“Nice hotel, great location”

Future Inn Cardiff Bay
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Spent a couple of nights here and hotel served its purpose. Large room with 2 double beds, large TV, well appointed bathroom, everything lovely and clean. Agree with previous reviewer old shoe and glass from the bar remained outside our room in corridor for the duration of our stay, housekeeping could pay more attention. Reception staff did their job but lacked the friendly approach didn't make us feel particularly welcome, breakfast was overpriced but plenty of nicer cheaper places a short walk away. Cardiff bay is lovely, can't speak highly enough of the area for a
Short break. Overall hotel did its job, location, 5 minute walk to bay area was excellent, felt like it was more geared towards business clientele, definitely lacked personality and charm.

R

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Przemek K, General Manager at Future Inn Cardiff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Maidencrew

Thank you very much for taking the time to put down your thoughts in writing. I have responded to many varying reviews on trip advisor, though it is rare that someone says our hotel is without charm and personality. Our business is definitely mixed between business and leisure clientele as all hotels are. This is a balance that is often difficult to get perfect, but seeing as the majority of our rooms are family style rooms and we are located within a very popular leisure district, I am unable to see from where you have reached the conclusion that we are aimed at mainly business clientele.
Our Housekeeping team and Nights Team do regular floor walks so it is very rare if not impossible for a glass to be left outside during the entire length of a stay, and an old shoe is something I have never seen outside a room in this hotel. A pair maybe, but not a solitary, old, shoe. We are very glad that you enjoyed most of the services and extras offered, we hope that you will come stay again. But this time please let us know if you see any footwear lost on the floors.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Remember it's an average 3 star hotel, so don't expect fireworks on welcome and luxury breakfast. Having said that we would recommend it. Our room was large with comfy bed, sofa and tv. Airconditioning was working well (little loud but doing its job). Bathroom was clean with nice shower. Breakfast - usual full english, bread, cheese and cereals, it would be great to have some fresh veg for a sandwich also. Bar staff was nice and friendly, reception - less enthusiastic.
Our room only had one bath towel so we called reception and it was delivered before we came back from town in the evening.
The only unpleasant sight was the same set of empty glasses on the corridor floor for two days (surely staff have seen it but didn't bother to collect). Overall it was a good value for money and I would stay here again.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

One of the best parts of this hotel are its location, Cardiff bay is really nice. The red dragon centre is directly across from the hotel which has plenty of places to eat and an odeon if you want something to do thats not too far. The parking is free and so is the wifi which is a plus.

Our room was clean and tidy apart from the toilet which had a strong smell of urine. We didn't notice this until the evening when we got back and because the toilet was clean we never complained. Id say they should deal with the problem as its put me off ever staying there again. The shower though was amazing.

The staff need customer service training, on check in the girl at reception just had an air of couldn't be bothered, I say this because every question we had and they weren't many seemed to be a big effort. The staff in the bar area chat to each other as they serve you which was just rude really. I dont expect undivided attention but its nice to have eye contact when I take my drink.

The £9 breakfast is disapointing and cold, don't bother. Drive to frankie and hennys it was hot and worth the money.

Room Tip: Only stay for location and don't buy breakfast.

Dear Teegy Sarah

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is always appreciated to gain feedback. We are very glad that you enjoyed our location. We are very lucky to be a short walk from anything interesting that can be found in Cardiff Bay. The smell of urine that you note is actually more likely to be the smell of the cleaning products that we use. I have seen this noted before though investigation always leads to a bathroom that smells of Toilet Cleaning Product. We will look into using another product which has a more fresh and clean smell.
I was disappointed to see that you found issues with the manner in which you were treated by some staff. We will be looking into this issue and seeing what we can do so that change is recognizable and quick. I do have to state that I feel you may have had an usual experience at breakfast. It’s a part of our service that is often praised and so I was surprised to hear such resounding disappointment. I will have to disagree about the other brand that you mention being worth the money though. I had to complain there recently as the food portions were tiny and the prices very expensive. I suppose every customer can have a negative experience sometimes.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We visited Cardiff this week and stayed at the Future Inn on Atlantic Wharf. We were greeted by friendly reception staff and promptly checked in. I envisaged an adequate but basic room so was pleasantly surprised to find it furnished with two double beds ( American style,) and lots of space. Very comfortable.
Breakfast is self service, again the staff friendly and the food well cooked and tasty. Free newspaper from reception.
I would recommend the Future Inn for your trip to Cardiff.

Dear Lucyatmatlock66

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Future Inn Cardiff Bay. Although I do not want to correct such a praise filled review I will put forward that officially our two double beds are ‘Canadian Style’ though I can barely tell you the difference between Canadian or American style myself. I’m sure that our Canadian brothers and sisters would like me to register the differences. We are very glad that you found our hotel beat your expectations.
We hope that you will return to us soon and that you will be greeted with an experience which equals your last or betters it.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay with my husband and son. Great location for The Doctor Who Experience - purpose of our visit - and Cardiff Bay which is ace.

We arrived at the hotel at 4pm and booked in the hotel receptionist wasn't particularly welcoming but hey ho, she was busy counting cash when we arrived.

We went up to our room which was very nice and we were very happy with the air con as it was SO hot !!

After reading reviews on here, I phoned on Sunday afternoon to check our reservation and to make sure the sofa bed would be made up for our little boy, I was told it would be.
The sofa bed was not made up, I phoned down to reception 4 times and the phone wasn't answered, so I went down in person.

I was told not to worry it would be sorted, and it hadn't been yet as the hotel was busy (as a paying guest not really my problem) so I left it at that and my son had a nap on my bed. We couldn't really relax as we were expecting a knock from housekeeping that never came.

We then went out for dinner and returned at 9.30pm, I asked same receptionist if the bed had been made up, she said she would check with housekeeping but came back saying there was no one around, but felt sure it would have been done. We got to the room, and it hadn't. I spoke to reception, yet again and 5 minutes later a very nice man from housekeeping arrived at 9.40pm!!

I got the impression that the hotel staff were great, but the reception staff didn't give a monkeys. Like others have said,some customer service skills wouldn't go amiss. I wondered if the service would have been better if I hadn't paid up front or if I'd been a corporate client?

Other than the poor service, the hotel facilities were good, nice room, fab air con, good bathroom, we found it quiet with lots of parking and free wifi and an iron, ironing board and hair dryer in the room..

We didn't pay £9 each for breakfast but went down to The Lock Keepers Cottage and had a sausage butty and a coffee for £2.50 instead. If you walk through the Red Dragon Centre you can get down to the bay where there are loads of places to eat and you can walk to the Dr Who exhibition too,in about 10 mins. We'd definitely return to Cardiff Bay it is fab. However, this was a nice hotel but customer service needs some work.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank turtle2011

Dear Turtle2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I was very disappointed to hear that you stay was not perfect. I am of course very glad that you enjoyed the hotel, location, the services and extras. I have carefully noted your customer service problems that you have mentioned. We should have had the sofa bed ready for your arrival, especially as you pointed it out to us before you arrived. And if something isn’t done properly then it is very important that we handle the situation correctly and with humble understanding. We can only blame ourselves when things go wrong but there should be no excuses for poor service. I can promise you that our reception team is very polite and professional, though everyone has glitches at times and hopefully it is something that is easily resolved through an extensive training program and a little use of common sense. I can assure you that all of our guests are treated equally. I hope that you will return to stay with us again and that you will see a very marked improvement.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed for a night. Impressed with room. All clean and tidy. We had kings suite, bed was huge. Quiet through night heard doors banging occasionally. Expected its hotel after all. Food at Thomas was great. Excellent service. Much better than what we eat in the bay midday. Definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We paid extra and took kings suite. Good choice for me as am a early riser and you have two rooms. L...

Dear Hgnisydna

Thank you for your kind review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to our kitchen team and I’m sure our Head Chef will be delighted with your views. There has been a lot of change over the past few months and your notes on the food quality really do help us feel that we’re heading in the right direction.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to let us know your feelings and we hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

A Monday to Thursday midweek leisure break. Checkin was ok but not as swift as most hotels ; seemed to have difficulty with the paper copy of the reservation? Arrived in room 136 and first impressions very good about size etc. on checking the bathroom we had one bath mat and no towels? Reception contacted and within 15 minutes towels arrived. Sometime later someone else arrived with even more towels?? On the Wednesday we arrived back at just after 2pm. The room had not been serviced so contacted reception. "What is it that you are short of?" Beds not made, no clean towels I.e. not serviced?? After no update after 30 minutes, called reception again and told it was with housekeeping? After a further 20 minutes of no action / update we presented ourselves at reception. Stacey on reception did not know or seem to care that nothing was being done. Just saying the hotel was very busy and new arrivals came first??? She had no idea of when the room would be serviced and inferred this was the norm? Having paid up front you have very little sanction to this type unfortunate attitude. Thomas another member of the reception team did come over after some delay to update as to when the room would be ready. Eventually we were told the room was ready. No lean towels and bathroom not cleaned, quick lick and a promise! As we wanted to rest could not go through that palaver again. There is nothing in the hotel notes that says rooms will not be ready by 2 on subsequent days of your stay. We were out of our room by 9am on all days. No door indicators for do not disturb / service room ?? Location, free parking and free wifi a bonus. May consider staying here again but there's plenty more choice in the Bay. Difficult to recommend. The problems we had were due to staff attitude and possibility of the lack of housekeeping staff? The actual hotel mechanics, room size, wifi, car parking and location were fine.

Dear Eugene B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Although it’s pretty obvious that your stay could have been better we still appreciate knowing where we go wrong as well as where we succeed. I have spoken about your issues with both our Reception team and our Housekeeping team and we have decided to review the procedures we use whilst communicating information. We do care deeply about making your stay good, and for that we need to get things right and if we do get something wrong then we should be able to correct it quickly and with the correct manner.
We are very glad that the rest of our services fitted your needs but really we could have done a whole lot better. I really do hope that one day in the near future you will come and stay again, as I am sure you will see that the issues you had are not an everyday occurrence.