“Quite the best”

New Inn Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Newport
“Quite the best”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We were only to stay for 1 night (Sunday May 11th). Very busy (popular) place. Plenty of parking. Excellent and helpful staff at all levels. Bedrooms perfectly clean and modern and oh so very comfortable with superb king size bed. Restaurant busy when we decided to eat and one expects a bit of patience here. Food is very well prepared and delivered with politeness. Don't forget this is open to the public and this assists in making this busy. I repeat this is obviously appreciated by locals.

Look out for a bargain room as we saved £20 but would have paid the normal price gladly had we known what the New Inn was like.

Were we to go to wales again this would be the very first place I'd choose.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
swansea wales
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This splendid pup restaurant motel with separate children's play room is perfect for a nice little break. My wife and I stayed a couple of nights, the room was very clean with excellent modern bathroom which was spotless, comfortable bed with plenty of soft pillows. The food was very good and reasonably priced, I can recommend the medallions of fillet steak and the belly pork on a bed of noodles, both were delicious, my wife had the scampi both nights so that speaks for itself. The drinks were normal pub prices and a very good pint. Very friendly staff and an excellent choice for breakfast. We paid £50 a night including breakfast. If you want to spend £500 go to Celtic Manor.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Me & my colleagues had decided to go for a quick meal to the New Inn "the wacky warehouse".

When ordering the food I specifically said to the waiter that I'd like to pay with my card which shouldn't have been a problem. However, he cashed the bill off and told me to pay with cash. I then had to use the cash machine they provide in the restaurant which charges £1.85. The waiter didn't even offer to refund the charge as it wasn't our fault that he cashed it off.

Then to top it all off, when the food arrived to our table, no smile just put the plates on the table and first thing you could see was an eyelash/human hair on the poppadom. I wanted to point it out to the waitress however she literally left without asking if we need anyting else. I had to wait for approximately 10 minutes for the waitress to walk pass our table when I stopped her and pointed out the eyelash/human hair on the poppadom to the waitress, she literally just took it and didn't even apologise and not even offered me a fresh poppadom which I've paid for.

No one even came around to check whether everything is okay with our meals.

Aweful service, no smile, no manners....I would call it a place employing miserable people

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dee2811
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here for Wales /Scotland game, problem with our booking not problem with the hotel but with booking.com, this was sorted straight away the staff were brilliant could not do enough for us. another thing we used ABC taxis for our journey to game and they were very good

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kejul
Walton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

On arriving at the hotel we were a little bit disappointed with the surrounding area and wondered if we had made the right choice. The twin room we had was rather small and dull but it was clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom facilities were nice except that the shower gel containers were almost empty. We had a simple lunch when we arrived and it was very good and well presented. One cannot grumble at the breakfasts, there is plenty of choice, fruit juices, fruit salad, cereals, croissants, bread, muffins and all the various jams. If you don;t want the full English then you can pick and choose what you prefer - the poached egg on toast was delicious.

The staff were all very helpful and pleasant.On the whole for the price it was good value for money

Although on a main road we did not have any problem with traffic noise.. There is plenty of parking on site so that is a bonus.

As the hotel is next to a pub with child friendly facilities the Wacky Warehouse can get very noisy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Betty R
wales
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We booked to stay here as we needed somewhere to stay near Cardiff after a six nations match. We couldn't get in to any hotels in the city centre, this was the nearest we could get and it was fine. The rooms were basic but very clean and tidy. The bed was huge, really clean and very comfortable. The shower wasn't great but did the job! Breakfast was ok and overall the stay was good value for money. The staff were very friendly and helpful too.
There's a bus stop right outside with a regular service to Newport. You can walk to the bus or train station to get into Cardiff. If it's a match day, I would avoid the bus into Cardiff as it took ages. We came back via train which was much quicker, a taxi from Newport to this hotel late at night cost us £11. I would have preferred to stay closer but would stay here again if need be.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank taffy010
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed here on 28th & 29th November.
We where told at check in we'd been allocated a disabled access room (which was actually down a few steps?). The room was very very clean, except the teaspoons which had been left unwashed on our cups?
We choose to eat in the attached pub and the food was very nice and despite it being very busy only took 20 mins to arrive. The bar and waiting staff where helpful and courteous.
When we went back to the room, we where suddenly plunged into darkness. I went to reception and rang the bell (out of hours, its not manned) I waited about 10 min, but nobody came. Luckily a member of staff who was leaving for the evening passed and went to raise someone for me. When the duty manager arrived, she seemed to know what the problem was and I was told, without apology that she would get someone to fix it. About 5 mins later the lights went back on and there was a knock at our door. The chap said he'd fixed the problem, but he could show my husband how to fix it if it should happen again. I found this to be very very rude, it was after all just a trip switch, which I sure even a woman could manage!!!
The next morning I mentioned the fault to the receptionist, but they knew there had been a longstanding problem with it.
We ate here again on Friday night, again, the food was of a good standard.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in a room where there are know electrical faults.