“Refreshing rest - clean, comfortable, reasonable”
Review of Tanes Hotel

Tanes Hotel
Ranked #35 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 27 June 2014

It is a family owned business and the pride in what they have built shows in everything they do. As so many of the reviews have indicated, this is a lovely stop in Cardiff. It is comfortable; rooms are updated and our top of the building ensuite was a bit of a climb, but worth it. It sparkled, it was so clean! The road noise was a bit distracting for us, but the bed was so comfy, I fell to sleep easily. Breakfast was lovingly prepared by the sweetest woman. Cardiff QUEEN St rail station is close, but coming from London, we got into Cardiff Central and it was a bit farther than I expected. However, to get to the center of town is a 15 min easy walk. Taxis run about 3 pounds and the bus is 1.80 one way, so 2 of us used the taxi if we tired of walking. I would definitely stay here again if I were to ever be in Cardiff again.

Room Tip: Rm 24 is ensuite double bed, but at the top of the building, so plan to tote luggage up many steps...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Qdancer

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Comfortable beds, convenient bus stop to city center, and Tony the manager was very helpful in amending my reservation! Also, walking distance from pubs and grocery. Safe car park in back. I recommend this property!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Liz O
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Really nice comfortable hotel. Reasonable price. Breakfast is extra if you want it. A one night stay while I was there for a conference. I was helped to find somewhere to eat and even offered a takeaway menu. The décor and general condition of the hotel was high. Enjoyed the stay and had a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I needed a single room for one night before my daughter arrived and we started our holiday. This was a lovely old house, I was right at the top of the house but thankfully I didn't have to carry my own case all that way. Breakfast was a bargain so I took advantage, and it was very enjoyable.

Nice comfy room, lovely and clean, and friendly host, in the morning I asked him to call me a taxi. "You're a taxi." he says... oh how we laughed!! :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have been using Tanes for around 15 years when I go to visit my sister in Cardiff. The service is consistently good. The rooms are simple, clean and in good condition, the lounge is always well-tended and breakfast is always right on the button. They have expanded over the years, which in itself is a testament to the excellent service they provide. It's called a hotel but it's more like a bed and breakfast, in that you feel that you're staying in the spare room in Mrs. Tanes' house. She just has lots of spare rooms! As far as I'm concerned, I will always use Tanes when I go to Cardiff, and would recommend it to anyone who is visiting that side of town.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the rear of the house will be quieter as Tanes is on Newport Road, a busy thoroughfare...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Affordable price, nice interior and rather spacious room
I especially like the window view from my room 20
Every floor has a shared bathroom so it's not a problem of using that
Towels provided, and disposable slippers as well! It's a good surprise!

A big disadvantage is it's a bit far from the centre.
Need to walk for about 20mins from the station to get here
Will be a bit troublesome it you don't drive.

And the wall between rooms are quite thin... I can here clearly the tele from my next door, and the sounds from the sink.
Will be a bit annoying if you prefer to have an early night.

Generally good. But I will try somewhere near the centre next time.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We often go out to Cardiff, either my husband and I or with girl friends and we have stayed at the Tanes three times now and I wanted to write a review for ages. We went to see "Wicked" the musical last week and stayed again.

We have always been made very welcome, Tony the Manager is very friendly and chatty and has always been extremely helpful -recommending places, booking taxis, etc.

The rooms are a good size, ensuite rooms have beautiful bathrooms ( my husband was very impressed with the tiles!) but above all, everything is extremely clean and well kept.

Breakfast is really enjoyable - smoked bacon is delicious, we love the vintage china too!

Look forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: We like room 24 but room 2 and 16 are great too.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple