“Clubbing Weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 45 Cardiff B&B and Inns
bristol
“Clubbing Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

booked this place randomly because i was looking for a cheap place to crash with 5 friends for a night on the tiles in cardiff.
The lady on the phone was very helpful and friendly and the price at £28 pounds each for bed and a fry up i found very resonable, so i booked.
When we arrived we realised how close we were to the town, so this is something really great if you are wanting to be close to the nightclubs, you can see the millenium stadium as you get close to the hotel.
when we parked in the carpark round the back, we were rather worried...barbed wire all around the walls, a grey building with a dirty old matress around the back, my friend was making me doubt myself.
as you walk into the hotel, you do get a feeling that this place is not going to be a good experiance, well that is very far from the truth, the decore is very very old fashioned, like it reminds me of some kind of victorian house, but you then realise how clean this place is, how friendly the staff are and you realise this is the theme of the hotel, it gives it so much character and i thought to myself, its a little gem. Theres so much to look at.
we stayed up on the 2nd floor, pretty easy just to walk up to, got into our room and i must say, i kept my friends back whilst i peered through the door, and as i looked inside, i couldnt have been more impressed, i pulled all the covers back, and they were the cleanest white sheets ive ever seen, the bathroom was lovely, nice little complimentary shampoo and conditioner, not a bad view out the window, clean carpets, all surfaces polished. You cannot fault the place.
got a taxi into the cubbing part of the city because no girl can walk any distance in heels (well not us girls) cost around 5 pound which is pretty good.
breakfast is at 8 until 9am and u have such a massive selection, and a lush lush fry up, we did drink endless glasses of juice to settle the hangover!
i would deffinately stay here again, i felt so welcome and we had no problems what so ever!
The saying is true...Never Judge A Book By It's Cover

Room Tip: I asked for a room for 3 girls and a room for 3 boys
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sabrina a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Our double room was not, I think, meant as a double room. The clue was not only its size, but the fact that there was only one coffe cup and only one towel. I requested another towel, which disapeared the next day! So rather naughty. The bed itself was not big either, so I think a clever trick was executed here. The hotel advertises free WiFi, but I could not connect anywhere, even in the spot that was supposed to have the good connection. Breakfast was edible I suppose, but to say I enjoyed my stay: No.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

My wife and I just got back from a wonderful week in Cardiff, luckily we had the weather on our side.
We chose the Penrhys Hotel on a recommendation from some friends who stay there whenever they are in Cardiff, on reading some of the reviews we were beginning to think we had made a terrible mistake in booking there.
On arrival we had a very pleasant surprise, it was like walking into the past real old world decor, the only thing missing was the period dress.
We were shown the large lockable rear car park, and nothing seemed to much trouble for the staff, on seeing our room it just made our stay compleat , a large four post bed in a very spacious room,
I must say that this was some what spoilt by a T.V. and a WI.FI. facility, we are both in our sixties
and into the laptop era, but not to take away with you.
We are both most particular about our cleanliness and surroundings, and were more than pleased with our room.
We were on the ground floor right by the reception ( ideal for our age ) the dinning room was up a flight of stairs on the first floor, but well worth the climb, the breakfast was second to none
and we have always started the day with a full English, we got to know the chef ( Winston ) a great guy and very helpful with a good knowledge of where to visit.
You must have a day at the Welsh Folk Museum a real full day out, and unlike England it's free to go in most places like that,
Another is a day out at the Cardiff Bay Barrier and surrounding area, on a sunny day as good if not better than abroad, just the colour of the sea.
We live in Worcester and look forward to our next break and will definitely stay at the Penrhys Hotel.
Please do not spoil it and modernise everything.
Mr and Mrs Collings. Malvern.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I booked the Penrhys hotel as i needed a hotel close to Cardiff city center. I was not disappointed the hotel was situated mins from the center.

The accommodation was what we needed, a nice hotel to put our heads down at night. The rooms were basic but thats what we needed from hotel, very clean through out.

The price i paid per person (20 of us) was so much lower than any other hotel in the area. After reading other reviews on the hotel i'm confused why some people have said it was a poor hotel?! The price reflects the hotel and in my opinion the hotel is excellent for the price, quite, clean and friendly.

If you require a hotel at a very affordable price and dont mind that it doesn't have luxury interior than this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

Thank you to both management and staff for my recent visit to the penrhys hotel.stayed over for one night as i was stuck in cardiff for the night.friendly welcome,very helpful as i wasent from the area,clean room,breackfast was great,will be back with my family on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Lambourn, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

From the website and outside appearance, I wasn't worried about staying in this hotel. I knew it wasn't going to be a 5* luxury hotel but expected some kind of basic standard.

On arrival, my friend and I discovered that there really is very little parking available- there is the main road directly outside but there were no spaces available. Then we discovered a small back road and found a small car park for the hotel- we were lucky to find it! However it was full but with no where else to park, had to block in another guest. I wouldn't have wanted to leave my car on the main road anyway. The car park has barbed wire around and looked a bit unkept. There was clean washing hanging outside- well, I say 'clean' but they still had stains on them. This worried us as we do like things to me clean!

The hotel inside is very dated and in need of a clean. There is a old and dirty feel to it. The man at reception was friendly enough though we were up 5 flights of stairs and no assistance was given with our suitcases.

The bedrooms looked okay at a glance but we soon discovered so many down falls; pubic hairs in bath, cracked tiles, dodgy floorboards, loose sink, left over loo roll, dirty shower curtain and slip mat, dusty cups, faulty plug sockets, loose fittings, kettle had to be boiled under TV, dusty carpets, moldy windows, a window with no handle, kettle with old green water in it to name a few!
The most dissapointing thing for me was not being able to have a proper shower/bath/wash. I see this as basic hospitality!! Even from a place that isn't a 5 star hotel! The shower was either scolding hot or freezing cold and changed frequently in temperature even if not changed! The bath taps had no gap between the wall and the knobs which made turning them extremely difficult. The cold tap didn't work at all and the hot tap was boiling hot! In the end, I had to run the hot bath tap with the cold shower head to run a bath but didnt like the thought of having a bath if it was as uncleaned as the rest of the hotel! It was very disapointing especially as we were there for a special occasion.

Breakfast is very early- between 8 and 9 but was okay taste wise- a little cafe esq. Tea was revolting!! Didn't resemble tea until stewed for a good 15 mins plus. Waiter was friendly though and personalised breakfast according to taste e.g. no tomatos/mushrooms etc.

Would not recommend as there are cheaper places which meet basic needs. Unfortunately this hotel did not. When I got home I had a shower straight away!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Samantha B
Portsmouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

This is a conversion from a private residence to a B&B establishment. The conversion can only be described as poor amateurish. I was very disappointed with the shappy decor, very rough towels in the bathroom, uneven floor in room number 3, and a reminder of my days in digs in the 1960's. If you want cheap accomodation - go for it - but don't say that I did not warn you.
Wales is a lovely place - this establishment does not represent Wales.

Room Tip: Choose a different establishment
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo