“Port of call”

Madeira
Ranked #47 of 1,391 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Return visit to this Portuguese eatery. Nice reception on arrival and seated quickly and took order for drinks whilst providing food menus. Great choice of food and wines. Had mussels for starters in delicious sauce. Tasty huge T bone steak for main and nice desert with coffees and liquors to finish. Service provided very professionally with knowledgeable staff. Called taxi’s for us which arrived spontaneously. I will go back when in Cardiff.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed 21 June 2018

We attended last night for a birthday celebration.. The service was very good. Staff very friendly and attentive. The food was lovely.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Having been to Portugal numerous times I was looking forward to trying this place.

The bread basket they brought to start was very fresh.

I have Portuguese seafood for starter, this was very tasty, and reminded me of the sauce within a cataplana.

We had kebabs for main - monkfish and mixed meat, both had a lot of flavour. The garlic glaze perfect combination on the grilled meat.

We would come back again.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Visited with friends. Initially seated at a table where we could barely get in as so close to the one behind and in front. Asked to move and there was a spare table next to the kitchen area -much roomier. We had starters of prawns, whitebait, garlic mushrooms and avocado. My prawns were big and there was lots of sauce, also tasted the mushrooms and whitebait -all were good without being exceptional. 3 of us then had the skewers with different sauces and the veggie had pasta. I had the fillet beef and it was really tender. The accompanying veg of sauté potatoes, peas were good but the deep friend cauliflower was exceptional. Dessert was a lovely lemon cheesecake. All in all a good evening and would return.

1  Thank Sue K
Reviewed 31 May 2018

We treat ourself to The Madeira about twice a year, always looking forward to the lovely food and atomsphere. We recently visited to celebrate a family birthday, we all had a lovely starter and the 3 of us ordered steak. My steak was full of gristle (poor quality as we all order the same cut) which I could not chew. Not wanting to upset the evening celebrations I mentioned it quietly to my husband who stated that his was the same, I complained at the time and we were asked if we would like another. It was too late by then as we had filled up on the starters and the vegetables. The bill arrived, we had been charged FULL PRICE, £140 for drinks, starters and mains, I at least expected the cost of the 2 steaks to be deducted !. I then had to ask for something to be taken off the bill due to the two out of the three steaks being inedible, another was produced with only £20 taken off. The evening was a real disappointment, we have been faithful customers for many years but will think twice about booking in the future.