“disappointed”

Madeira
Ranked #25 of 1,232 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
south wales
“disappointed”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Booked a table for a family of 5. We were really looking forward to going to eat here as lots of friend had been and they had been raving about it. What a disappointment ! I ordered shrimp for starter they had been frozen they were tasteless and limp I ask the waiter if they were frozen he said they had and exchanged them for the mussels there must have been 10/12 in the dish 3 hadn't opened 3 empty shell's so I was left with 4/6 mussels served in a very heavy creamy sauce ( not the best ) everyone else enjoyed theirs but you can't really go wrong with a prawn cocktail. Main we had steaks and lamb kebab asked for medium rare it was over cooked only had 1 round of drinks with our meal checked the bill and had been charged for 6 starters and they said they took a £1.00 of the prawns. The mussel's where cheaper ! Total price £131.20 no desserts we called to tesco on the way home and picked up dessert ,I'm a real foody and was so dissapointed I didn't want to stay for dessert to me it's an average steak house I've had better at my local sizzler
H

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank ally40

• Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“amazing chicken!”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I visit the Maderia often and i absolutley love the chicken breastthere its huge! also battered cauliflower amazing! can get seriously busy at night well worth a table!

• Visited June 2014
Cardiff
“AN EXCELLENT PLACE TOO EAT”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Recently visited the Madeira Portuguese Restaurant in Cardiff. Was most impressed, not only with the varied menu but with the quality of the food. The skewers of fillet Steak with garlic butter cascading over them ( cannot remember the correct Portuguese name ) were absolutely delicious, as was the cauliflower in batter. Will definitely visit again and again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank TenchCardiff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Its not that lovley”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I booked a table a few weeks ahead. On arrival the lady at the front desk at first couldn't find the booking and then said we should have told her that we had a baby with us. I had told them this on the original telephone booking, I explained this very politely and she said 'just remember next time'. So from the very beginning it was going downhill for me. Nothing better than an argument to start dinner and feel that your only and beloved baby son is a nuisance. Anyway the other staff there were kind and helpful and the service was quick, two stars for that. I had been led to believe that the food was really good here, but it wasn't.
The online menu was really appealing to the eye and mouth watering, the menu available in the restaurant looked sad and tired like old yellers dog, it was torn and sticky. I imagined I could sample the actual dishes by licking my fingers , if I could unstick them from the menu. They also brought the chalkboard lunch menu on a chalkboard and put it on a chair for us to look at.
The spaghetti was good and the mushrooms ok the sardines were charcoaled. The main dishes were just nothing special, poor pub grub. Some chicken was brought on a skewer and hung over our table for us all to look at, I've got sky tv so I wasn't overly impressed, get a fish tank.It was overcooked. The side plates were peas and little potato bites which were, I don't know how to say it but just naff, like your nan might make if she was crap at cooking. my side salad looked as if half of it had died and left the plate. I mean its coming out of a professional kitchen, there was little pride, flair or interest in the food, it was a bit like the brickwork, functional.
Overall I would rate it as no more interesting than an inflatable donkey.

So to the lady on the broomstick at the font desk, we wont be mentioning anything ' next time' as we wont be back.

• Visited August 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A great reliable restaurant for quality food”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We have been to this restaurant many times over the years. We were meeting relatives from Australia for the first time and needed a restaurant which wasn't a chain (difficult to find in city centres) and offered a good atmosphere and food. This place fitted the bill perfectly. Our relatives loved their meal and the place was buzzing on a Thursday night. I had the ribs to start and chicken vilao - both were great. We will return, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates good food.

• Visited July 2014