“Room for improvement” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

Twelve of us stayed here on Saturday night of the bank holiday weekend. The hotel was okay, but some of the younger members of our group were told very rudely by the two female receptionists that" cash was not allowed, only payment by card- hospital policy" and they were told to "move away from the counter2 When I said that I would pay for them they glared at me as if this would be too much work for them! I did not want to make a fuss as it was the begining of our trip but on reflection I should have as this was the worst attitude I have ever encountered in all the years I have used hotels. The rooms were adequate, very roomy though very hot! but the windowsills were filthy, stained with coffee and full of dust. On a positive note the male members of staff were extremely helpfull and the breakfast was ok. Due to the rudeness of the receptionists I would be reluctant to use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't forget to take a card or else you won't have any room!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joan l
P.Lago, Group Operations Manager at Future Inn Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Cardiff Bay.
I apologise sincerely if our staff were rude to you and your party- that is not the standard of customer care that we train and use and I will speak to both members of staff concerning their attitude and behaviour.
We have not accepted cash for several years in line with industry standards and practice and this is made clear in our terms and conditions and on our websites and booking confirmations.
Our reservations staff also let guests know this information when they are booking by telephone.
If you would like to contact me at the hotel I should be pleased to discuss your stay with you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed at the Future Inn for two nights. It is slightly out of the way from the main bay area surrounded by very large car parks.

Our room was large, clean with a comfortable bed, plenty of towels, good products and a large TV.

Breakfast was included in our reasonably priced room. This was a buffet style affair with all the usual suspects there. The staff were helpful and ran the room efficiently.

Really my only two criticisms would be, why put an artificial plastic chrysanthemum on each table in the dining room? For a modern hotel this really is a no no. The coffee was terrible and can only be described as coloured water. However there is a coffee machine at the bar which makes very nice coffee so go for that which is a much better option.

The only other food I had was a club sandwich served with Cesar salad, however in real terms this was just lettuce with no dressing so I am not quite sure where Cesar came in! However the room service worked quickly and efficiently. I thought £10 was a bit heavy but a nice sandwich brought up by charming staff.

All the staff with whom I came in contact were very polite and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suseyq
Good Morning-thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at Future Inn Cardiff Bay.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with the coffee-we are always happy to provide stronger/weaker freshly brewed coffee on request and I have passed your comments about the coffee and room service sandwich to our Food and Beverage Manager to review and improve.
Thank you for your kind comments about our staff.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Future Inns in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here for three nights while attending a conference. I was a bit surprised to have my card charged for the full stay at check-in. I’m used to the card being swiped to cover incidentals, etc. but here the whole charge went on – I’ve only ever experienced that at cheap B&Bs. The room was clean, the bathroom reasonably well-equipped, and the free wi-fi is a nice touch. Though spacious, the room had an ultra-budget spartan look, with cheap fixtures and furniture lining the walls, leaving the centre of the room strangely bare and under-utilised.

The hotel is sandwiched between a busy overpass and a big roundabout. My room, on the fourth floor, looked on to the roundabout, beyond which was a grim steel works. Needless to say, there's a lot of traffic noise, so opening the window isn’t an option if you want to hear yourself think. The alternative, turning on the ventilation system, is only slightly quieter.

The bed is big but very firm, and I found the lumpy pillows uncomfortable. I might have noticed the pillows less, had I not been woken up repeatedly by the ridiculously noisy and over-sprung doors. Note that there’s no room-safe.

Things really go downhill at breakfast time, though. I think this one of the worst breakfasts I’ve ever had at a hotel. It’s not just that they serve the typical low-budget offerings of vats of baked beans and stewed tomatoes, fried eggs swimming in oil, and fruit only in chopped form, floating in water. It’s that the service was so inconsistent. The over-worked staff seem to try their best, but I repeatedly had to ask for someone to bring bowls, glasses and cutlery to the serving area, and food supplies often dried up, especially late in the breakfast period.

Though check-out wasn't required, I was told I'd have to ask for a receipt at the end of my stay. The teenage employee who processed my request could use a bit more customer service training, although you could say that his bare-bones approach to communication was consistent with the sparse decor in my room.

I guess this is what I should have expected for around £75 per night. Was it unrealistic to hope for just a little more?

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank EnricoCaruso
Good Morning and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Future Inn Cardiff Bay.I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and I would like to address some of the comments you make.
Our roms are very simple and contemporary in style but we try as a three star hotel to give added value by offering every guest free carparking, free wi-fi in the bedrooms and also free local telephone calls-this is hugely appreciated by the majority of both our leisure and business guests.
I am afraid there is little I can do about the location of the hotel but we are only 15 minutes walk from the City centre or 5 minutes from the Millenium Centre and Mermaid Quay at Cardiff Bay.
As you state you were part of a very large conference and there were over 400 people in house at the time of your stay-that is not an excuse but inevitably there are times when we reach a 'pinch point' with lots of guests arriving at the same time-the breakfast buffet offering is not quite as limited as you suggest and no matter how busy we are we will always cook different styles of eggs to order or provide a continental selection fresh on request and that is clearly signed in the restaurant..
Jack who is the member of the team you comment on is a trainee under a government scheme to try and help young long term unemployed people get a foothold on the job ladder and to receive training and support-all of the feedback we have received about him and Sarah our other trainee has been positive and I apologise if you felt that you were not treated correctly by Jack at check out and I will review that part of his training.
I apologise sincerely if you were disappointed with your stay.
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
Caldicot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

