“Decent place at a great price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Churchills Hotel

Churchills Hotel
Ranked #44 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Decent place at a great price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2009

I booked on-line with only a few hours' notice but the staff had all my reservation details to hand when I arrived and the formalities were dealt with very swiftly and easily. The room (en-suite) was warm, clean and comfortable and, above all, quiet. I've no idea how many other people were staying that night but I didn't hear them at all. The room was to the back of the hotel which meant no traffic noise but also no view but that's the kind of trade-off one has to expect I suppose.

I paid £35 for a single room but the bed was easily big enough for two (albeit two people who know each other well). In the past, I've paid upwards of £50 and £60 for a room in chain hotels with nowhere near the level of comfort and convenience. There is free wireless internet and tv.

There is free parking in the courtyard.

All in all, very highly recommended. I have given it 4 stars just in case I eventually come across a genuinely 5-star hotel but this came pretty close for the money.

If it has a downside, I would say that for me it was the fact that it's owned by the ubiquitous (in south Wales at least) Brain's brewery and is quite clearly branded as such but even this can be forgiven.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank yCrwydrwr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

I flew in Ryanair to Liverpool from Norway (10p.each way),took an excellent train to Cardiff (£10 each way) and enjoyed staying at this very acceptable hotel. I'm a cost effective traveller by choice.
hmmm, I read some of the reviews here and wonder if they are the same hotel. For the PRICE I was amazed!! Clean, good room (duplex block) and fresh bedlinen - crisp white - daily, good full english breakfast included in the amazingly low price. Helpful and cheerful staff. I wonder what else one needs?
Churchills is a little out of the town centre - which is why I chose to go there - so one can have some peaceful evenings/nights away from the swinging nightlife sounds. So it's a healthy walk, or a taxi, if you want the town centre attractions. But at this hotel price, taxis seem a good choice.
Complaints??? Well I did get 3 spots of rain on me whilst walking across the spacious off-road car park. I noticed a few leaves had fallen on the floor in the car park area.

Seriously, for the exceptional value price I paid I would have to be somewhat disorientated to find complaint with what was a very acceptable and pleasing service, food and accomodation.
If you want to 'lord it up' then find a five star. If you want a cost effective practical pleasant standard a little out from the town centre, then Churchills will suit you. 'You get what you pay for' is the normal saying - at Churchills I felt I got a lot more than I paid for.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank keithR44
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2009

I was booked in by my company for DBB and had asked to bring my wife and it was agreed that I would pay the difference. on arrival I was told that I was in a single room - when I explained, we were given the last remaining double - a disabled room Rm 32 - it was huge, with two sofas, two TVs and a large bathroom. It was clean, comfortable and quiet.
The evening meal was inexpensive - the starters were excellent (I had welsh mussels in wine and cream, my wife had King prawns piri-piri) - the mains were adequate but not very warm and the cheese board consisted of no less than 5 welsh cheeses. The wine list was quite short but the Merlot at £11.95 was good.
Breakfast was included and consists of fruit juice, cereals, toast and a huge full cooked plate (but which wasn't all that warm.
Throughout the staff were helpful cheerful and couteous.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank WalesBargainhunter
Merseyside and North Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2008

Spent a much looked forward to three night stay in Cardiff at the end of November 2008. Great day at the Millenium Stadium -Wales beat Australia - "did" Cardiff sights and met up with many friends. City centre, Cardiff Bay, Llandaff Cathedral all memorable.

Stayed at Churchills - mmmmmmmmmm!

Convenient location, food OK. But - there are "buts".

Staff - seemed totally uninterested and there was no welcoming atmosphere. Often "elsewhere" rather than visibly available. Several did not have ready answer to basic "domestic" questions, eg "What time does the bar close?", "Where is the nearest bus stop?"

Table settings often lacking and you had to search for available staff to ask for items missing.

No tourist information/literature nor any helpful verbal advice.

Heating - probably the coldest hotel we have stayed in. Wrap up well!

ps
I noticed on my bill that Churchills is totally owned by Brains Brewery. Suggests staff are as per "pub" managers rather than proprietors with a personal interest in the establishment.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It was cold!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2008

Just stayed at this establishment last week as I was visiting friends and here are the plus points:
The hotel was easy to find and plenty of parking space was available for customers.
My room was clean and the en-suite was well presented with no issues to speak of.
The bar area was of a high standard and the reception clerk appeared to be very efficient in dealing with my requests for an early morning call and newspaper.

So far so good.....but I'm afraid it was a downhill experience from then on!
11.00pm soon arrived and I was about to be cast out into the wilderness as the bar had shut but managed to purchase another beverage for my friends after protesting that I was a resident.
12.00pm was then upon us and we all got turfed out..resident or not...lounge bar door locked and no room service..ta very much..go to bed and do not pass go or collect £200.
The early morning call did not arrive although I had already woken up an hour before shivering as the room was so cold.
On enquiring about my missing newspaper at reception I was informed that the paperboy had not been although it was 9.30am and they didn't know if it would arrive...so I trudged off into the breakfast room and found a seat amongst all the uncleared tables and a clean bowl for my cornflakes.
I left the hotel with the impression that the experience could be a damn site better if the staff were more focussed on how a hotel should run.
Guests shouldn't be made to feel unwelcome and staff should certainly be more positive and understanding without continually making excuses for poor service.
A lot more effort needs to be made..but then again..if anyone is fond on a nightcap..this certainly ain't the hotel to be in!

• Liked — Clean & Presentable
  • Disliked — Lacklustre service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2008

From the outside it looks fine. Even the room looks okay, even though the bed was not made when I arrived. It looks OK, considering the price of course.
However, when at night you want to get some sleep, you hear a very loud airco/fan/whatever, but what's worse, a non-constant banging noise, probably coming from the kitchen which apears to be located directly below my room. It stops around midnight, only to resume at 6 in the morning, leaving you with a maximum of 6 hours sleep.
If you ever go to this hotel, which I would strongly advice you not to do, make sure you do not end up in rooms 9, 10 or 11.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — banging noise in my room, way it was treated by staff.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2008

Stayed in Churchills with my Husband for the weekend. Very enjoyable stay, only disappointment is the hotel not having a lift, which was a bit of a problem when you are situated on the second floor. The young girl on reception was very friendly and offered to help carry our luggage upstairs which was even a struggle for her as she was very petite. The evening meal served in the bar was lovely and very satisfying. Breakfast was great apart from the waiting staff seemed to spend more time in the kitchen than in the breakfast room. Overall would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family