“The worst experience I have ever had” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Future Inn Cardiff Bay

Future Inn Cardiff Bay
Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
London, United Kingdom
“The worst experience I have ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2010

I have chosen this hotel as the location and the price was quite reasonable. I wish I did not pick this hotel though. Generally before I choose a hotel I read all the reviews about the hotel I am about to book, unluckily this time I did not have time to do so, which I regret I did not.

I went there with my parents which was a part of our Wales tour . Cardiff was our second destination . When we went there the receptionists was not so gratefully polite I have to say. Even though I do not mind this attitute as the cleaning and hygiene is the first thing I am looking for in a hotel. The room was OK ,however the internet connection they provided was crap. When we decided to go to bed I have realised that the beddings were quite dirty as I came across with lots of hair which basically left behind from other customer who stayed before us. I directly went downstairs to complain and the receptionist got angry and he tried to help me by offering another room which was almost same as what we had. Apparently we asked at least for clean sheets to be provided. The guy who was dealing with us took ages to bring one sheet which was as crappy as the ones provided. I asked sheets for two beds and he only brought me one :S. Usually you need one sheet as mattress cover another as duvet cover and we had two beds hence we needed 4, he brought only 1. Thats apparently proved how they do care about my complain.
It was obvious that there was something wrong as when I complained the receptionist said as they were full the night before and they couldnt manage to clean the rooms perfectly. I am sorry but it is not an acceptable excuse. I do not accept any excuses from a hotel at all. Every single hotel has to care about hygiene and cleanliness.
After all we left the hotel at midnight as we couldnt stay in and we spent all night outside until a bus service was available to take us our next destination. After all I did complain to the duty manager and he refused to refund me saying their hotel was clean and it was our choice to leave the hotel and there was not such thing as we claimed :s I just could not understand how he could say so after I have seen all these bad experiences all other people had. Apparently there is something wrong with the housekeeping of this hotel and the managers do not care about the customer complaints at all.VERY POOR management!!!. The hotel even as overall was not clean at all. We stayed there for hours until we left and there was so many things on the floor of the hall , like a makeup cotton with blood on it. The cleaners even do not bother themselves to hoover the carpet or keep an eye on floor in case they drop things while cleaning other rooms. It was just so disgusting to see these sort of things on floor everytime you make your way to the lifts or to your room .What a hotel!!!!!
very very very bad experience....

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

The rooms are spotlessly clean and very spacious. We had a large queen sized bed and sofa bed in our room. The bed was very comfortable only niggle was the pillows were quite hard. (but that is purely our own personal niggle)
The bathroom had large well lit mirror above basin with the centre section becoming de-misted when you showered. Excellent idea as saved you from having to wipe a space in the middle to see what you were doing. Bath and shower both good. Heated towel rail is great & always a bonus as having soggy towels hanging round is never good. Plenty of fresh white fluffy towels provided.
Great idea to have bathroom door fitting both toilet and loo.To explain... Closed onto main bathroom and then if you closed it onto loo left main bathroom accessable while loo occupied.
Wardrobe space was quite annoying though as it was a small triangular shape on the end of the wall by the bed. Annoying in the way that the rail hung front to back and hanging space was small. So you had to rummage through to see what was hanging in the back. Wouldn't want to have more than 2/3 days luggage with me. One deep drawer served as other storage which as I said was fine for us as we only stayed 3 nights. Only one bedside cabinet as well so the foot stool became bedside cabinet on one side for putting glass water, watch, phone on.
TV is combined computor screen/Tv. All perfectly good and there is also a DVD player there as well.
Kettle with usuall tea/coffee etc. Hairdryer could have done with its own hook but as it was wired up through same hole as kettle had to rest on surface right next to kettle. Good facilities all round but with a bit more thought to where things were wired to would have made it perfect.
Room was quiet both at night and during day. Windows kept the noise out.
Restaurant was spacious and the food was excellent. I highly recommend the set 3 course meal they lay on. Excellent value for money and really good freashly prepared food.
Plenty of free carparking which is always a bonus when staying so close to town.
The Bay is just a 10 minute walk away and the town centre and its many, many ,many shops is a 20 minute walk away. But if you didn't want to walk there is a bus stop right opposite hotel at County Hall which runs regularly into town.
All in all to sum up we would definately stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