We booked Future Inns for our wedding reception and so had a complimentary suite as part of the package. As we had decided not to go on honeymoon straight away we decided to treat ourselves to an extra night. When we booked this with the wedding co-ordinator we were told that we could have the suite for the extra night at a reduced rate.
Upon booking in we were given our room number and so we took our luggage up. On entering the room we realised that we had been booked into a standard double rather than a suite. We went back to reception to advise and they said that we could have a suite for the first night but that they had none available for the second night. We advised that we would take the suite for the first night and then move. However, after about 5 minutes of the reception team double checking they advised that we could stay in the suite for both nights. So a minor disapointment but resolved quickly so can't complain too much.
As with other reviews we also had the comedy moment of looking for the toilet once we got to our new room, the bathroom door in also the toilet door! Once found we realised that there was no loo paper so had to ask at reception twice to get some delivered.
The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. We also had breakfast included in our deal and this was one of the best buffet style breakfasts I have had in a restaurant. All the food was piping hot, fresh and restocked regularly so you were never waiting around for food. Even though the hotel was very busy, rugby on in Cardiff, there were tables available and plenty of food and juices.
All the reception staff were friendly and helpful and although we did not need it housekeeping did knock on the door to see if we wanted the room cleaned and asked if we needed any extra items.
It was a pleaseure to stay in this hotel and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a stay in Cardiff Bay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
P.Lago, Group Operations Manager at Future Inn Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your wedding and we were happy to be part of it.Apologies for the confusion over your room I am pleased that was quickly resolved.
Thank you for all you kind comments and i will pass them on to the staff.
with best wishes for a long and happy marriage.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed at the Future Inn as part of a large group. On arrival a buffet was provided. The female staff memeber that served me slapped the tepid food on my plate causing it to splash up my arm, this was repeated with other members of the party.

The television signal in my room did not work which I reported. A member of staff came to my room and tried to fix it ensuring me they would have someone to fix it the following day - that never happened.

In the morning everyone in the group was treated to a cold shower as there was a problem with the water system. We went out on this very hot day and on coming back that evening we all had showers in preparation for a presentation dinner. The rooms were extremely hot and the air conditioning didn't work, almost causing need for another shower after getting ready. The meal was again below par with yellow brocolli and limp mange tout. The night was really warm and again the air conditioning did not work making it difficult to sleep.

Around the toilet on the wall tiles there was pubic hair and staining that may have been vomit or faeces.

The breakfasts were average.

On checking out I handed in a comment form detailing the problems we had. On failing to have anyone get in touch after a few days I called the hotel and was told the comment form had gone missing and not been read by any management.

I received an apology and a reduced rate if I chose to stay again.

I will not be staying again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Breccaf
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Future Inns Cardiff.I was disappointed to read your comments particularly as we had been in contact with you to try and resolve matters.
The feedback form you completed was lost but our Deputy General Manager contacted you once you had made us aware that you had not received a response.I also confirm that you received a partial refund on check out which you accepted-the large group you were with have regularly held this event with us and all the feedback from the organiser and other guests has been very positive-I am sorry that you were disappointed,you were offered a complimentary stay at any of our hotels but you declined as you said it was to far to travel.If you change your mind the offer is still there.My sincere apologies again for any disappointment that you experienced.Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Stayed at the Future Inn, Cardiff Bay recently for a 2 night stay. We managed to get a discount as we had booked tickets to see an opera at the Cardiff Millennium Theatre ( you have to contact the theatre to give you a code to get a discount at the hotel).

Lovely spacious room with 2 double beds. Bathroom had a bath as well as shower (quite a rarity nowadays). Room had a proper mini hairdryer by the dressing table (not the old cheap ones without a nozzle). TV, tea & coffee making facilities, iron with ironing board. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast -full cooked variety , croissants and pastries, fresh fruit salald. Very welcoming and filing. Plenty of car parking.

Convenient location for the theatre and Cardiff Bay where there are quite a few eating places. Atmosphere buzzing and lively! Within easy reach of the city by bus or car.

Wished we could have stayed longer . We will certainly book again when we have another visit to Cardiff.

Noticed that they currrently had a promotion stay for 3 nights and pay for only 2. However, you cannot use this with other offers that you may have.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road so you don't hear the trafficc when the window is open.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Good orning and thank you for your review of your recent stay at Future Inn Cardiff.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and i have passed on your kind comments to all of the relevant staff.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Cornwall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

I stayed here for 2 days as part of a fishing competition, so some of the corporate parts of my stay may not reflect normal routine for a single traveller.
The hotel is situated in between main roads and carparks and near to food facilities. There is plenty of free parking. My room had 2 queen beds in it and was very clean and well appointed. Nice TV, good clean bathroom and FREE wifi, which is great compared some hotels who charge. I found the mattress a little hard for my liking, but my colleage said he was fine with his bed. The room has climate control, which is good as the hotel got quite hot.
Like others there is a comedy moment finding the toilet, as when you open the bathroom door the door becomes the door to the toilet, so you walk in and look for the pan and there is not one. Eventually your brain figures out that the door you already used, can be opened to reveal the toilet... Wierd.
Our food was prepared for our group of 160 or more and was pretty good one the whole. All served fresh and hot and numbers were not a problem. They even coped with most of us hitting the breakfast buffet at 6.30 without running out of food, unlike the holiday inn, Ipswich last year which failed miserably. So all in all a good show by the hotel staff to make our stay work well and be enjoyable. Why not excellent? A couple of things just took the edge off perfection. Our window catch was broken so would not close and keep out traffic noise. The scrambled egg was metalic as the chef had scraped the pan into the eggs. No hot water one morning as the boiler broke. All things which you may not have to endure as they can be avoided.
Booze is a tad expensive, but then again it's not Wetherspoons.

Room Tip: Tip: A higher floor will get you away from the traffic noise. Don't shower with the bathroo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business