“Ceased Trading But Still Take Your Money!”

Marlborough Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cardiff
Marlborough Guest House
Ranked #38 of 45 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Wales
“Ceased Trading But Still Take Your Money!”
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Paid in full in advance and spoke to the proprietor the day before we were due to arrive. She was very accomodating and looked forward to welcoming us. When we arrived, after our 4 hour journey we were shocked to see a sign on the door saying "ceased trading - due to unforeseen circumstances". When we looked through the window there was a complete mess and nobody around. Not surprisingly they would not answer the phone. We spoke to a lady down the road who said they had been closed for a while so they obviously had been taking bookings and payments with no intention of providing accomodation. Complete and utter thiefs. STAY AWAY !!

Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
8 Thank WalesFoxy

Hampshire
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Well I have certainly learnt my lesson about reading the reviews from Trip Advisor BEFORE booking and paying for any accomodation. If you are planning on staying here or have booked already please read this review now.

After getting tickets for the Take That concert that took place on Tuesday 16th June, we struggled to find accomodation as everything was booked up. I rang round several B&Bs in the area and was surprised when contacting the Marlborough to be told that they did have a triple room for myself and 2 friends. The surprise was my luck at booking a 4 star rated AA guest house at such short notice but just put this down to luck. I was asked to send a cheque for the full payment up front - something I would not normally do but as it is a 4 star rated AA place and as it was a busy night I accepted this.

On arrival, we called to ask where to park - no answer so we parked in a side street and walked to the B&B only to find a sign on the door stating it had ceased trading and there was no answer at the door. No phone call, no word from the landlady, nothing. So we found ourselves in the unfortunate position of having no accomodation on one of the busiest nights in Cardiff.

Whilst contemplating what to do, we saw two other groups turn up who had also booked with the B&B. They too had paid in advance and had received no warning of what was to greet them when they got there.

We met some builders who were working on the house next door who said they had seen other groups turn up throughout the day and had pointed them to the police station so we reported our circumstances to them and they will be investigating.

I have checked my account and it seems my tardiness in booking has save me as the cheque had not been cashed and I have now stopped it. Others I spoke to had not been so lucky.

Please read this review and if you have booked for this B&B and paid in advance try and contact them before you arrive to find out what has happened. If you are looking at booking, I would recommend you DO NOT BOOK HERE.!!!

I would never again pay the full amount up front by cheque and will be contacting the AA in due course to find out why they have given this place such a high rating when the reviews and the service detailed in previous comments show this is clearly not the case. I am reluctant to trust their ratings again as a result.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank welltravelled71

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Wales
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I am usually very sceptical about the reviews on this site and often think that people can be too pernickety with some of their comments but after a weekend at this place I really felt that I had to share my experience/trauma with others to warn you off staying at this place. I booked two double rooms and twin room for two nights in june for some extended family at a cost of £450. I paid up front for the rooms about 3 months by cheque which Anna (owner) cashed within a few days of receiving. She told me that she couldn't take card payments and wanted the payment up front as she had been let down by other guests in the past. I thought, OK fair enough and paid her for which she gave me a business card with "£450 paid" on the back. It didnt seem like the most secure of transactions but she seemed pleasant enough so I thought to just trust her.

3 months later and my family arrive for a rare much planned visit. On arrival i met a smiling Anna who quickly informed me that the car park at the back would not be open due to building work going on. I thoguht OK, parking shouldn't be too much of a problem, however she then proceeded to explain that the hotel was being refurbished and that she didn't have a kitchen and would therefore not be able to do breakfast. She said that she could provide extra tea and biscuits. I was assuming the next breath would begin with "so i can offer you a refund on a least part of your money" but it didn't. She simply said "is that OK?" I was't staying there myself so I said I'll have to explain to my family. My family duly asked if they could have a refund or at least could she reimburse payments for the breakfasts that they had to buy elsewhere. She was very blunt and rude in her response explaining that they had got a good deal on the rooms and that if they didn't want to stay there they didnt have to. She was aloof, rude, ignorant and had made her mind up that she wouldn't back down or negoiate any deal. This messed up a lot of our plans for the weekend as other arrangements for eating out had to be changed. This woman who believes she has healing powers and who has a crystal ball to read fortunes, only seems to read her own fortune and thats a fortune she has generated from ripping her guests off.

From the moment my family questioned the pricing she decided that she wasn't going to play (crystal) ball. She wouldn't even do them a few slices of toast as a gesture. (I wonder where she cooks herself if she doesnt have a kitchen) This was just a terrible experience from the moment my family arrived. The actual place is OK but I'm sure you'd get what you need from the plethora of B&B's down newport road. Its really no surprise that she has so many bad reviews and suffice to say my family would not even consider the marlborough again and we will be letting the AA know about this as they seem to have put 4 stars too many on the guest house rating.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank adjer
Casper Wyoming
Reviewed 4 June 2009

A flying visit through Cardiff from the USA, and this place had been recommended to us by some friends in LA. It has a warm welcome from the landlady and the property is full of history and character.

