. We encountered this problem but was easily resolved when we were checking out. The restaurant was okay coupled with the friendly approach of the waiters. The breakfast was okay but it would be nice if more items are added to the menu. One good thing this hotel has was that you have the choice of eating in the overhanging floor outside the main restaurant. Here you can feel nature with the beautiful trees surrounding the area. For those who love social life, this is the hotel for you because you are at the centre of activities. In the day and in the night the place is bubbling with people partying and eating. There are no dull moments in this area, especially at weekends. One thing of note was that I forgot my mobile phone at the reception desk when checking in. Before we got to our room, the desk officer that checked us in caught up with us and gave me the phone. This is highly commendable. Definitely, I will return back to the hotel anytime I am in Cardiff.

Room Tip: There are 3 major locations. If you like solitary life, the centre rooms are okay. If you like natur...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AB10_10
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I booked a Sunday night spa break to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary, I asked to be upgrade if possible which we were and they even left an anniversary card in our room which was a nice touch.

After checking in we went for our spa treatment, my husband was quite apprehensive as he's not a regular sap user! The receptionist wasn't particularly friendly which is what you would expect but the spa treatment and use of facilities was good. We had been told we had booked a double room so we could have the treatment together but were taken into separate rooms. We thought it would be easier to wear our robes back to our rooms so my husband popped back to reception to ask and was told no. I went up to ask the same question not knowing my husband had been up prior and was told (by the same person) it was ok as long as we brought the robes back. So when we met outside the changing rooms my husband was fully dressed and I was in my robe! Needless to say I went back to change into my clothes! I do feel of your guests at the hotel then you should be free to wear the robes back to your room.

Our meal in the restaurant was gorgeous, would definitely eat there again. Rooms was great, bed and cushions comfortable. Breakfast was great too, lots of choice, staff very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie Louise H
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback following your visit to the Laguna Health & Spa.

Firstly, may I apologise for the shortcomings you experienced during your spa package and I assure you that is not our normal practice of service. We take a great deal of pride in our customer service and I am very sorry that on this occasion standards were not met. It is of paramount importance that our guests feel relaxed and welcomed while they are with us and I was disappointed to read that this was not the case. Please accept my sincere apologies and rest assured this will not happen again.

On a more positive note, thank you for your comments about the facilities in the Spa and I am so pleased the restaurant and bedroom were to your liking. I have passed on your lovely comments to the team.

I do hope to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Lovely hotel in the heart of Cardiff with pleasant staff and calm atmosphere. There's a nice pool and steam room. The room we stayed in was equipped to a high standard and we received complimentary wine and chocolates on our arrival.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Park Plaza Hotels
1  Thank Ann T
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Lovely hotel, great reception staff, lovely rooms, great location. Bar disappointing and expensive and room service ended at 10.30, not what one would expect from a four star hotel in the capital of Wales!!!!'

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank TheHolyHaddok
ParkPlazaCardiff, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

Our full room service menu is available until 10:30pm, after this time we do offer a limited menu which is available until 7:00am.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your kind comments regarding our rooms and staff. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Many Thanks

Sarah Williams

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Well what can you say, it's situated right in the centre of a lively street of bars and clubs, the place seemed quite nice in the day but when we returned at night to find what you can only describe as zombies walking the street (drunk students) it was disgusting as they were sick all over the steps to the hotel. The night time manager which i think his name was Steve was more concerned about smoking in the bus shelter than actually letting us back into the hotel because he had locked the door to stop these zombies invading the hotel. Breakfast in the hotel was minging so went to Maccy D's for a Mcmuffin, much better.

Over priced, understaffed.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gavin C

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As the surrounding area of the hotel is a popular city centre location you will find that there are a number of late night revellers resulting in a lively atmosphere. We do indeed lock the front entrance of the hotel after 11pm or latest mid-night as the security and comfort of our guests is paramount. We also ensure to the best of our ability that guests have a good arrival experience and will at all times monitor the happenings on the street and more importantly at the entrance to our hotel. I note your comments with reference to breakfast and am quiet shocked to read as we serve full welsh breakfast as well as a full continental, either served to your table or from a self service buffet.