We had the most disgusting experience. We had booked a room for the rugby (as 2 couples) and our train got in late from London so did not check into 12 at night. When waking up the next morning and going to have a shower, there was human faeces in the shower. When calling reception to try and explain the situation we were told someone would be up shortly. We phoned again 15 minutes later and got the same response. After half an hour of waiting we had to go downstairs and ask what was happening. Apparently the message was yet to be passed on to housekeeping. They did give us another room to shower in and we went to check out. We were not looking for compensation as we thought that this must be VERY embarrasing for the hotel and wanted to just leave and get on with our day. They had checked the card reader to our room and apparently only the duty manager and cleaners had been in there. They even asked us if we had given our card to anyone else....who would we give it to at 12 o clock at night?? We did ask if the situation was resolved and the first thing the staff at reception said was there was no compensation. This was a bit weird to come out and say straight away, especially when we hadn't asked for anything but a clean bathroom to shower in. She then proceed to tell us that we should of checked the room when we checked in. It was 12 oclock at night, we had a long week at work and were keen to go straight to sleep. We did not look in the showerbath, as it isnt something that I commonly do in a hotel. So they were ulitimatlely telling us that we were in the wrong. And from the tone, that it was one of us that did it. There is no way that we would do anything quite so revolting. As one of our group works in the hotel industry, and has for number of years, we were disgusted in the way that we were treated and the way the issue was dealt with. .....won't be coming back here again and I dont think our taxi driver will be recommending it locally either! There are plenty of good hotels in the town, choose wisely.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joseph032
P.Lago, Group Operations Manager at Future Inn Cardiff Bay, responded to this review, 29 November 2010
Future Inns wish to point out that the only people who had acess to this room after it had been cleaned and checked were the guests who stayed in the room-we have documentary evidence to support that.The guests did arrive late at night and it would be difficult to use the bathroom for any purpose without noticing the items in the bath-anybody who has stayed at the hotel is well aware of our bathroom configuration-no accusations were made by the staff quite the contrary and we arranged another room for the guests to shower in while the housekeeping staff had the distasteful job of cleaning the bathroom.The guests insisted that they had not given their key to anybody else and the room had been checked and cleaned the key reader proves that-it is hard not to feel that Future Inns are being made the scapegoat for something/behaviours they are not responsible for.
BATH. SOMERSET
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

Could not fault The Future Inn @ Cardiff Bay
Wonderful polite accomodating Staff, Large Comfortable Spotlessly Clean rooms.
Bar- Lounge comfortable & welcoming excellent breakfast buffet............
15 min walk to bars & cafe's on the Bay
Would stay again if I was in Cardiff......

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

I chose this hotel as it was close (walking distance) to the Cardiff Bay sights. My partner and I stayed here for two nights.

On arrival we were greeted and checked in straight away.

The room was exactly as pictured on the Future Inn website. It was nicely decorated, had a good bed and a comfy sofa.

The view from the window wasn't great, it was of a roundabout and a factory. However we didn't travel to Wales to stare out of the window all the time, so to us it didn't matter.

The en-suite bathroom was nice too. Spacious with a bath/shower, large mirror and the toilet in an alcove.

The food in the hotel's "Thomas" restaurant was delicious. I particularly enjoyed the Cajun Salmon with Leek.

The breakfast was filling, lots of choice here.

I would say the hotel is good value and would consider staying there again.

• Stayed September 2010
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

We booked a night at Future Inn Cardiff to be near the Millennium Centre (which is only 10 minutes walk away, so very convenient). The room was large with two double beds and generally well equipped with tea/coffee making facilities, complimenmtary water and biscuits and internet through the TV.
The only downside was a bath mat bearing a footprint and hair from a previous guest and the chipped drinking glass in the bathroom.
More of a concern was breakfast. Although the range was good it was all generally rather tasteless uninspiring. Many guests expressed annoyance that there was no butter - only a rather tasteless sunflower spread on offer. Many of the bowls for cereal were also chipped.
The restaurant was also very busy to the extant that, by 9.15am on Sunday, there was a queue of about 40 people waiting to be seated.
Overall, this is a good budget choice if you are going to something at the Millennium Centre but some aspects of housekeeping could be improved.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Ilminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

We have found a comfortable reasonably priced hotel walking distance to the Millennium Theatre and several good restaurants, and only a short ride from the City centre.

Two minor niggles, The door key failed on a couple of occasions, but the staff responded very quickly to rectify the situation.

The traffic noise from the street, might have disturbed some guests, rooms at the back of the hotel would be quieter.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple