“Huge portions and delicious!”

Gwaelod y Garth Inn
Ranked #41 of 1,318 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$14 - US$21
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Two of us went for Sunday lunch. We had the roasts and they were delicious - so much to eat but too good not to! The roast pork and crackling was great and loads of vegetables - a good variety. One of us managed to squeeze in the chocolate pudding which was melt in the mouth. We had a nice table upstairs, friendly and attentive service. With the benefit of a sunny day it's a great setting with lovely views. Will definitely go back

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We recently visited this popular restaurant following recommendation from one of our neighbours. Boy are we glad that we took his advice!
As we had a big family birthday just around the corner I decided to book the six of us into 'The Gwaelod' for a special meal. I had no trouble dealing with the extremely polite staff member who took my booking and spent the next week really looking forward to our evening out. On the day in question my son's fiance decided that she would like to join us and the restaurant had no problem turning our booking for six into a seven.

Service was outstanding and even our vegetable-phobic teen went home satisfied once he had requested extra chips TWICE. Nothing that we required was too much trouble, waiting staff really were wonderful and apart from a trip to the bar to sample some of the excellent real ale on offer (some of which are brewed on site!!) before finally settling on a few pints of 'Shine On' I hardly left my seat.

The food - wow THE FOOD - I could have chosen a number of items from the menu and I felt decidedly spoiled for choice. I finally settled on the moules to start which were wonderful, my wife had seabass from the specials board (which I was equally enamoured with and was happy to help her eat). For main course I went for the rib-eye which was melt in the mouth delicious and when you consider how reasonably priced it was compared to other similar establishments it was easily one of the nicest I have ever had the pleasure of eating. Around the table we had fish and chips, lasagne, saltmarsh lamb (beautiful by the way and I will be having this next time) and a couple of steak pies and we all finished every morsel on our plates. Gwaelod y Garth Inn if you are reading this my compliments to the chef!!

As inviting as the dessert fridge looked only the youngsters had any room for dessert but their roulade and sticky toffee puddings were wolfed down while the rest of us relaxed with a coffee.

I will without doubt be going back to this delightful little gem of a restaurant again and again. I can feel the Shine On calling me back already.............

1  Thank Kevin T
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Have come to the conclusion that the only reason this and some other local establishments score so highly is that there is a sad lack of quality pubs in the area. Food was nothing special and had to wait best part of an hour for anything to arrive - avoid.

1  Thank Offa
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Gwaelod y Garth Inn is hidden away in the village with which it shares its name, just to the north of Cardiff. It's pretty popular though, so booking a table might be a good idea on a Friday or Saturday night. (Or possibly Sunday lunchtime)
We visited on a Wednesday night and had two main courses (gammon and duck) and they were both beautifully cooked. Oddly, I hadn't noticed the specials board - which held some tempting possibilities too.
I think we might need to go back sometime soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

The restaurant was really busy, but despite this, I was served my meal in good time. I ate 3 meals in the restaurant there and each of them were amazing. Cooked perfectly, full of flavour and Sunday dinner came with an additional jug of gravy. You can ask for anything in this place and they will bend over backwards to make sure you get it. Brilliant!