“Great Hotel, Very Friendly Staff”
Review of Churchills Hotel

Churchills Hotel
Ranked #47 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We recently stayed at the Churchill for one night as we were attending a wedding. We would definitely have stayed longer. The room and breakfast was exceptionally good value for money. We stayed in one of the Mews suite and was a very large room and easily accommodated myself, husband and 11 year old daugher. We were most impressed with the staff who gave a very warm welcome and were extremely helpful as we arrived exceptionally early and they arranged for an area for us to purchase a cup of tea and even managed to get our room ready for 11.00 am so we could get changed in time for the wedding. This was our first trip to Wales and it certainly won't be our last and we would not hesitate in staying at the Churchill hotel (infact we would be disappointed if their were no vacancies). A big thank you to all the staff

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 May 2011

When we arrived at the hotel reception staff where helpfull and friendly.We got the key to our room which was on the second floor and was dissappointed with the room.It was small and in need of updating,dark furniture and not a very appealing bathroom.Our view was 2 air vents out the back.I understand it is a budget hotel but I have stayed in similar priced hotels before and the rooms where of a better quality.Breakfast staff was very polite and the actually breakfast was fine.

Room Tip: Ask at reception what they are getting
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Stayed once before, welcomed on return, Staff very helpful, No problems with stay, Very good value, close to cardiff centre bus stops close by, but cheap enough in a taxi. nice walks in park opposite, can walk through park to Cardiff castle and avoid paying city centre outrageous parking charges. breakfast waiter staff busy but attentive, and good breakfast, will do full english or just items you want. Thoroughly recommend this place!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BernardBaeten
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Good evening menu, I've tried a few things and was happy with it all.
Mews I was in for two stays was spacious and clean.
In the bathroom, although clean, quite a bit of paint was peeling off the ceiling and wood concealing pipes was in poor condition.
Friendly staff, but it can be hard to find anyone at reception.
Breakfast OK but not anything to rave about. Where's the coffee? It's usually 'serve yourself' to coffee but frequently there isn't any there and that can happen early-on before it gets busy. Sometimes low service when it's busy- one waiter/waitress can be well occupied so get there early for quick service.
There was a problem with noisy water-hammer in the pipes that was a little alarming when it woke me up. I reported it twice and it appears to have been fixed on 2nd attempt. A minor window problem was fixed promptly on request.
After my first visit I called to make another booking for the following week, I was soon recognised on the phone and when I arrived the second week they didn't need to ask my name and I was promptly checked-in, so they get to know you and I have the impression this hotel has a regular clientele.

On balance, one or two problems but at the price I'm very pleased.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TimVal81
Reviewed 11 March 2011

As previously stated - elderly person travelling alone but felt comfortable in the bar during Barcelona v Arsenal match and enjoyed my meal - wonderful choice on your menus - food freshly prepared. Breakfast was not the usual "rubber scrambled, or leather sat for ages under heat lamps "fried" egg. So impressed at a great scrambled egg and bacon that had crispy fat without being scorched.
Found the staff I met very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The location is exc ellent and Cardiff bus offers a great all day deal £3 all day anywhere until midnight!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Sheena C
Reviewed 9 March 2011

This was a last minute booking, made at a very low rate. The restaurant was not open but there was food available in the bar - this was good pub grub, cheap and served by excellent, cheery staff. My room was at the top of 2 flights of steep stairs; it was tiny and the bed was not very comfortable; there was also a lot of traffic noise and every time someone in another room flushed the toilet there was a loud noise from the mascerator coming through into my showerroom.
However - the room was well kitted out with an iron and ironing board (not sure where I would have put it), tea tray etc and the shower was excellent. The breakfast could not be faulted; plenty of choice and again served by an excellent and cheery member of staff.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CamberleyNel
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Stayed at hotel while attending the Rugby League Millennium Magic event at the Millennium Stadium. only stayed one night but would have liked to stayed longer. Ideally situated for the stadium a pleasant 30 minute walk.
Whatever rating the hotel has the service was definitely 5 star, staff were incredibly helpful and could not do enough.
Room was ok, basic but clean having both bath and shower. Booked a single room and paid for a single room, no supplement. Fantastic breakfast, plentiful and tasty.
The hotel has a good bar reasonably priced drinks and a bit of atmosphere did not try the food but the menu did look tempting.
All in all a very good choice and would definitely return

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family