“Lovely room”

Tanes Hotel
Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“Lovely room”
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in June for a couple of nights as working in Cardiff. Hotel very clean as wee the rooms. The hotel was also nicely furnished. One slight problem on the first night was my tele didn't work (and it was one of Andy Murray's games at Wimbledon). The owner tried to sort out and when he couldn't upgraded me so saw the game. Very pleased with service and price represented good value. If you want to park in the car park you'll need to get there early though. All in all very pleasant stay and would recommend. Best hotel I stayed in during the summer and I stayed at a few.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed 2 nights, Saturday and Sunday as I was doing the Cardiff and Coast 60 mile bike ride. It's a well located Hotel, close to the centre and near to City Road and Albany Road with their wide choice of Restaurants with cuisines from around the world.
Properly secure parking was an added bonus too, especially with my bike on the top of the car. I'd locked it to the roofrack but the steel shutter covering the car park entrance made for peace of mind.
The Hotel is excellent value. It is decorated to a good standard and kept spotlessly clean. Staff are friendly and the whole place has a much better atmosphere than a big chain. I had a room with shared facilities, these were close by and clean. The toiletries and spa slippers in the room were a nice touch too.
The hotel front is on Newport Road, which is fairly busy. I live in the countryside so I'm not used to traffic noise, my room was right on the front so I did notice it. It wasn't anything a pair of earplugs couldn't sort out though! I'd recommend packing a pair if you're likely to be affected by road noise.
All in all a pleasant stay and fantastic value. I'd defintely go back and recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Had a 3 night stay at Tanes last week (Aug 2013), very busy road but once window is shut at night the noise is not a problem. The hotel is clean and staff and manager friendly, breakfast good value and room has everything you need - no fridge but staff kindly put my beverages in hotel fridge! (thanks!
A 20 min or so walk into Cardiff central but buses handy and walk is pleasant. Queens Road train station is the closest. Cardiff Central a good 40 min walk away.
I cancelled a night as got invited to stay with a family friend but manager was kind enough not to charge me any late cancellation fees.
Lots of hotels on Newport Road but I would recommend Tanes - good value.
Thanks staff and management.

Room Tip: if noise is a problem I suggest asking for a room at the back of the hotel - although once windows s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LorettaG55
Swindon
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Found this hotel affordable, well maintained and clean. Though I had booked a single room, was given a double at no extra cost. The owner was polite, pleasant, and hospitable. The breakfast was served promptly at 7 AM and was good value. As a woman travelling on her own, I had a comfortable and safe stay. I had left my ipad charger in my room when I left and the owner very kindly mailed it to me without any charge. Will definitely stay here again and will recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shalini123345
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We were lucky to find this place in the last minute. It is one of the cosiest hotels I have ever stayed in - very traditional, with modern hints in the rooms. It was extremely clean and tidy and the hosts were kind and welcoming. Very close to city centre so convenience is another asset. Amazing value for money, highly recommend it.

2 Thank TripSKo
Taneshotel, Manager at Tanes Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review!

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. We are all absolutely thrilled that you have given us such high marks in all categories and that you particularly highlighted our cleanliness and welcome.

We would love have you back.

Kindest regards
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We were a bit shocked when we first arrived at this hotel as the entrance was from the back of the hotel through the car park at the back. Luckily, we had been advised that it was a bus lane in front of the hotel and we would have sustained a fine for parking at the front.

Initially, we were greeted by the owner, Tony, who asked us to sign the visitors book. We loved the fact that he trusted us enough not to take our credit card immediately. He gave us a single old-fashioned key to room 16 and then helped us with our bags upstairs.

The rooms were spacious, clean and modern for such an old residence. I had to ask for a hair dryer but that was no problem. My husband and I both commented that this hotel provided the best sleep of all hotels we had stayed in the six hotels we had stayed so far on our trip. I am not sure whether it was the block-out curtains or the hard beds but we were very grateful.

It was lovely to see Tony, the owner, making breakfast himself. He was a fascinating man - a philosopher who had a Master's degree in that field and, also, a qualified engineer. He told us that he enjoyed running the hotel and meeting people the best of all his career choices.

We were lucky to have a quiet room at the back of the hotel as it was on a busy street but the value for such comfort was excellent. We would stay her again.

Room Tip: room 16 or a room at the back of the hotel.
1 Thank Maree5821
Taneshotel, Manager at Tanes Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,

It was a pleasure to meet you and have such interesting conversations with you both!

We hope that the rest of your European tour went well and that you were comfortable and entertained throughout.

I would like to personally thank you for your wonderful and detailed review.

We do try our best to make all our guests feel wanted, comfortable and safe. We differ from many chain hotels, particularly in the city centre (we are ½ mile from the centre), in that we value your peace and quiet and are personally on hand to help and advise you.

We are thrilled that you comment so favourably on our cleanliness, friendliness and comfort.

We would be delighted to have you stay with us again.

Our kindest regards
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel is very clean & comfortable you get a lovely welcome on we arrived.Both Mrs & Mrs Tanes were a pleasant couple to have a chat to they even booked a taxi for us.We would definitely stay there again.I have given sleep Quality full marks although I had a bad nights sleep ( me @ fault not the hotel).