After we arrived, my husband's back strain kicked into spasm after carrying the suitcases at the airport (which usually involves a hospital visit). After a twenty minute session in the Healing Hands studio, for the first time in his life, he was able to walk again (no ER visit) and we were able to take full advantage of our five night stay thanks to Anna.

I would highly recommend this accommodation, food, hospitality, healing therapy , location...in fact everything was superb...and Cardiff is a great place to stay!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joahanna
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2009

It’s clear that the Marlborough Guest House evokes extreme reviews. Either people love it, or they loathe their experience because of the landlady, Anna Howard. I think this is because Anna either takes a strong liking to people or an extreme dislike. Unfortunately, this decision appears to be based on her psychic feeling rather than any rational basis.

I write not as someone who has stayed there overnight, but I did visit the Marlborough. I was meeting old friends who were visiting Cardiff and going out for a meal with my partner and myself.

I shall try and give a fair description of a quite bizarre experience, which would certainly deter me from ever setting foot in this B&B again. I shall be as concise as possible, while needing to give enough detail to fairly reflect what happened. .

I was let in, explained who I was picking up and asked if they could be called. I was asked my name, and then sent up to the room. It turned out my friends were out, but they arrived a minute later. They were told they could not be let in to the advertised car park much after 8PM as the landlady rose early. She asked where we were going to eat and, on being told, asked why I wanted to eat there as we could eat locally. I explained we were meeting my partner and had a table booked.

While my friends went to move their car, I was subject to a blunt series of questions from the landlady. Where did I live – Cardiff. Why did I have a bag with me – I was on my way to stay at a friend's. Where was I going to sleep that night and why was I sleeping there? I told her that we had only just met and that where I would sleep and why I would be there was really my business. She apologised, I said there was no problem, and, to change the subject, asked her whether she knew the restaurant where we would eat. She told me how she took part in pagan solstice ceremonies at 430AM on top of the nearby hill.

By now, my friends had returned and were going up to their room. One of them mentioned that she had had a stressful journey and was immediately given a massage by Anna. Not “would you like me to give you a massage later”, just “stand there while I massage you” and straight in. You might consider this as friendly and exceptional service or see it as rather intrusive.

I was waiting downstairs when my friends asked me to go up and chat while they got ready. The room was large, clean and well decorated.

Perhaps ten minutes later, there was a knock on the door and the landlady asked me to step outside so she could ‘have a word’. She told me that I had been extremely rude to her, but was unwilling to explain how – I presume by choosing, politely, not to share details of my sleeping arrangements. I said I apologised if I had upset her in any way.
However, she had clearly a lot to get off her chest and as she worked herself up into full flow, while I listened without interrupting or arguing, she told me, among other insults, that my ‘life was going nowhere’ and that I had ‘despicable energy’. The ‘most despicable energy she had seen’. (She later told my friends that I had ‘evil eyes’).

I am a very well travelled, professional family man, approaching 60, and I have never had anyone else tell me any of these things!

While she insulted me, she made various strange signs hand gestures. Whether these were putting some sort of curse on me, or she was trying to ward off my evil influence, I can’t say. (As it happens, I have quite a number of pagan friends, but none of them behave like this).

I was told to wait downstairs, and as it was private premises, as she correctly pointed out, I did so.

This was not a spur of the moment eruption; she must have been working up to it for 10 minutes or more. I find that quite inappropriate for anyone in the hospitality business. As an earlier reviewer says, she is in need of help. Anna, if you are reading this and you are not already receiving any professional counselling or therapy, I would really suggest you consider it.

Potential guests: you may be lucky and Anna may take to you. Or she may not. Your money, your choice.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
9 Thank selimap
Somerset
Reviewed 10 May 2009

My partner and i went to Cardiff to see a band play and check out the city in general. So we werent planning on spending much time in the b&b , we just wanted to stay somewhere relatively cheap and confortable. So, i was pleasantly suprised, on our arrival to receive alovely welcome from the proprietor, Anna, and to find out she is a practising healer. I am very open and interested by this kind of thing, She showed us to a downstairs room full of crystels, where i at one point experienced a strong (but positive!) emotional reaction, which i can only put down to Anna and the all round atmosphere of the place! It was literally like having a healing session thrown in for free, which is a really nice bonus. Our room was confortable, and i loved the bed! Unfortunately, we had such alate night that we missed breakfast and our checkout time!
I would definately go there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fingerpaint
Worcester
Reviewed 2 May 2009

Malbourough Guest House met our needs and more!
*Comfterble and clean room
*FREE WIRELESS INTERNET! was very helpfull for checking e-mail and browsing on what to do on our stay
*Breakfast 5 star with fresh ingrediants cooked perfection
*A short walk in to the city centre
*Pretty rose garden with seating area to suit me and my wifes naughty smoking habit since inposed smoking ban.
Wow, anna the Owner of the guest house also has amazing healing hands as she healed my back which is now pain free, which as botherd me for the last 5 years.
Thanks anna for your complementary healing and perfect stay

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple