“Evening dinner”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
midlands
“Evening dinner”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Ate at top gun while visiting Cardiff for 4 days. The diner is clean and welcoming, lovely fresh fish and nice chips.
It's a takeaway also, so take your pick.
A little slap on the wrist for advertising "hand made mayonnaise" when it came in a carton but it in now way detracts from the fact that it's a lovely place to eat.
Thank you for a great meal.

• Visited April 2014

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fish and chips at its best.”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have been to Top Gun a few times now, and have never had a bad experience. The food is fresh, served very hot and very tasty. They are often very busy so you may have to wait a bit longer than usual but that's to be expected if you want to eat on the Bay.

The chips are tasty, the fish very fresh and the portions are ample sized. However, one little criticism is with the chicken burger. It is extremely good but the burger bun is almost twice the size of the chicken so you are left with large mouthfuls of just bread! Either charge an extra pound and put an extra half of a chicken portion in there, or get smaller buns for the chicken burgers.

Other than that, the staff are very friendly and helpful, and it really is a lovely little restaurant for fish and chips.

• Visited March 2014
Emily I, Public Relations Manager at Top Gun Fish & Chip Co, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and we will take your suggestion into consideration. Please come and visit us again soon!
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Best Cod and chips in a long time”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Coming to Top Gun was one of my earliest dates with my now girlfriend. Apart from the amazing company on that early December evening last year, this place gave me a food experience like no other. The fact that there was a soundtrack featuring crashing waves and seagulls in the background created a very real feel of being by the sea, the same was true of the booths which resembled the little huts by the seaside. It had been a while since I had fish and chips but this was excellent. The Cod was melt in the mouth quality and the batter was perfect, crispy and tasty but not greasy. The chips were a revelation in themselves, best I have tasted in years, fluffy on the inside and yet nice and brown (not burned) on the outside just as good chips should be. To finish there was mushy peas and a tub of tartare sauce, together they complemented the fish and chips perfectly. All told and after taking into account the price this was a a fabulous meal and evening.

• Visited December 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we always try our hardest to make sure our customers have the best experience. Please come back for many more dates with your girlfriend!
Cardiff
“Nice food, poorly presented with far too long waiting times.”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

First visit, looking forward to it as gluten free option available. What a disappointment!!! Order taken quickly by a very nice waitress after that all down hill. Wait for food 25 minutes for two meals!! Staff appeared under pressure. Other customers arrived and left as no one took their order. Our fish was good but chips barely warm and the mushy peas were non existent, just watery liquid a very suspect green colour with a few peas in it. Music too loud and bill incorrect. Waitresses being sent out with food for non existent customers!! A very bad experience. Will probably never go back and certainly wont recommend it.

• Visited April 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Top gun Cardiff bay what can I say . Well the food was amazing and so where the staff on that day . I came in with my friend and was surved by a lovely young lady with blonde hair , she took my Oder and asked if I would like any extra sides such has bread and butter curry ect. Witch I thought was every kind she was every helpful and asked how are day as been so far . Crystal I believe her name was . When A member of staff called for her , . The food was amazing and so where the staff I will most defitly be coming again and telling my friends .

• Visited March 2014
Emily I, Public Relations Manager at Top Gun Fish & Chip Co, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, we really do appreciate them and we look forward to your return.