“Good food, good beer, friendly attentive staff”

Gwaelod y Garth Inn
Ranked #35 of 1,215 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, View, Bar Scene, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good food, good beer, friendly attentive staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

I recently visited this pub with a group of friends for an evening meal. The upstairs is set up as a restaurant and the downstairs is more of a pub/bar. We went mid-week and the restaurant was fairly quiet.
The menu is quite extensive with a good variety. There is a combination of pub food (I had steak and ale pie) and restaurant-style dishes. Regardless of the order, the food was of an excellent quality, the vegetables were cooked perfectly and the chips were crispy without any surplus oil/fat. I tried a couple of different ales over the evening and both had been kept well and much enjoyed!
The staff were also excellent. They generally left us to ourselves but it was easy to get their attention when we needed anything and were efficient when sorting out the bill etc. The prices varied quite a lot depending on what you ate, my pie was only just over £10 but some of the more restauranty dishes were £20-£25. However, I'm fairly confident that this was a fair reflection of the ingredient quality and I don't think any of our party would quibble with the final bill.
On the whole, we had a lovely time. We were more there for the occasion than for the food but I would definitely have no hesitation going back another time. Only one word of caution.... only park in the rear carpark if you are confident of your hand-brake - it's on quite a slope!

• Visited October 2012

Wales
“Not great I won't rush back.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

My friend and I met here for a birthday meal. W were too early for the restaurant upstairs so had to eat in the bar. Food was good and served quickly but it's the sort of place where people walk to and bring their dogs. The people at the table next to us were feeding their dogs, who also happened to be farting! It wasn't the most pleasant surroundings for me, but good if you like that sort of thing.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Adele48
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

Recommended to eat here for lunch when visiting family. Excellent choice of food and good value. Booking would be advised though as we had to squeeze into a small corner on a small table. The place was very busy with many cars parked along the street outside. Will definatley visit here again for an evening meal. The staff were friendly and very talkative and it was nice to see that dogs were aloud inside if we'll behaved.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great little pub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

One of my husband & I's favourite pubs in Cardiff. Every now & again we go for a walk up the Garth mountain and like to visit this pub as a treat on our way back to the car. Great selection of ales, welcoming staff, doggie-friendly and a great atmosphere. We recently dined there for the first time and the food and service was great! I had the beer battered cod, chips & peas and was served two generously-sized battered cods, the chips are delicious and I usually leave the peas, but the petit pois served with the meal were delicious & piping hot, yum yum! My husband had the mozzarella & sundried tomato risotto cakes with chilli jam, which he really enjoyed. The choices on the specials board looked mouth-watering too. Basically, can't rate this place enough. Just be aware that parking is limited, we always park on the narrow road when we visit.

• Visited September 2012
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“Not a Pub Meal!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

My wife and I have eaten at this pub on a few occasions and I have to say that the food is fantastic, the place is really well laid out and the service is spot on. The specials menu changes regularly and there is always a great selection of cask ales, if your an ale drinker. The place is spotlessly clean and I really can't fault it there at all. Give it a whirl!!