“Quick overnight stay”

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge, Cardiff
Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I was passing through Cardiff on my travels and decided to look at some of the Doctor Who filming locations around Cardiff. While looking for some reasonable places to stay I stumbled upon this place. It was about a mile from the castle, so you are looking about half an hours walk from the main train/bus station. Much easier by Taxi, of which there are always many about.

Being a working 'Pub' I assumed I would have to go inside the bar area and check in, but there is a well placed exit on the side of the Pub that leads to the hotel check in area, which is essentially behind the bar.

There wasn't anyone there at that particular time, but pressing the bell got someone to come out and said they will just a moment. It was a busy Friday night, and the noises from the bar area was quite loud. It didn't bode well for a quiet nights sleep.

After a few minutes the 'Barman' came back and apologised for the wait, which was courteous and I paid the bill upfront. I was told the usual no pets and what time the place closes. I wasn't told if breakfast was included with the price or how much it was, but I never pressed the point as I wasn't going to be having it either way.

I got my key and followed his mentally stored directions, which was pretty easy given all the signs pointing me to my room (17).

Upon opening the room door I was greeted by a slightly damp smell. Fortunately, this was only one of two issues with the room. The other being the hideous carpet that looked like it had belonged to my grandmother's grandmother. Where the new toilet bowl had been laid had a piece of mismatched frayed carpet filling in the gaps and the carpet just made the place look tired.

However, other than the slight whiff, which I soon couldn't smell after a while, and the geriatric carpet, which was probably the source of the smell, there wasn't much else to complain about. The room was a decent size and had a writing desk plus arm chair, plus a flat screen TV and to my delight where I would usually find tea and coffee, was a nice selection of biscuits and hot chocolate as well as the tea coffee, which I thought was a particularly nice aspect that made me feel valued as a visitor.

I am particularly fond of my showers, and the shower was probably just above average. Coaxing hot water out of the steel pipes was a delicate task, but once you figured out the shower dials and got your temperature just so, it would remain constant. Soap was at hand in a dispenser, which was nice. No fumbling about for a matchbox sized bar of complimentary soap. Also of note was a most efficient heated towel rail and the towels were so big I could even wrap my large size up in a warm cocoon.

The room was also well heated and insulated, and especially for a Friday night... quiet.

The pub closed at eleven thirty so it soon went very quiet and the only sound was me stepping on creaky floorboards. I soon learned where they were and could avoid them. I remember reading reviews about people who stay up late (me) who spend a lot of the night creaking floorboards. I like to the the considerate guest.

Checking out was so easy I wasn't sure I had done it right. All you do it throw your keys into a little slot in a box and walk out. It felt strange doing that.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. I felt welcome and the room was warm, quiet and comfortable. Which is what I needed after a day travelling.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter, and you have no one squeaking floorboards above you either.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 October 2011

basically a pub with rooms, but ok for the one night 10 mins walk from centre. free parking,
breakfast was decent quality. room i had was on top floor and stairs might be a bit iffy if ones not too fit. room was dated but clean, bed was very good. room was quiet despite being on front onto a fairly busy road. pub did food but didnt eat there looked good value average pub fare. reception was a bit dingy and could be off putting, male recpetionist had a bit of a grand attitude, and wasnt happy when ididnt want to listen to his speil about not smoking in rooms, where and when breakfast was car park times etc but otherwise no complaints. would i use again, probably not i felt for what it was i had maybe paid a little to much at £39.00 but for a weekend in the city it is ok.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Thank david.russell
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is an old historic pub with rooms, not a modern hotel. The prices are very reasonable, so on value for money, it is the best. It is an old building, with a lot of character, so there will be some creaking floorboards etc, but it is a nice place as long as you aren't expecting a new "plastic" generic room. Every room is different - they are all a good size, with really high ceilings, and are kept clean.
One warning - all rooms are upstairs, and there is no elevator.
Staff are friendly and helpful. The pub has good food and very reasonable prices. If you want gourmet food, this isn't the place, but you can't beat the value.
The location is great - easy walk to central Cardiff.

Room Tip: I prefer the top floor for the quietest rooms, and no floorboards over your head.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gordonleak
Reviewed 21 July 2011

The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Sophia Gardens and 10 minutes away from Cardiff Castle, which puts it in a great location for anyone wanting access to the city centre, Millenium stadium or SWALEC stadium.
The hotel is attached to a pub which serves a variety of standard pub food in the evening. We ate their one evening and had 3 breakfasts - all of them were well prepared and gave reasonable value for money.
The double room we stayed in was comfortable, but with dated and tatty decor. At the discounted price we paid I didn't expect much, but peeling paint on window sills and dusty lightshades detracted from the overall quality unfortunetly.
The staff were friendly and helpful, but our room wasn't serviced properly during the 3 nights we stayed - the bed was made one morning but the bin wasn't emptied for the duration of the stay, nor were the tea-making facilities topped up. Staff were happy to provide extra milk etc when we requested it from reception.
On balance I would stay at the Beverley again, and would recommend it to others, but be aware you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Breakfast was surprisingly good, but the room smelled a little weird, the carpets were dirty and I did not like the bathroom. No WiFi is available.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Just come back from Cardiff and had a cracking stay, The Beverley is what you pay for: comfortable room, good welcome, friendly staff, cheap drinks and pub food.

If the menu says £3-£8, Michelin stars are doubtful. £50 to stay isn't going to appear in Mr & Mrs Jones but what the Beverley does, it does very well.

I was made to feel like a local (of whom there seemed to be a bundle of happy characters with nothing bad to say about the place) and the staff couldn't help enough - they like a natter about the great things to do in the area and gave me many reasons to come back - not just to Cardiff but the Beverley itself.

The hotel and pub is full of happy customers and the atmosphere is really friendly and that comes down to the staff and the manager who were really helpful and even put up with me coming home late without my key! Ooops, sorry manageress!

I've read another review here for about the same time and all I can think is it's from a travel bore. If you want 5 star book the St Davids. But if you want a real place where locals and staff are happy to mingle and talk like friends, come and stay here. It does exactly what you'd expect - comfortable, 10 minute walk to town, great atmosphere, safe and friendly...all for £50, bargain!

This part of Cardiff, according to friends who've visited is pretty expensive but there's loads to do locally in Pontcanna and The Beverley is the perfect place to spread your wings. The happy staff made it easy to stay and hard to leave. Thanks...you should get a raise!

Room Tip: Make sure you have the breakfast!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2011

On arrrival was well impressed with the cleanliness of the room. was traveling with a group of mates and was well impressed with having a room over a proper pub.With the close proximity to the stadium i can recomend this one to all the munster fans travelling to the next final.Very friendly staff, had a great time and looking forward to the next stay.

Room Tip: just phone, very helpfull staff
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends