“Amazing food in great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Gwaelod y Garth Inn
Ranked #35 of 1,210 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$12 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Kids, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Amazing food in great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a warm, friendly and obviously popular pub - lots of cheerful, friendly locals.It's obvious the owners work really hard to maintain the highest standards while keeping the atmosphere lively and interesting - lots of events and so on. My husband and I stayed for a weekend in January and were impressed by the hospitality but also the standard of the cooking, which was way beyond the average pub grub - interesting choices on the menu, clearly some imaginative planning, and a real effort to source food if not locally, then from around South Wales. Salt marsh lamb - fab. Anyone living in or around Cardiff should go there for a treat, and it is a lovely location for visitors - I was thrilled to find how dog friendly they are, because getting away with two small dogs is often a problem.
The restaurant is a real find, busy but calm and its popularity can only mean one thing - everyone who goes there knows how good it is. I've been recommending it to friends and on Facebook. Try it - you won't be disappointed.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank SueRev2014

Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Superb food matched by excellent service, together with the inviting atmosphere makes the Gwaelod is one of the most enjoyable eating places in Cardiff.

1 Thank Sara w
Bath
“Food cooked with love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We ate here for dinner one night and breakfast in the morning as we stayed over with our dog for the night. Beautiful location, some stunning walks nearby. The food is delicious and memorable, with ample on the plate. Meat cooked perfectly. I went with my partner who is a fine dining chef, who was not only impressed with the food but also with the quality of wine on the menu. We are planning our return and are looking forward to it primarily for the food

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank YamenBon
Cardiff
“Huge portions and delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Two of us went for Sunday lunch. We had the roasts and they were delicious - so much to eat but too good not to! The roast pork and crackling was great and loads of vegetables - a good variety. One of us managed to squeeze in the chocolate pudding which was melt in the mouth. We had a nice table upstairs, friendly and attentive service. With the benefit of a sunny day it's a great setting with lovely views. Will definitely go back

• 4 of 5 bubbles
“Warm welcome, wonderful atmosphere and most importantly beautiful food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We recently visited this popular restaurant following recommendation from one of our neighbours. Boy are we glad that we took his advice!
As we had a big family birthday just around the corner I decided to book the six of us into 'The Gwaelod' for a special meal. I had no trouble dealing with the extremely polite staff member who took my booking and spent the next week really looking forward to our evening out. On the day in question my son's fiance decided that she would like to join us and the restaurant had no problem turning our booking for six into a seven.

Service was outstanding and even our vegetable-phobic teen went home satisfied once he had requested extra chips TWICE. Nothing that we required was too much trouble, waiting staff really were wonderful and apart from a trip to the bar to sample some of the excellent real ale on offer (some of which are brewed on site!!) before finally settling on a few pints of 'Shine On' I hardly left my seat.

The food - wow THE FOOD - I could have chosen a number of items from the menu and I felt decidedly spoiled for choice. I finally settled on the moules to start which were wonderful, my wife had seabass from the specials board (which I was equally enamoured with and was happy to help her eat). For main course I went for the rib-eye which was melt in the mouth delicious and when you consider how reasonably priced it was compared to other similar establishments it was easily one of the nicest I have ever had the pleasure of eating. Around the table we had fish and chips, lasagne, saltmarsh lamb (beautiful by the way and I will be having this next time) and a couple of steak pies and we all finished every morsel on our plates. Gwaelod y Garth Inn if you are reading this my compliments to the chef!!

As inviting as the dessert fridge looked only the youngsters had any room for dessert but their roulade and sticky toffee puddings were wolfed down while the rest of us relaxed with a coffee.

I will without doubt be going back to this delightful little gem of a restaurant again and again. I can feel the Shine On calling me back already.............

1 Thank Kevin T