“Clean room.scary staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Nomad

Nomad
“Clean room.scary staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I thought it was a good room and had clean bedding. And was what I expected from a hostel but one staff member was a bit strange and the other was the scary breakfast man. Had good facilties tho. Hot shower but would not stay again as too noisy and could get better for your money

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Rachael T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Served its purpose :) cheap place to stay in walking distance from the centre. £18 per bed for a private room for 6 consisting of 3 bunk beds. Room was fine; mattresses comfortable enough, although a little cold as the quilts provided were really thin. Would have liked a mirror rather than having to use the one in the bathroom but all rooms seem close to a bathroom anyway. Security guard seemed a little.. initimidating. Glad I wasn't by myself when we returned quite late to him at the reception door. Would use again - good value :)

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here a few times before moving to Cardiff and whenever I was moving flats. I notice a rather steep increase in the dorm prices the last time I was there, but overall can't find anything negative to say about the place. I liked the central location and the fact that it's away from the main road, so no traffic noise or drunkards making a rattle in the wee hours of the morning. There are 3 bathrooms if I remember correctly, all of them spacious and pretty clean. Kitchen area is kept clean too. Some people dislike the fact that the bar serves no alcoholic drinks, but that's a positive point in my opinion. Would not want to be here on a rugby weekend though! My relatives came to visit once and they also stayed here in one of their private rooms. They found nothing to complain about and they're older folks.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed for 5 nights over New Years, very pleased. Provided breakfast wasn't much, but I'm not much of a breakfast person, so I didn't mind. Can't eat or drink in your rooms, but they provide plenty of fridge and cupboard space and labels for your stuff. The TV + Internet room is lovely, 3 comfy couches and several extension cords. There were usually only 3 of us in there, though, so it was quite nice. There are a few selections of DVDs, books and a set of chess, and we didn't use the TV much (only to watch Sherlock) but there seems to be a nice selection of channels. Short walk to Queen Street, not far from Cardiff Castle. The staff are pretty flexible and very friendly, and there is a large stand of pamphlets for whatever you may wish to do in Cardiff. (I recommend going to the Bay, Mermaid Quay. There's a burger shop that's got an excellent veggie burger called Billy the Kid.)
Seems like a sketchy area at first glance, but only because there's a small alley near by. (As a city girl, alleys are usually a no-go with me.) I felt perfectly safe as a 19 year old girl. Bring flipflops for the showers+toilets (mostly in the same room) because the floor is almost always very wet. The only cons for me was that the kitchen was smelly (mostly just from people cooking their own food, the smell of cooking sausage is really awful to me) and that groups of people going down the stairs can be pretty loud. Otherwise, very excellent hostel, would gladly stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Let me just say that for £27.50 each we didn't expect much, especially as it was a rugby weekend, but wow! My first & final shared dorm room experience was just that, an experience. The guys who were already in the room clearly hadn't showered which I guess isn't Nomads fault, but the stench of BO was horrific! People kept running up & down the corridoor & the security didnt stop them. The bathrooms were another low point for this place, the shower had a blocked drain which meant the water backed up & then overflowed onto the bathroom floor.

The free breakfast was actually really good until I discovered mould on my toast & the milk ran out. You do have to do your dishes which is fine, but you will need to wash some things before use!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MFC31

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a group of 8 lads away for the weekend sharing 2 quad rooms (2 bunk beds in each). This place is extremely clean for a hostel and the staff take great pride in keeping it that way. A whole mix of young and old stay here - all nationalities - and its a good atmosphere. I like the way that the hostel bedrooms are partitioned into parts. We stayed in our own little wing (rooms 13 and 14 I think) and it felt private as no one was walking past.

The breakfast wasn't worth getting up for - cheap cereals and cheap bread, but there's a nice café on the corner as you walk into town that does a fab breakfast - or theres always Wetherspoons.

Its about a 10 minute walk into town - not bad at all - same to Cardiff Queen St station.

Cardiff isn't a cheap place to stay, so for budget accommodation (it cost us £18 per night) I would recommend the Nomad hostel.

• Stayed September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

So don't get me wrong, I LOVED Nomad. I loved cardiff and most of the staff. The security guy though, he ruined my stay. He openly mocked something about me and bragged about himself. How they haven't fired this guy yet is beyond me, I mean, he's all over this site as the #1 reason to NOT go to Nomad.

The rest of this place was excellent, there was a bar that served drinks till late, and even a free breakfast.

If they got rid of that guy i'd come again.

Room Tip: The lower floors are the quietest, go for them!