“Very nice hotel. Completely happy!”
Review of Tanes Hotel

Tanes Hotel
Ranked #35 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I stayed at the Tanes with a few friends recently as part of a trip to see Take That in concert. We had thought of trying a chain hotel but I fancied staying somewhere with a little bit of character instead so we give this hotel a go and I am really glad we did!!!

The owner was very friendly and the rooms were nice and clean. We stayed in room two which looks like it is brand new. There was free parking and free wifi and it was really close to the city centre.

We didn't book breakfast with our stay but the manager gave it to us free in the morning regardless, which was a real bonus. What a lovely man.

When I am next in Cardiff I will definitely be staying here again and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for room 2!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank roseheath

Reviewed 14 March 2011

Stayed with some friends recently when we attended a rugby match. The hotel was your basic three star hotel, clean with friendly staff. I know that all hotels greatly inflate their prices when an event is taking place at the Millenium Stadium. If you were to ask if Taines Hotel is value for money I would say definately not.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2011

I am in Cardiff with work fairly regularly and have stayed in a number of establishments, both chain and smaller. I chose the hotel because I prefer independent, smaller places (which are hopefully a bit more personal and friendly) - I was not disappointed. Tanes is superb - I had a very warm welcome- great choice of rooms at different prices - I chose to stay in the double en suite which was excellent - spotlessly clean, lovely bathroom, comfy bed, overall look was modern and clean.

Breakfast was excellent - great choice and freshly cooked. Fantastic!

Love the free car parking and wifi.

I will definitely come back and use on a regular basis. Recommended!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jonesy195
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We have a daughter at uni and have been coming back to Tanes for the last year or so. We have always been made verywelcome and are always pleased to come back. The family is super friendly and extremely helpful, with nothing too much trouble. We have noticed that the hotel is being renovated and have stayed in one of the ‘new’ rooms which was superb - lovely décor, comfly bed, LCD TV.

We love the guest’s lounge with the bookcases and the original fixtures and fittings. Breakfast is always top notch - a proper fresh cooked breakfast, and cereal and fresh fruit as well.

They have free car parking (which makes a change from the big chain hotels) and are reasonably close to the centre - 5 mins in the car. All in all, we love the place and are made to feel welcome and at home.

Really excellent stay, will use frequently.

1  Thank funnyface986
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Stayed with a few friends for the recent rugby weekend. We had rung around and found it difficult to get reasonably priced rooms for this weekend ( we knew it would be more expensive). I have read some of the other reviews and had to respond positively. Tane’s was the best priced and was good value. We were all extremely pleased with it (our first visit to the hotel). From the minute we came in we were warmly greeted by the polite and friendly host who already knew our names. The rooms were spotlessly clean, comfortable and well decorated with up to date facilities. We all had a really comfortable night’s sleep.

We wanted to have breakfast, which was excellent – freshly cooked and delicious.

Overall, a fantastic stay - would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Billybob92
Taneshotel, Manager at Tanes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2011

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review!

We are all extremely pleased that you to took the time to post such appreciative comments and are absolutely thrilled that you gave us such high marks for your stay!

We are so pleased that you found us pleasant, comfortable, clean and good value for money and we are happy that you enjoyed our home cooked breakfast - we would love to have you back!

Kindest regards

Reviewed 15 February 2011

The hotel was clean but very dated. The tap in the bathroom was falling off and there was no toilet roll holder, or complementary toiletries. We did not get a wink of sleep as the windows were single glazed and the noise of the traffic was horrendous and the only heater was a portable electric heater.. The breakfast was disgusting but the service was quick. We paid £266 for 2 nights but only stayed 1 as we could not stand another sleepless night. The price was double because of the rugby. We would never recommend to anyone.

2  Thank cantwalkerwheeler
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Stayed the night, they charged double for the rugby and extra for breakfast. I wrote this on my comments and the owner rang me back and argued with me over my comments. How disgusting is that. I am the customer and entitled to my comments. I did book the hotel they took the money right away. What company rings you back and complains about your comments. Never stay in this hotel,

2  Thank deeppurple1509
Taneshotel, Manager at Tanes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2011

Thank you for taking the time to put your views online.

We did contact the customer by the only means available as the views she expressed on another website (which we are not allowed to name here) do not allow management feedback. We merely wanted to understand her grievance; unfortunately, she was not interested in hearing our point of view.

The customer selected a non-refundable room which is charged on the day of booking on a third-party booking website (at a cheaper, preferential rate) for a Premier weekend where availability was at a premium. In line with all other accommodation providers, we do increase our room prices on Premier weekends - we think we provide a fair price compared to other hotels that increase by 3-400%, in any case, the customer can choose one from the other.

Similarly, we have always charged breakfast as an optional choice; the customer can then choose if they wish this to be included for their stay.

The customers other comments did all positively reflect how comfortable, clean, well located and well staffed she thought we were.

We are sorry if the customer was upset at being contacted; we do consider all comments made in our endeavour to improve and maintain our standards of quality, comfort and value – our review scores overall on third-party websites is 8 out of 10 overall and on our own website is currently 4.2 out of 5 overall customer satisfaction.