“Good, affordable stay”

Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre
Ranked #30 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Purpose. One night stay transferring from another place of stay before travelling home.

Length. One night

Price. I thought it was reasonable given how late I booked the room

Communication. Very good. Any questions I asked by email were answered efficiently. When I did have to call - I eventually spoke to a Manager who was very helpful. I had no problems with accents - it's a global world.

Issues. Had only one. It was an IT (information technology) error. It was dealt with efficiently, politely and professionally by the Manager - Fabrice Ledentu

Payment. Easily done online. You may be transported to Accor website - nothing alarming there. Wait a while to make sure it has not been cancelled by the IT system.

Location. Easy to find. Safe neighbourhood

Parking. This was a bit difficult to navigate. If taking a cab - well no problem, they will know exactly where to go. If driving you might go around trying to find where it is - call/email and get details. I believe it is paid parking.

Check-in. Done very quickly and professionally by Front Desk Staff (Chris). Again, no issues with accents. So if you have travelled far - no long waiting.

Bonus. (1) Depending on the room you booked, read your things carefully people - you may be entitled to free breakfast (otherwise you pay) - I did not qualify/stay for this so I can not say anything about the quality/quantity. Breakfast are between clearly defined times which vary according to weekdays and weekends. (2) There is a phone in the lobby that allows free calls to get e.g. a cab.

Wifi. There is free wifi - BUT - it is free for 24 hours. Plan your use. You can pay more for premium wifi. The free wifi worked well and I had no problems.

Lifts. Elevators to take to your floor - only guests with hotel pass can use the elevator. Safe.

Rooms. (What we all want to know) OK. Let's talk about what's not there. There are no rags, no cute bottles of shampoo etc, no phones, no ipod docking stations, no set up for tea, no ironing boards or irons and no safe. Having said all that, please remember this is a BUDGET hotel. I did NOT have a problem with any of these not being present. You can request some stuff at reception though - I imagine there might be a cost involved. Not having these saved money on the room - so no complaints here.

Beds were comfortable and linen clean. Towels were clean. Rooms were well lit with bed having an overhead lighting system (Don't have to stub toe in middle of night getting to a switch) that let you choose how you want the room lit. Shower was very clean with raised design on floor (prevent a slip and slide). You can request a bath mat downstairs - you will have to go for it cause remember there is no phone. The shower door is frosted glass - you will see a blurred vision of someone but if it bothers you - throw a towel over the door. Toilet is in a separate 'closet'. Also very clean. Sink comes with two cups - very clean.

Heater worked. Study area was compact and sturdy. TV present. Doors were solid and sturdy.

My room could sleep three - bunk bed upstairs. I found it a bit difficult to climb up. For those so concerned, they support energy-saving methods.

Safety. Emergency exits, fire extinguishers clearly marked. Emergency info clearly printed in obvious locations.

Check-out. Done very quickly. Staff could have been a bit more pleasant.

Now, I only stayed a single night so I can't say that issues would not have shown themselves. I suggest this place for budget travellers, business travellers, family - short stay, hen/stag night parties, concert attendants, solo travellers. IF you are on a budget honeymoon and fancy is not your thing - I guess this can work too.

I can say that I was extremely happy about the room and service received, and would stay here again, recommend it to friends, and will book earlier for future trips.

Room Tip: Rooms at end of hall, away from elevators, mean less passing noise from other guests.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
IbisbudgetCardiff, Front Office Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us.
I'm glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us, and glad to read a in depth review about the hotel.
In case you do stay with us again, or any of the IBIS Budget Hotels here's some useful information for yourself;
Wi-Fi can be used for free more than 24 hours, you just need to sign in every 24 hours to make sure it is only guests using the Wi-Fi.
Electrical items (Irons, hairdryers etc) can be rented from reception, we just need to take a £10 deposit, which is returned when the item is.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We were looking for a base to explore Cardiff, and this was well placed to do just that. 10 mins walk to the city centre and 20 mins to the bay. A basic hotel, compact rooms, but clean and with polite helpful staff. Being a budget hotel it attracts the stag and hen weekenders which meant an uninterrupted night sleep wasn't possible. Didn't bother with the breakfast as the eating area was right by the front doors. Parking spaces can be a gamble, so get there early and don't take the car out unless you have to. The rate was good for the length of our booking.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
IbisbudgetCardiff, Front Office Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back to the IBIS Budget Cardiff.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IbisbudgetCardiff, Front Office Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Reviewed 6 September 2013

highly recommend this hotel...excellent value for money..staff very polite and helpful...spotlessly clean central location. Very quiet..no road noise. Within walking distance of train station and shopping quarters

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
IbisbudgetCardiff, Front Office Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to Cardiff, we look forward to welcoming you again to the IBIS Budget Cardiff.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I and my husband had booked IBIS budget hotel and spent a couple of nights in Wales in June 2013. The hotel was booked in advance and was available at a very reasonable rate. The night staff was not able to explain the hotel payment rules to us as their English was quite poor. Overall impression of the hotel room was that it was small but clean. It took us some time before we could find the tiny bathroom. The beds were comfortable but overall the experience was worth the price we paid. Hotel is suitable for budget travelers and not for luxury purpose.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
IbisbudgetCardiff, Front Office Manager at Hotel ibis budget Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us,
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yours stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the IBIS Budget Hotel Cardiff.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, it is a close location to the city centre and to the bay, both are within a 15 minutes walk.
My husband tried to surprise me with having flowers in the room for when we arrived, but they were very unhelpful when he rang up & said they were to busy to take them up on a Friday (he did give them notice by ringing 4 days earlier) but they could have some in the reception. ( when we got there it was busy but seemed to have a spare member of staff standing in the background)

We didnt choose the breakfast option (wasn't actually given the option) so we opted for a cooked breakfast in a local whetherspoons in the centre.

We were on the 4th floor and overlooked the car park so was very quiet.

This is ideal for a base which we used it for, recommend get there early if you are driving the spaces get full by late afternoon, then the hotel let the people park out of bays and block other cars in, Once we parked we didnt touch the car till we left 2 days later, which was a good job.

We will stay here again if we visit and cant find a cheaper hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us,
I'd glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and do apologise for the inconvenience of not being able to arrange flowers delivered do your room. We do not allocate room numbers in till the guest arrives at the hotel, meaning we can’t arrange any luggage, flowers etc to be delivered to the rooms.