“There was a fly in my onion ring”
Review of Top Gun Fish & Chip Co - CLOSED

Top Gun Fish & Chip Co
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2016

Don't get me wrong - I like this place. The food is actually really good and you get loads for your money. My partner had a chicken salad and was expecting small chunks of chicken in some mixed leaves and ended up with a massive plate of bacon bits, assorted salad and tomatoes, massive half-chicken and (I think) slaw. I was jealous and I had a burger!

The onion rings I ordered on the side had a fly cooked into the batter and it was served to me that way. The waitress took the price of the onion rings and drinks off the cost of the meal, saving us about £5-7, which I guess was okay, but now I feel like I should've pressed the matter further but I didn't want to get her into trouble.

It's a lovely venue with great food. Would recommend. Just make sure you check the quality of your food!

Date of visit: June 2015

Reviewed 27 March 2016

In this Fish & Chip shop on a cold winter's night in Cardiff I tasted only the second best haddock I have ever had in my life. Get down here and try it if you have the chance. AWESOME!!

Date of visit: October 2015
2  Thank Bad_Pascal
Reviewed 30 January 2016 via mobile

Don't really know where to start... Fancied fish & chips on the quay found this place thought it looked jolly from the inside.. 2 folks in front of us (3).. Ordered .. Given a ticket, 'take a seat we will call your number'...20 mins later 2 meals turned up.. Missing a 'fish chips & peas'.. So back to the q went the new order..decided to nip to the loo.. While they are eating and I waited.. Wooden toilet seat badly marked.. No loo role .. Dirty skirting boards and walls.. Scabby pictures.. All noted while I still waited for my lunch.. Came back.. Still no lunch only to realise the wait was now 25 minutes.. Not one meal passed over the counter to customers was correct whilst we waited for mine.. And I know this sounds untrue... But it wasn't.. (Hope everyone else reviews this today.) ...then when my food eventually came my peas were cold, my fish looked like something that's had been dragged round the quay .. And chips limp and luke warm.. I asked for a proper knife and fork as one of our group had stabbed her fish with her plastic fork and spent time looking for the end of it in case she choked, to be told there wasn't any..( he actually meant he couldn't be bothered to get me one)..very very poor service and food served.. Staff were just not bothered.. Won't be going there ever again.. Pity really as we have someone in uni there and we would love to of had and continue to have a good old 'fish & chip dinner.. And if the owners read this and want to offer free food to us...Don't bother.. There are plenty more fish in the sea..!!!
Ps .. See picture of the knives & forks they don't use.. That others had been using !

1  Thank 87Karen1963
Reviewed 18 January 2016 via mobile

Have been before but very disappointing. Scowling, unhelpful staff, no waitress service and tables covered in rubbish and dirty cutlery

1  Thank Bink222
Reviewed 11 January 2016

Hotel staff recommended this place to us, really cute beach hut booths to sit in which the husband loved, we both ordered a sausage in batter and chips, the food was of ok, but the woman behind the counter was terrible and somehow messed our order up, and whilst we were eating we could hear her screaming and swearing at the boy who was cooking the fish, as a business owner myself i was appalled to see any member of staff spoken to in that manner. Will not be returning

1  Thank JaneAblett