“Good city centre base”

Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre
Ranked #29 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 September 2012

One nights stay here whilst taking our daughter to university. It cost £3 to park in hotel grounds which was fine. Staff were friendly and had good security at night. Room was basic but clean, fresh and modern and was adequate for our needs. Hotel was just on the outside of town, just a 10 min walk and we were in the centre full of shops, restaurants and bars. Would definitely stay here on our next visit.

Room Tip: We had top floor overlooking car park, other side of hotel overlooked main road which may have been...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
EtapCardiff, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to welcome you back at Ibis Budget Cardiff

Kindest Regards

Michael Schmidt

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed in the Ibis Budget Hotel on Friday 21st September and were a little disappointed. The location was great, only around a 5 minute walk to the busier centre of Cardiff, and the cleanliness of the room was fine. We were provided with a towel each and a small bar of soap to share, no problem as we don't want to encourage waste. There were no in-room tea or coffee making facilities, no where really to put our hand luggage size bags.

As we were on the 4th floor we couldn't open a window more than a very few inches as it had a safety wire, again, no probs as this is sensible. So, in all, budget, and certainly no frills.

My issue is with the size of the rooms. The toilet was smaller than any commercial jet would have, and when the door was closed it was pretty much in your face. The room barely had enough space to walk around the bed, and I felt claustrophobic when two of us were stood at the same time.

I became anxious and found it hard to sleep so I stood at the window which wouldn't open, kind of making me feel worse. It was almost worth standing in the toilet for a few moments just to turn back into the room but it really felt so small that the walls were almost hard to focus on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not normally so bad, but this could cause a serious problem for anyone with a worse fear of being closed in. We asked if all the rooms were the same and were told they are. There's nothing wrong with them, and they're a great concept, and when rooms are in such demand I'd expect any hotel chain to maximise all they can from their customers but this is just leaning towards exploiting room demand unfairly.

The breakfast was a help yourself buffet of toast and croissants and was fine for the price. The hotel was fair and very functional. I thought that if we had a day in Cardiff and we came back to it I'd be OK, but if we cancelled the second booked day before 2pm we wouldn't have to pay for it. We called around and found there were no other rooms available anywhere but in Newport, 20 minutes away, so we checked out. I'd rather stay out of the city than risk another anxious and sleepless night in such a small room.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

The team and I are glad that you managed to express some very important points for us to improve, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them. I am really sorry that the size of the room made you feel uncomfortable but unfortunately with our product being economical we will not be able to change the structure of the building. The rooms are designed for the short term stays and we believe that the size is perfectly acceptable for that purpose.

Kindest Regards

Michael Schmidt

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 19 September 2012

The down stairs toilet was really dirty. There was no soap and the lock wasn't working properly. We had to use this one as our room wasn't ready. Our room however was very clean. The location was great just a short walk to the centre. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
EtapCardiff, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you managed to express some very important points for us to improve, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them. I rememder that you reported to me the issue with the public toilet, which have been resolved promptly. Many thanks for other positive comments

We are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 September 2012

With rooms priced from £25pn you obviously don't expect the swankiest hotel in the world, however what you do get is a decent hotel; certainly more than I was expecting, in a great location for exploring Cardiff town centre and Cardiff Bay.

The hotel itself is clean and in good condition. The rooms are small, and aren't luxurious at all:- no carpet (personally, I prefer this to grubby carpet), tiny toilet, sink in the bedroom rather than a separate bathroom; however in reality none of this matters if you simply want a base to sleep and don't actually spend any time there. Overall, it feels like a college kids bedroom rather than a mature hotel room.

The check-in staff were polite. The car park was good value (£3 until midday the following day), although disappointing they wanted to charge me a further £3 for the 15 minutes or so after midday that it took for me to get down from the room and checkout.

The room has everything you'd expect (and more). Decent lighting, air conditioning (not just cool air, but there's an actual air conditioner), blackout blind, TV (with audio input for connecting an MP3 player). The shower was fantastic, very powerful and warm.

Unfortunately our nights stay wasn't quite as good as I was expecting and this tarnished the overall experience.

The mattress is a piece of foam rather than a mattress. It wasn't that bad to be fair, but I will be glad to get back into a proper bed.

The air conditioning wouldn't work from when we got back in the evening until just before checkout time at around midday! This was extremely annoying as the night was very hot and there's a sign on the window advising you not to have the window open for very long to prevent insects entering due to the hotel's proximity to the water. Not sure whether this was just a problem with our air con unit or whether this is some silly hotel policy.

At 9am we were awoken by some very loud talking. I have to presume it was the maid as it was right outside our room and sounded as though she was talking to someone down the corridor. A bit of common sense and common courtesy wouldn't have gone amiss here.

We were also disturbed whilst sleeping by housekeeping twice. I find this unacceptable. I note another reviewer has mentioned this and the hotel suggested using the 'do not disturb' sign. However, when I have checked in for 1 night only I don't expect to be disturbed before checkout time. If I'd been staying a few nights then I could understand housekeeping wanting to come in to make up the room, and indeed in other hotels I do use the DnD sign when staying more than one night).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for leaving your valuable comment about the housekepping practise that has been already discussed with head housekepper with a reasonable action plan. Regarding the £3.00 extra charge for 15mn is maybe come from a misunderstanding as normally this shouln't happened. Please accept my apologises for this. We are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 September 2012

It's only a stroll from the centre of Cardiff, and only 10min from Cardiff Bay. Good location, clean rooms that have everything you'd need.

There are enough great places to eat in Cardiff, so actually it was easy to opt out of their breakfast. £3 for parking per day was also a good deal.

Friendly staff, all good. Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank backpackgypsy

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for leaving your valuable comments . We are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Cardiff.