“A Pub with some rooms, Hotel in name only”

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge, Cardiff
Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I needed a room for 1 night when on a business trip. Looking around some websites and this one popped up, central location, free parking and a pub as part of the Hotel. Sounded ideal as I'm not keen on the plastic rooms, which the corporate's such as the major chains offer. But I should have realised that for just under £40 for B&B, I was asking for a lot and I didn't get it. This is really a Pub with the upstairs converted to offer rooms, some apparantly were doubles or family sized, mine was single and even the shower joined in as it was not even big enough for a "Single". The shower was electric and full sized as was the shower door, the shower tray was built for a Hobbit. Why do Hotels claim they offer showers when it's electric? An electric shower is akin to being faintly sprayed on from a distance. So the shower was not for me, neither was the lumpy, softly sprung (missing springs?) bed, nor the unique door lock. The previous lock must have got tired of being kicked open (the door frame had the scars to prove it!) so it's replacement just sort of sat there waiting for some drunk contracter to bash it off. No I'm not going back. Pity as the beer was rather good!

Room Tip: Book a room at another hotel and then go here for the beer
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Wob64

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We got to the hotel early (9am) as we knew there was a rugby international in the afternoon. As soon as we walked into reception we (2 couples) were greeted with a warm friendly smile and a great bit a banter!! Our room had, hallway,separate bathroom with bath & shower and our bedroom which was massive. Being a pub aswell we thought we would hear alot of noise as our room was at the front of hotel but we could'nt hear anything. After spending some time in Cardiff city centre which is only a 15-20min walk away we came back to spend a couple of hrs in the bar which was really good aswell. £8.00 for 3&half pints was superb!! We went down for breakfast for 9.30 to find the continental breakfast all laid out for you to help yourself, toast,jams,cereal,cheese,fresh orange & loads of tea & coffee. After having some of this we also had the full English which kept me going for most of the day. All over, a superb place to stay and we will staying again soon!!!

Room Tip: Room 12 is massive
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2011

So sorry to have to say this as the staff where very friendy, but i was here this weekend to visit my kids who r at uni. people have mentioned the smell on other posts i expect it was room 11 it is so damp and smelly there was mold on the curtains and even on the light fitting its just old damp and smelly would love to see this hotel revamped because it is a lovely building and well positioned for a visit to Cardiff wouldn't stay again !!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2011

This was our second stay at the Beverley after taking daughter
to uni.Came down to visit, so stayed again.Not far from city centre.
Rooms clean and prices reasonable.Staff all pleasant and helpful.
Being a pub too means you don't have to go far for food,which has
a good choice.
Will be staying again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I was passing through Cardiff on my travels and decided to look at some of the Doctor Who filming locations around Cardiff. While looking for some reasonable places to stay I stumbled upon this place. It was about a mile from the castle, so you are looking about half an hours walk from the main train/bus station. Much easier by Taxi, of which there are always many about.

Being a working 'Pub' I assumed I would have to go inside the bar area and check in, but there is a well placed exit on the side of the Pub that leads to the hotel check in area, which is essentially behind the bar.

There wasn't anyone there at that particular time, but pressing the bell got someone to come out and said they will just a moment. It was a busy Friday night, and the noises from the bar area was quite loud. It didn't bode well for a quiet nights sleep.

After a few minutes the 'Barman' came back and apologised for the wait, which was courteous and I paid the bill upfront. I was told the usual no pets and what time the place closes. I wasn't told if breakfast was included with the price or how much it was, but I never pressed the point as I wasn't going to be having it either way.

I got my key and followed his mentally stored directions, which was pretty easy given all the signs pointing me to my room (17).

Upon opening the room door I was greeted by a slightly damp smell. Fortunately, this was only one of two issues with the room. The other being the hideous carpet that looked like it had belonged to my grandmother's grandmother. Where the new toilet bowl had been laid had a piece of mismatched frayed carpet filling in the gaps and the carpet just made the place look tired.

However, other than the slight whiff, which I soon couldn't smell after a while, and the geriatric carpet, which was probably the source of the smell, there wasn't much else to complain about. The room was a decent size and had a writing desk plus arm chair, plus a flat screen TV and to my delight where I would usually find tea and coffee, was a nice selection of biscuits and hot chocolate as well as the tea coffee, which I thought was a particularly nice aspect that made me feel valued as a visitor.

I am particularly fond of my showers, and the shower was probably just above average. Coaxing hot water out of the steel pipes was a delicate task, but once you figured out the shower dials and got your temperature just so, it would remain constant. Soap was at hand in a dispenser, which was nice. No fumbling about for a matchbox sized bar of complimentary soap. Also of note was a most efficient heated towel rail and the towels were so big I could even wrap my large size up in a warm cocoon.

The room was also well heated and insulated, and especially for a Friday night... quiet.

The pub closed at eleven thirty so it soon went very quiet and the only sound was me stepping on creaky floorboards. I soon learned where they were and could avoid them. I remember reading reviews about people who stay up late (me) who spend a lot of the night creaking floorboards. I like to the the considerate guest.

Checking out was so easy I wasn't sure I had done it right. All you do it throw your keys into a little slot in a box and walk out. It felt strange doing that.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. I felt welcome and the room was warm, quiet and comfortable. Which is what I needed after a day travelling.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter, and you have no one squeaking floorboards above you either.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2011

basically a pub with rooms, but ok for the one night 10 mins walk from centre. free parking,
breakfast was decent quality. room i had was on top floor and stairs might be a bit iffy if ones not too fit. room was dated but clean, bed was very good. room was quiet despite being on front onto a fairly busy road. pub did food but didnt eat there looked good value average pub fare. reception was a bit dingy and could be off putting, male recpetionist had a bit of a grand attitude, and wasnt happy when ididnt want to listen to his speil about not smoking in rooms, where and when breakfast was car park times etc but otherwise no complaints. would i use again, probably not i felt for what it was i had maybe paid a little to much at £39.00 but for a weekend in the city it is ok.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Thank david.russell
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is an old historic pub with rooms, not a modern hotel. The prices are very reasonable, so on value for money, it is the best. It is an old building, with a lot of character, so there will be some creaking floorboards etc, but it is a nice place as long as you aren't expecting a new "plastic" generic room. Every room is different - they are all a good size, with really high ceilings, and are kept clean.
One warning - all rooms are upstairs, and there is no elevator.
Staff are friendly and helpful. The pub has good food and very reasonable prices. If you want gourmet food, this isn't the place, but you can't beat the value.
The location is great - easy walk to central Cardiff.

Room Tip: I prefer the top floor for the quietest rooms, and no floorboards over your head.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family