“A night to remember”

Ranked #95 of 1,236 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Redefining Indian cuisine, Mint & Mustard serves traditional flavours with a clean-cut, contemporary edge. Winner of a prestigious Bib Gourmand, fresh and adventurous dishes are showcased on the menu with impeccable presentation, with dishes like slow braised lamb with shallots and curry leaves, or orange-scented king prawns with special spices. As well as a glittering reputation across South Wales, Mint & Mustard was named Best Restaurant in the region in the prestigious Echo Awards, with Head Chef Sid Rathore named winner of the South Asian Chef competition.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A night to remember”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Three of us visited this restaurant for my wife's birthday on a Monday night . We all thought the quality , presentation and choice of food was outstanding . It is a rare occurrence and an absolute treat to get food of this quality when eating out . There were some very unusual choices on the menu . As a bonus they presented us with complimentary drinks on account of the birthday .

Newport, United Kingdom
“Consistently good food”
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Ate here again and just wanted to update this restaurant as it has been through a number of changes.

The atmosphere is good, but not excellent- I think this is because the restaurant is bigger and it's hectic!

The service is average. Some of the staff appear to be lacking in knowledge regarding the food and menu.

The food is consistently good. However they are expensive!!
It was about £60 with drinks for 2 courses.

The bar needs to have some bar stools as last time we were in this restaurant we had to wait for a table and had to stand at the bar for 10 minutes.

I would recommend this as a special place to eat, but be prepared for the noise and the temperature in there, it gets very hot!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Very good food and service”
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We visited this award-winning restaurant on a Friday evening and by 7.30 they were turning people away, so booking is recommended. The staff were all very attentive and knowledgable about the menu. The menu offers variety without being over complicated with too many choices. You won't find the familiar sounding names of the usual 'curry and chips' on the menu but a variety of unusual sounding dishes from the Kerala region of India. The food is flavoured with a range of herbs and spices resulting in very flavoursome treats. We had starters (in additon to a basket of pappadoms, which we really didn't need on reflection), main course and shared one delicious dessert and with drinks it came to £35 each. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for -good food, good service, pleasant surroundings. Just a couple of things, if I was to be really picky, neither of which they can do much about. Parking is a problem - difficult out on the main road and side streets are really busy. The other is the noise level - with it being so popular, it was quite difficult at times to have a conversation and the background music could have been anything as all you heard was a bit of wailing occasionally as someone attempted the high notes. But as I say, difficult to remedy. I would definitely return here and would recommend it.

Visited September 2013
“Amazing cookery course, wonderful food”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I was given a voucher for 2 for the Saturday cookery course and went with my daughter this weekend. I highly recommend trying this. I'm a keen cook and found this to be a lovely relaxing, stimulating and educational way to spend an afternoon along with a group of like-minded gastronauts. Wonderful! Thanks Sue for organising things so well.
After that we met with the rest of the family in the restaurant and had a truly memorable meal. The food was spiced in new and interesting ways, making me eat far more than I needed.
The lamb and chicken tikkas were lovely starters and the lamb shank was amazing.
So great food, friendly, helpful staff. Did I mention great food? Go.....now......go on......

1 Thank NJ B
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great food, poor service”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I visited on a Saturday evening and had reserved a table for 8 people at 8pm. Upon arrival, my party and I were asked to wait at the (standing only) bar. We stood here for almost 15 minutes whilst our table was prepared. During this wait, we weren’t offered a drink.

We were eventually seated towards the rear of the restaurant. Although spacious, the back room lacks any form of soft upholstery and is therefore has quite a bit of an echo. Undeterred, we moved on to ordering. 3 of our table opted for the tasting menu with wine flight (£45 or so), with the remainder going for the ordinary tasting menu (£38).

The food was excellent, and well deserving of the price tag. The dishes were varied and delicious. The service, however, was not good at all. The wine to accompany the starter courses arrived considerably late (after we had chased for it) and we experienced the same problem with the wine flight accompanying the main courses. More frustratingly, when we asked a nearby member of staff to check on our main courses (see below), we were told that he “didn’t do food”. If you are solely a drinks waiter then that’s fair enough, but you should a) not forgot people’s drinks on several occasions and b) provide the customer with a helpful response and pass on the query to a staff member who does “do food”.

We waited until almost 10.20pm until we received our main courses. After being sat at 8.15pm, we were served poppadums, our starters (street food style bites) and a small fish course. We had told the restaurant that we would be eating from the tasting menu on at least two occasions prior to our reservation date. Waiting over two hours between being seated and receiving a main course is not acceptable. It was almost 50 minutes between our finishing the fish course and being served the mains. Our frustration was compounded when one of the three main courses, a duck dish, was replaced by chicken with no explanation other than “here is a chicken special”. When asked where the duck was, we were told they had ran out. I reemphasise the fact that I had told the restaurant that we were eating from the tasting menu on two separate occasions before arrival. Failing to explain that one of the 8 dishes on the menu had been switched was not acceptable. The chicken was, however, very enjoyable.

I really dislike complaining when out for dinner but the repeated poor service warranted a complaint. I spoke to the manager, who was very reasonable and apologetic. He dealt with the complaint the way that a good manager should and allowed us to finish out meal feeling slightly more positive. Unfortunately, I think the restaurant was completely overwhelmed on a very busy Saturday night. It is a shame that the service was so bad as the food really was very far beyond most ordinary Indian restaurants.

1 Thank wh5447