“Lovely stay”

Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I have just read some of the reviews and can say that I could not fault the Tanes Hotel when I stayed there with my daughter just after easter. The staff /family were so welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The TV had just been changed to digital and the proprietor was very obliging to tune the TV for my daughter.
The rooms were exceptionally clean and lovley decorated. I would certainly recommend this as a play to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jacnic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I stayed here in mid July for 2 nights for a quick city break. I was first attacted by the value - the prices were the best I found online, as my requirements were very basic.

On the day I arrived, it was blazing hot and I had spent some time walking around trying to find the place (not a problem with the location, just my own lack of orientation!), so by the time I checked in I was hot, sweaty and thirsty. Though that obviously wasn't the fault of the hotel owners, they asked me as soon as I got there if I could pay up front for my stay. I had expected to pay at the end of the stay, and so this was an unwelcome greeting when it would've been more hospitable perhaps to offer me a drink, for example.

That said, this really was the only problem with the hotel. It's a 10 minute walk away from Cardiff city centre, which I was perfectly happy with. There is a well-served bus stop literally on the doorstep though, and it's a 5 minute walk from the nearest stop on the hop-on, hop-off sightseeing bus (very much recommended, only £9 and will take you everywhere of interest in the city).

The room was immaculate, very clean and tidy, so no problems there whatsoever. The complimentary breakfast was fine and very homely.

In short, the Tanes Hotel is ideal for lone travellers looking to see all the sights in Cardiff on a budget.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank LukeyC
ely
Reviewed 14 July 2010

A pleasant, clean and reasonably-priced bed & breakfast in the Roath area of Cardiff. Quite easy to reach from Queen Street station - turn right, under the bridge, and keep going along the Newport road. You pass the Roath branch library on your right, and then it is one of a number of guest houses on the right hand side of the road.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank cpolkinghorne
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2010

This is a typical small European hotel, with little rooms with or without a bathroom depending on your preference. I had one with an ensuite but the common bathroom and shower were right outside my door so it wasn't really necessary. They seemed to have bathrooms and showers on every floor but I can't be positive about that one. The room and bathroom were both really nice and looked like they had been recently renovated. The building is beautiful and the hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the main downtown area. You can also take a bus into the city centre that stops right outside the hotel if you aren't happy about the walk. The staff was really friendly and the price was absolutely unbeatable!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank toxgryph
Belgrade
Reviewed 4 July 2010

First, I apologize for my simplified English because it is not my mother language, but I hope I will be able to present my experience clearly enough.
I found TripAdvisor website recently, that's why I write this more than a year after the incident occurred. The date of my stay is approximate, because it was just my TRY to stay in Tanes Hotel, that's why I also couldn't rate all the aspects of the hotel. What I experienced in Tanes Hotel was a humiliation I have never experienced in my life, in the heart of such an open and friendly city.
My friend and I, both Blacks (of African origin) were on travel through the UK, and Cardiff was one of our points of interest. We read for the hotel in some newspaper tourist guide and a day before our planned stay we called to book a room. We were attracted by the owner's last name - having been the Serbian students, we recognized that the owner is the Serb. By the phone, we were informed there was no need for reservation because they have a plenty of rooms available. When we came in the hotel and asked for the room, a middle-aged woman in the front desk said that all rooms were occupied. I said that we called some 12 or 15 hours ago to book a room and there were "a plenty of available rooms", and asked how it was possible all the rooms to be booked in such a short time. Then the other woman who were passing through the reception said in Serbian "Oh, we're crazy for Blacks to have them around!" (she used the most offensive Serbian word for black people which I mustn't quote here due to TripAdvisor's policy). She said it quietly, more to herself, but loudly enough for us to hear and to understand. Since we used to be Serbian students we are proficient in Serbian. The first woman just smiled weirdly, and repeated she was sorry, no rooms available. My friend and I was so embarrassed, ashamed and shocked, we just turned around and left the hotel. I repeat, I have never experienced such an humiliation based on my skin colour anywhere in the world, and I travel a lot across the Europe, America and Australia...

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
6 Thank sparks32
Taneshotel, Owner at Tanes Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2010
We deny any knowledge of this alleged incident taking place, and find these allegations to be distasteful in the extreme. The reviewer is unable to provide a date for this alleged event. We are seeking legal advice on this matter regarding defamation. The reviewer has already been reprimanded by Trip advisor for using inappropriate language.

Customers either book with us, we note their details and provide them with a confirmation. If a customer turns up 15 hours later following just an initial enquiry, demanding a room and is turned away, this not because of ‘racism’ or ‘because they are black’. This is a disgraceful allegation and one we deny.

Similarly, if the reviewer alleges that they heard comments made in the lobby (a public place) by a member or members of the public, the hotel cannot be held responsible for this (though we would certainly be disgusted by it, if it occurred.)

We are a long established hotel that has been providing accommodation for over 40 years in Cardiff to a huge international customer base. We have an excellent and hard one reputation for quality, value and comfort for all of our guests.

Please read all of our reviews, both here and on our own website.
Glasgow
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I made the massive mistake of going here without reading any reviews on the place. I found this "hotel" using Google, and it seemed half decent - near to the city halls, 10 min walk to city centre, decent advertised breakfast, etc etc - but it was never a hotel, more like a bed and breakfast, and I did not enjoy my stay one bit. Horrendous.

As a young, fit, 24 year old I can walk at pace, but it took me a good 20 min walk (still not too far outside, but they said 10 mins), and as a young girl it wasn't exactly the type of area I felt comfortable walking about at night - so it was taxis everynight from a to b, at £7 a pop into the centre.

Location aside. I ring the door bell to get access to the "hotel". It's a bed and breakfast. A very dirty man about 40 answers, very awkard looking and somewhat fed up looking he gives me the key to my room, room 11. He shows me to my room which is on the ground floor at the front. - so he opens the door to the corridor....JEEZO I'm in the middle of 60 minute makeover! The place was smelly with paint, the walls bare, white sheets on the carpet ... YOU GET THE DRIFT.

So I get into my room - there's a double bed, with 4 cushions but no pillows, a tv which doesn;t receive signals for bbc1 or channel 5 - channel 5 I can maybe see, but bbc1???? Otherwise, to be fair the room appeared fine. So I put my staff down, and within 30 secs I realise that the room was going to be a disaster - it was incredibly noisy with bypassing traffic, and this continued throughout the night and very early in the morning.

So in the morning, I decide to have a shower to freshen up prior to going to my conference. The website states that towels and hairdryers are provided. Well, I'm a size 14 and I kid you not the one "bath towel" provided didn't go round my body. After I eventually get my hairwashed, I try to find the hairdryer - yes you guessed there was none (my hair is waist length so you can see this is probloematic). Regardless, I towel dry it and tie it back.

I'm starving, so go for breakfast. To be fair, the tables were neatly layed out (however it was ever so slightly 1960s esque), the breakfast was awful though. The wee woman serving was brand new, but the fry up was unbelievably greasy, the fried bread (all one quarter of a slice of it) was soaking in grease and cold, and I seemed to be grudged two rounds of toast by the owner guy. I asked for juice and I have given a baby a bigger glass fo juice than the one provided. At the corner of my eye, I see a *few* wee boxes of cereal lying about, so I take one and had to ASK for a plate and for some milk. I got this, but it was begrudged and the milk portion was rationed beyond belief.

I asked the wee woman (obviously hired in help) if there were any hairdryers - there was, great I though, however it was a toy. Waste of space.

I was there for 3 nights, and on the morning I was leaving I felt asif I was under surveillance as I had not yet paid. So, I go up to the owner guy and ask him if I can pay. In his weird way he said ok, and how do I want to pay. I said cash, and I asked for a receipt so that I could put my expenses in. so, I say how much is that (being polite) and his reply was "Well what did we quote you?". I said £31pn and he was rather rude, infornt of 2 other unfortunate guests, and said no, it was more likley to be £35 pn. GIven that I was dying to get away, that my work was paying for the digs, and I didn't want to start an argument over £12 I gave him the money, but what a horrible man to paying customers.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank clyde1878
Taneshotel, Owner at Tanes Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2010
We are very disappointed to receive such a odd review. I would like deal with the guest’s points and would like to point to the other reviews on this page, the ones on our website and the over 150+ overall ( all overwhelmingly positive). In fact our average on all channels is 8.2 out 10!

1) We are 15 minutes walk from the pedestrianised city centre, exactly half a mile (as stated on our website). We are also fortunate to have a bus stop (which runs every 5 or so minutes) directly to the city centre just outside the hotel and opposite us as well.

2) The lady was kindly informed and apologized to that there was some minor refurbishment occurring in the corridor (which only lasted a day or two). Similarly, she was upgraded, at no extra cost, to a double room instead of a single as this was available. Not many people complain about traffic noise; however, we would have gladly changed her room. Similarly, hairdryers, ironing boards, adapters, etc are available on request. All the rooms have fresh bath and hand/face towels (which are replenished daily)

3) Unfortunately our T.V’s were not receiving all of the available channels, as the whole of Wales was going through the digital changeover on the dates the lady was staying with us. All the T.V.‘S have now been re-tuned!

4) Guests are welcome to all of our breakfast choices - none of our options are ‘rationed’ - you just have to ask! We supply unlimited milk, orange, fresh fruit, cereal and toast!

5) We do provide different prices and discounts for different levels of stay - however, the lady guest gave us a completely made up price!
Naturally, all of our current prices are on the website.

We are very sorry that the lady in question did not enjoy her stay - we want everyone to thoroughly enjoy their stay; we believe we provide amazing value for money with real quality - please see the rest of our reviews!
Torquay
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Myself and daughter booked this hotel at short notice in order to attend an interview for my daughter at the University.
We took a chance as we didn't have time to look at reviews on TripAdvisor. We needn't have worried as we were not disappointed in any way. The management were so caring, they even phoned my husband as they were concerned about our late arrival - due to Newport roadworks.
The room was lovely, spotlessly clean, spacious with a nice en suite. Comfy bed with proper pillows - not the 'tea bag' pillows you sometimes encounter !
Good choice of breakfast that managed to overcome the pre interview nerves - everyone was so kind.
No rush to vacate - was able to sit quietly and bite my fingernails whilst my daughter was interviewed (successfully as it turned out).
Thank you so much - will definitely use this hotel when we come up again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business