“Extra charge for room on arrival”

Future Inn Cardiff Bay
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Extra charge for room on arrival”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Booked on line and paid for a family room for up to 4 people 2 adults 2 children arrived and was charged extra plus we had to ask for an extra bed to be made up in the room. Parking was a worry they said at reception park near the Pizza Place. Rooms were okay breakfast was good lots to choose from. Tip ask for a room at the back of the hotel some noise from the traffic on the main road in front of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
aylesbury
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Twin room booked, double offered on arrival. Polish receptionist (Thomas) did not understand concept of twin beds!! "But the bed sleeps two people" he said.
Room changed for a twin, the bed had not been changed, only noticed on close examination after seeing bloodstains on pillow.
At 6 pm management promised to have it cleaned before we got back from dinner.
At 8 pm when we returned it had not been attended to, and on complaining at reception were informed it would be attended to shortly i.e. after they had finished processing a group of late arrivals. After loudly complaining that finding bloodstains and d dirty linen on the bed the offered to change the room, it is now our third bedroom!
Noticed the standards had dropped dramatically, no longer wifi in room, no courtesy bottle of water, no tissues and most worrying of all no sanitary towel disposable bags in any of the three bedrooms Also, Note: having been there on many occasions over the years we were told that the Thomas's the restaurant is sub contracted and not actually part of the hotel after we had complained that the ham sandwich we ordered in room service was actually a piece of bacon left over from breakfast and put between two pieces of bread (not buttered).
Also you will note the food on display is not covered and we decided not to eat thee having seen the guy in front of us actually sneeze of the hot food laid out uncovered on the counter.
Will never ever go there again and certainly won't ever recommend it.
I can't offer an alternative because we have always stayed there but it has deteriorated beyond comparison now, visit it at your peril.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iamsaddened
P.Lago, Group Operations Manager at Future Inn Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest
I am disappointed to read the review of your stay at Cardiff and apologise sincerely for the experience you have had.
I have asked the General Manager to carry out a detailed investigation and I will report back to you with my findings as to why things went so badly wrong.
I am anxious to put this matter right and if you would like to contact me direct at the hotel I should be pleased to have the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Kapelle, the Netherlands
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hotel has huge rooms, two kings size beds in a single room :-) Neat and clean. I liked the fact that you have the possibility to make some coffee and tea, a possibility that not all hotels offer you nowadays.

Unfortunately, I could not get rid of the heat in my room despite opening my window during the day and having set the air-co at the coldest degrees possible. I am convinced that they can save their money on heating!

Room Tip: nothing in particular to say about this. My room faced the motorway, which caused noise during night...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
London, UK
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The room was spacious, mostly clean and well-appointed (apart from slightly old towels). Breakfast was decent, pretty standard hot and cold buffet, though they wanted to charge my husband for a hot chocolate (on top of the high room cost! - no thanks). But, the location was really odd and it has no character at all. It's at the edge of a car park for the red dragon centre (cinema/bowling) so to get anywhere you have to walk through a massive car park. Also, looks out on dual carriageways on all sides, so it's not very quiet and the views are terrible (ours was road then office block). Less than 10 mins walk to Cardiff bay though (which is a plus). Free parking, which is a bonus, and why we booked it. Strangely, our standard double room included two queen-size beds. One king size (or even standard) double would have been better...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Easy to find and ideally located for the Cardiff Bay Area.
The hotel is fairly new and well appointed with the bar and restaurant at the front overlooking the car areas. The room was smart, clean and fresh with excellent views over the Cardiff City as I was on the 6th floor.
Quiet during the night and an excellent sleep.
The breakfast was superb, with hot and cold choices.
Excellent value for money

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Maily
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I returned to Cardiff this September, for the first time since 1988. Felt I'd done quite enough traveling this year, but some friends of mine asked me to join them because they wanted to see the Dr. Who exhibition. They chose the hotel, and I got a room there as well.

Once we managed to find the hotel (arriving by train from London after our flight from Oslo, we opted to walk, as we thought it'd give us some idea of the layout of the area, got lost and ended up on the motorway south of the hotel, something that happens from time to time apparently), I must say we were very pleased. A fairly new building, it is pleasantly roomy, with a nice bar and restaurant, and very helpful and chatty staff. Mind you, after the long walk we had, getting lost and all, any place would have been welcome.

Anyhow, the room I got was very nice and big. The tv was large, there was a sofa (since I had a single bed room) and I sat down with a couple of beers and some UK tv while the others rested. The bed was very comfortable, and for maybe the first time ever, I got really good pillows, nice, firm, and more than one of them! So I slept really well here. Only slight irritant was finding a nearly finished roll of toilet paper left on the holder in the bathroom when I first arrived. I know it isn't much to go on about, but I don't reminders of the previous occupants. It's just one of those little things that nags at you.

Hotel is surrounded by parking lots and those US style eating chains that need a lot of parking around them, something that looks a little bland and sterile, but also helps making the place fairly quiet.

So, all in all, I had a nice stay here.

Oh, and Doctor Who and Cardiff was very nice as well, so do take a trip to Wales if you can.

Heads up, walking from the train station, when you reach the Red Dragon Center, don't walk past it and turn left by the Millennium Center, turn left as you reach it, that way you avoid getting south of the highway you don't see on Google maps, due to the fact it comes up from underground, which cuts you off from the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north are probably quieter than those facing south (due to the highway), but won't...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Splitenz71
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Booked a two-room suite via Expedia on a room only basis, and asked for a travel cot, and the sofa in the suite to be made up as a bed as we had a 4 year old and a 2 year old with us.

Checked in and was given a room with two queen beds in it. Went back to reception and said that was not what we'd booked. They then found us a suite (room 501/502) but the sofa bed hadn't been made up and there was no cot. Good job I brought my own just in case.

Room itself was clean, well-appointed, and very spacious. The suite room with sofa, chair and desk was also roomy, and contained a fridge and a TV. Genius door configuration in the bathroom (bathroom door doubles as toilet door). Unfortunately when we tried to make ourselves a hot drink after the kids were in bed, the kettle shorted out the electrics to the entire suite, and the kids' nightlight went off (epic bedtime fail). Someone came to reset it, and we gave it another go. Same thing happened. 20-minutes of wrangling with the front desk and ascertaining that the kettle was faulty, they offered us a tray of tea and coffee to be brought up to the room, free of charge. This was a really good solution.

We had a peaceful night's sleep, and checked out the following morning, but were disappointed to find the "free" tea and coffee put on our bill! After explaining what had happened, they were happy to remove it.

The gym facility was closed until further notice, and the vending machines only sold a limited selection of drinks.

All in all, the facilities are good, but it's a lot of little things that let it down. Wrong room, broken kettle, having to make beds myself or bring them with us, no gym facilities despite being advertised, tea and coffee not taken off bill before checkout, etc.

The staff were friendly though, and willing to help which is why I rated it as 4* not anything lower.

Room Tip: On the hunt for a functioning kettle, and also having the wrong room to start with, I saw rooms on t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Przemek K, General Manager at Future Inn Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear HaloHoney

Thank you for your very well balanced and honest review. It often happens that when somebody writes a review on trip advisor, it is very limited and contains only the negatives rather than explaining what went right as well, so it is truly appreciated that you took the time to write a comprehensive review.
I would like to address some of the issues that you experienced during your stay. Firstly in relation to you being given the wrong room type on check-in. This is something that seems to be a regular issue when people book through a third party website. They are very large companies who often fail passing over the correct details about peoples bookings. The main issues that we have with them is due to erroneous allocations, no special room requirements (cots and extra beds) and the number of people that will be staying. We have tried to speak about these issues with the companies involved but they seem to have an ‘our way or the highway’ approach to this sort of issues, and while customers like yourself continue to book through these sites they will not change. It is always recommended that you check directly with the hotel if all request have been passed to us as we hardly ever make those sort of mistakes.
At this point it is very important to note that we have Cots available in the hotel and someone would come to you set it up and make the sofa bed for you if you ask. When you encounter a problem like this then the housekeeping department can help very quickly, you have paid for such services and they are always available. The kettle tripping the fuse is regrettable, unfortunately this is something that happens but not every day and we should be faster when responding to such problems. To then get charged for the Free Tea and Coffee you were sent is also regrettable but we wouldn’t try to make you pay for things like that and that is why it was instantly refunded when it was brought to our attention.
The gym facilities are currently out of service and we are trying to rectify this. And we removed the Chocolate Bar Vending Machine from the 1st floor as it was barely ever used. Instead there are snacks available at reception and the bar stocks chocolate, crisps, nuts and cans of drink etc.

The main point I would like to make is that communicating directly with us, when making the booking and if troubles occur are fundamental in us being able to deliver a tailored service.

I hope you return to us one day, if you do then I would suggest booking in advance to gain potential discounts and offers. I’m very sure that this will prove to you that we are reasonably priced and very capable of offering superb customer service.

Kindest Regards