“Great Hotel but choose carefully”

Future Inn Cardiff Bay
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Firstly the positives:
Clean, friendly, excellent location for Cardiff Bay or Millennium Centre and only a short ride from the centre in a cab of which there are lots. Free parking, free wifi. Fantastic Breakfast! Well appointed, clean and comfortable rooms.
I stayed here for two nights over the weekend and my experience of the hotel was really great but there is a caveat. My advice would be to think carefully if you are a family or couple before booking over a weekend. There are a lot of stag and hen parties staying at the hotel and there are people crashing through the hotel all night and early morning so if you want a good nights sleep then I'd probably avoid at the weekend but apart from that, Excellent!

Room Tip: Ask them to put you away from hens and stags and avoid rooms close to the lifts for a better nights...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
P.Lago, Group Operations Manager at Future Inn Cardiff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Kristian J
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel.
As you discovered the Cardiff Bay area has a wide and diverse range of entertainment from Wales Millennium Centre to Dr Who Experience and many bars and restaurants.
At weekends we do try to place family groups and guests who appreciate peace and quiet on the higher floors of the hotel and we tend to allocate the lower floors to younger groups.This usually works well for us and our guests but sometimes at busy periods-like last weekend-the hotel was full- it can present difficulty but it is the exception rather than the rule.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Along with a group of girl friends I stayed at the future inn this weekend. Nice and clean. Excellent service. Other guests in our floor ruined the 2nd nights stay for us and I'm sure other guests by screaming, shouting and fighting in the corridor at 3am, 5.30am and 7.30am. Not only was this very threatening for us it meant we had an extraordinarily broken night's sleep. Was disappointed that the hotel staff didn't seem to do anything about it despite them knowing all about it.

Other than that, and having to chase up housekeeping a number of times, the stay was excellent. The rooms were well appointed, beds comfortable, bathrooms lovely and clean and most important of all the breakfast was PERFECT!!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay.
I was disturbed to read about your experience and I should be grateful if you could contact the Hotel General Manager at your earliest convenience to allow us to investigate what happened.
There is no record of a complaint from your room but we did have to deal with a disturbance on the first floor early on Sunday morning and I am not sure if this is the incident you are referring to-please be assured and other guests we take these matters very seriously.
I hope we will hear from you shortly.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

While staying in Canada recently we stayed at the Future inns Hotel in (Novia Scotia) and what a fantastic experience it was so when visiting family in Cardiff for half term we were delighted to find a Future Inns.
This hotel was in a fantastic area and I thought ideal for families... checked in smoothly and was very impressed with the hotel as the rooms were beautiful and restaurant was excellent with very polite staff.
But then an incident occurred later in the reception area where the one lady behind reception thought is was acceptable to shout aggressively at my 4 year old daughter for touching the doors in reception which left myself and my daughter upset and myself totally horrified much to the shocked looks from other guests also in reception. To find out from another member of staff that this lady Magda was the manager on duty that night made the situation worse. This spoilt our last night and sadly left us with a different view of the Future Inns.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anto3966

Good Morning and thank you for your kind review-I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay both with us and at the Future Inns hotel in Canada.
I am sorry that you felt Magda spoke inappropriately- we had an incident with a small child jamming their hand into the door mechanism a few weeks ago and the child had to go to hospital-we then had another incident where a child playing in the revolving door jammed the mechanism with a soft toy and ended up stuck and hysterical- so the staff are probably very aware to avoid a situation where a guest or child would become injured or stuck-it was not Magda's intention to be aggressive -she was being alert to a possible risk-my sincere apologies that this impacted upon your stay.
Please feel free to contact me or the General Manager at the hotel if you would like to discuss the matter further.. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have stayed here on many occasions over the last 7 years and have always enjoyed my stay with no cause for complaint. Prices vary on what events are happening in Cardiff on that weekend but have never paid more than £117 bed & breakfast 2 sharing on a Friday night.

The staff are always hospitable and accommodating and the rooms are spacious and very clean with massive beds. They provide you with a bottle of water, 2 x wine glasses & ice bucket in each room with an ice machine available in the corridor, which is brilliant as well as the usual tea/coffee/ biscuits etc.

We stayed here last on January 18th as we had tickets to see a show in the Millennium Centre which is within walking distance and this hotel is perfect for that. There are plenty of restaurants around and a £5 taxi fare to the city centre (during the day)

Breakfast is really nice - but don't understand why they put dried herbs on the grilled tomatoes?
Room service was pricey (but isn't it always) but very nice and was delivered with a smile :)

This is definitely my hotel of choice when staying in Cardiff and I certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on the 13th for 1 night we booked the king suite as it was value for money in our opinion! The bed was extremely comfy and massive superking I believe, bathroom was the usual with complementary toiletries and fresh clean towels, the room also had an adjoining living room area with settee and chair with large tv, the room also had a full sized fridge which we found useful and tea/coffee making facilities. Overall the room was very clean only complaint I had was that the hotel is very close to a main road and the windows didnt seem to block the noise. We didnt use the onsite bar/restaurant as we went to the Red Dragon Centre which is a 10 minute walk away with lots of places to eat/drink with bowling and cinema. Staff were very friendly and professional at all times, would definitely stay again and recommend this little gem to anyone.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This hotel is an absolute gem. Although not a fancy hotel, the quality of accommodation and service offered by all staff was perfect. In fact the response of the staff to minor issues we had was almost uncanny to the point of anticipating our needs. I have never come across this high standard of service in any hotel outside the USA before ever. Congratulations and thanks to the hotel staff and management as you made our stay a great experience and we will definitely stay at any of the Future Inns again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Major D
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here for the 6 nations game, around 15-20 minute walk from the City Centre, things got off to a dodgy start when the hotel could not find my reservation or so we thought. They had my name but a different address, was looking bad until a different member of staff said some records had been merged, she said she would put us on the sixth floor as that's where the families and quiet people are, more of this later.

Have to say very happy with the room and other staff we came into contact with, the hotel is close to numerous restaurants. It was very clean.

Unfortunately during the night there was an issue on our corridor lots of screaming and shouting, eventually rang reception at 1am, the man who answered asked if it was the girls again saying they were a bit too immature for that floor, why put them there then? My 11 yr old managed to sleep through most of it.

To be fair after that call the staff did seem to get a grip of it.

The only other issue was the bath water the next morning was cold, it had been very hot the night before, very strange.

I noticed the hotel offered a late check out on a Sunday if you bought a carvery lunch, good idea.

Overall I would only stay here again if the price was right, maybe they accept too much of a young party crowd which is an issue if you have young children.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family