“Amazing value for short stay”

Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre
Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing value for short stay”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I booked this hotel for just one night for my daughter and I to attend the Open Day at Cardiff University. £29 for a triple room seemed very cheap in comparison to other local hotels so I was a bit wary. However, it turned out to be a very good choice for us. Arriving at 9.30pm the hotel was busy and the staff on the reception desk were friendly, efficient and helpful. We bought snacks from the fridge which were fine and there was an OK choice considering it was so late. They weren't over-priced; my daughter's meal deal for £3.95 consisted of a sandwich, a can of drink, a chocolate bar and a piece of fruit.

Our room was clean and modern. There was a bunk bed running at 90degrees over my double bed (I will upload photo) so there was a separate bed for each of us. The matresses were on the thin side but we slept well. The small shower and loo were fine and clean. TV worked well and had a good selection of channels. The room was rather hot so I opened the window rather than put on the fan. This proved to be quite noisy in the morning as the 2nd floor room overlooked a car park in which a lorry was moving around.

We booked the breakfast buffet at a cost of £4.25 per person: cereal, croissants, chocolate croissants, toast, crumpets, yoghurt, tinned satsumas, fresh apples, cheese packets, jam/marmalade etc, orange juice, coffee (from a machine but cappuccinos, mochas etc) & tea. Plenty of food to start the day (unless you're a coeliac).

Our only niggle would be that the bunk bed hadn't been made up - though all the bedding had been provided. It was pretty tricky to do - well, we're not used to bunk beds. I guess as the booking said 2 adults they perhaps thought we would be using the double and not the bunk - so it would be good if that could have been ironed out in the booking process.

The modern hotel is about 15 mins walk from Cardiff Castle through the town centre. At the moment (April 2013) the front looks out onto a desolate wasteland which is about to be built on - flats it would seem so before long it will be in a quite different area. There was a car park behind but I believe it was one you had to pay for (we came on public transport). There is Wifi but it costs extra (£1 for 1 hour I think).

I probably wouldn't use this hotel for a holiday, but for a brief work-type visit it was ideal.

Room Tip: I expect they are all pretty similar: facing front looks out onto a fairly busy road. The back is p...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
IbisbudgetCardiff, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts and your photos on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit and thanks again for your very positive comments, my team enjoyed to hear them. We all are looking forward to welcome you at the Ibis Budget Cardiff again…

Best regards

G.Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newbury, UK
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I telephoned the hotel to request a wheelchair accessible room, as I have done successfully on several previous occasions. Despite turning up in my wheelchair I was given a 'normal' room that I really struggled to get into and could barely move about in.
I could not get into the toilet so had to go down the corridor to use the public toilets (which were filthy).
I could not get into the shower so I had to go without.
The (French?) staff just shrugged at me. The hotel was full due to an event at the arena so there was nothing I could do.
Not happy

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter. Feel free to call me or email me to discuss this further.

G.Manager

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I wanted to keep my costs to a minimum and chose Ibis budget for a 2-3 nights stay twice during a short client engagement in Cardiff. I used to travel weekly from London, drop my bags at the hotel, come back in the evening and check-in. Given that I was alone, I found the room size adequate. Given that I booked well in advance, I got a very good price [around 18-21 GBP]. The hotel was walkable from my client's office, as well as from the city centre [everything in Cardiff is :)]. The breakfast was alright. They charge a refundable deposit for hair dryer and ironing board. My only issue was with the latter. It does not have a stand, and as a result ironing your clothes is a tricky affair. Overall, for the price I paid, it was defnitely worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit and we are looking forward to welcome you at the Ibis Budget Cardiff again…

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The first thing that strikes you as you walk into this hotel is the unfriendly, blunt staff....and it all goes down hill from there. The rooms ARE clean, however, after being told we were in a family room, we were provided with a room with 2 single beds. Family room? I think not. Not only that, I had been charged EXTRA as it was a "family room". The beds are the most uncomfortable, hard beds I have ever slept on, I believe I would have been more comfortable on concrete - no softness to the mattress whatsoever! No coffee or tea making facilities in the room, no hairdryer - nothing. On returning to my room on the second day, the cleaners had also stupidly left our room door wide open with all our possesions in there - not good enough Ibis! Budget is not how this hotel should be described - premier inn, travelodge are budget hotels and they are cheaper and offer much more comfort. The way I would describe this hotel is hell. Almost ruined my romantci weekend away with my boyfriend. Please, please, think twice before booking this hotel. I will never, ever use Ibis again.

Room Tip: Choose elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry we have failed to live up to your expectations. We are a budget hotel that offers modestly designed and clean rooms at competitive price. Our offer price is very competitve for an hotel located in the city centre of Cardiff. I am sincerely disappointed if you prefer to stay in a prison...
We are looking forward to wecome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Cardiff if you change your mind.

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Hotel is walking-distance to the center, very clean and functional. Neighborhood is pretty calm

Smaller issues I had, was the room window that didn't close properly (so there was some cold air getting constantly), but no noise. The parking facilities are pretty small, so they were full when I got there (it would have cost 4€). They do have more places close-by at 8€ though.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit and thanks again for your very positive comments, my team enjoyed to hear them. Regarding the issue with the window, this has been rectified. We all are looking forward to welcome you at the Ibis Budget Cardiff again…
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

its very budget hotel as it says, can't complain...location was excellent, we had good night sleep....but my room has not phone very small but clean and tidy... bed was good...overall its ok to stay.... staff was good...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank sandy999999999
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit and thanks again for your very positive comments, my team enjoyed to hear them. We all are looking forward to welcome you at the Ibis Budget Cardiff again…
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel as it is Clean, Cheap & convenient to walk into Cardiff City Cente. The bedrooms are small but adequate and Very Clean which is a big bonus in a city centre! Good value for money, if the price & quality stay the same we will Definitely be back soon!

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit and thanks again for your very positive comments, my team enjoyed to hear them. We all are looking forward to welcome you soon at the Ibis Budget Cardiff again…