“Walk-thru Visit”
Review of Cathays Cemetery

Cathays Cemetery
Ranked #75 of 167 things to do in Cardiff
Reviewed 26 April 2013

While this is a large cemetery, the site dates from the mid 1800's. If you are looking for older sites with unique graves, this won't be it. Cathays is still in use so as you wander it's a mix of old and young generations. This is a preservation work in progress and as you wander the older areas, it's less manicured and tends to the wild. This is what makes it interesting. I liked the contrast and even in the areas where statues had fallen, tree limbs were down, that was where the older burial sites seemed to be. I did notice that a lot of the people buried up to the early 1900's had lived quite long, 77 - 90 years.

I walked from Central Cardiff. It was an easy walk if you are in shape. I think it took me 30 minutes and I stopped and looked at stuff. Moderate uphill climb going there.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

It's a cemetary. However, the church buildings are really pretty. There are some interesting gravesites that have some very cool Cardiff history stories. I wish there was more of a trail to take you around these historic graves and give you information about them.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Typical Victorian cemetary in the Gothic style atmospheric, incidentally my paternal grandparents are buried there

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I used to think that visiting a cemetery was a little too macabre for my tastes, until I visited Cathays Cemetery that is. The gorgeous landscaping, quiet atmosphere, beautiful monuments make for a peaceful retreat from the city.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

Weather was bad. Looking for an Ancestral grave. Map good but plot could not be identified not marked on the ground. Found what we were looking for but with more good luck than anything.