“Comfortable stay but poor customer service”

Future Inn Cardiff Bay
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
UK
“Comfortable stay but poor customer service”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed over the Easter bank holiday weekend in a suite - a perfect option so the kids could sleep in the lounge area, separate from the main bedroom. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was ok and kids ate free. We had a couple of issues with service - a rude lady on arrival for check in simply shook her head and said "no" when I gave her the booking name. When I eventually found my confirmation email, she simply said I had given her the wrong name! We went up to the room at around 4pm - the children's bed wasn't made up - no bedding available and there was one towel and one cup for a family of 4. This did arrive later, after 2 phone calls to reception but we were annoyed and it delayed us going out. Bathroom was fine, but the toilet smelt really badly of urine from the moment we arrived. All in all a decent stay, good location and reasonable price. But could improve customer service massively!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Jersey, Channel Islands
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We booked two nights at the Future Inn, Cardiff Bay. For a little extra I went for a suite that gave us plenty of space. There was a comfortable bedroom and bathroom plus a separate living area with sofa, TV and fridge.
The location was very good for the Bay and took about 5 minutes to walk into the heart of the activity. Buses into the city centre and to Barry were frequent from the main Bay complex.
Parking was free as was the wifi and I would have no hesitation in booking this hotel again if visiting Cardiff.
Well recommended and it was great for what we required.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and go for a suite - we requested the top floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent location - opposite the Red Dragon Centre and about 5 mins walk to Cardiff Bay with its wide range of restaurants and bars. We arrived early but were able to check in anyway. Nice, spacious room with a large double bed, sofa, TV, tea/coffee facilities etc. and bathroom was very clean. Breakfast was buffet-style, plenty of choice and very tasty! A good choice if treating yourself to a stay after a show in the Millennium Centre.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Am currently here on the 4th of my 6 day stay. I was attracted to this hotel by the fact it was a.) cheap and b.) had FREE parking.

Motorists be warned! Cardiff parking is extremely expensive - in NCP on average 4 hours will cost you 12 pounds minimum. To make matters worse, some of the well known inner city hotels actually charge you to park so do double check this before booking.

Future Inn prices seem pretty competitive. I expected nothing better than a travelodge or at best a Premier Inn standard. Actually, the hotel was a major surprise. The room was very spacious, fitted with two full size and extremely comfortable double beds; 4 full size pillows on each bed.

Rooms:
Positives - FREE Wifi, kettle, tea bags, TV, drinking water, hair dryer, iron and ironing board.
Negatives - limited storage areas for clothes, but not a huge issue.

Bathroom:
Full size bath tub and shower fitting. Great water pressure. kitted our as you would expect it to be and I was very pleased to see that 2 of the 4 towels in the rack were decent, full size bath towels.

Dining Room:
Full bar and dining area. Breakfast (included) scrambled eggs, tomatoes, bacon, black pudding, sausages, mushrooms, hash browns, roasted baby potatoes with rock salt; cereals, fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, fruit juices, tea, coffee, etc. Could not fault the breakfast at all.

Staff:
Efficient and genuinely friendly.

I had never heard of Future Inns before this trip but on future travels I shall be looking out for them. I normally stay in hotels costing a lot more than the tariff I paid here so I had major doubts about this one. As much as I tried to I could not fault the sheer value for money on offer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed one night with hubby, me and kids 12 and 9. Stayed in room with two double beds. B&B rate didn't include kids so paid £10(total)for their breakfast. Room nice and had everything we needed for the one night tourist stop. Breakfast was excellent, all self serve (including tea, coffee and toast) and great cooked breakfast. Liked the free wifi too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, walking distance to the bay,
lush food in the hotel and very reasonably priced,
nice rooms with everything you need, iron & ironing board, hair dryer, etc
I stayed at the st David's hotel last time I went to Cardiff and would choose future inn any day over it. And a taxi into town would probably cost just £5 tops

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel on 19th April for the one night. I stayed on floor 2. The check in was quick and easy however problems started when I got into my room. There were no towels at all, I rang reception at 14:20 to request some towels and still didn't have any by 16:00, so I found my self chasing them again when I'm meant to be relaxing. The toilet had a funny smell like stale urine. Other than that the room was a very nice size with two big beds and it's in a brilliant location right by the red dragon centre. I had a shower and picked up the shower mat to find it black! Clearly the floor hadn't seen a mop in a while. I would have happily filed out the room review sheet that was left on the desk in the room but of course there was no pen in the room. When I checked out I wasn't asked did I enjoy my stay just hand over the key and your on your way.
As a consumer I'm disappointed, from other reviews it seems that I wasn't treated fairly during my stay.

• Stayed April 2014