“Pleasantly Surprised”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Devon
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Myself & wife stayed here for one night as we were attending a wedding in the Christchurch Centre next door. I have to admit I was a little apprehensive (the fact it was a budget hotel) when she told me that she had booked this hotel but boy was I ever wrong. My wife contacted the hotel early in the week before our stay to ask if there was any chance we could book in early so we could change for the wedding there instead of travelling all the way up from Devon in our wedding clothes. The pleasant lady on the phone explained that due to the Wales/France rugby match taking place the night before our stay she was unable to guarantee us early access to our room but would do her very best. When we arrived at the hotel we were delighted by the fact our room was ready infact both members of staff at reception new of our early arrival and were waiting for us. The room itself was although a little on the small size very good for the price and we managed to have a good nights sleep. If I ever needed to stay on the outskirts of Newport again I would have no issues with staying at this lovely little budget hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ibisbudgetNewport, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Newport, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Katarzyna Durczynska, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Holywell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

If you're looking to stay at a budget hotel (and I guess you wouldn't be if you're reading this review), the Ibis Budget hotel will suit your needs. Though beware of hugely inflated costs when the rugby's on in Cardiff - we had to pay £105 for one room for one night - disgraceful capitalisation and therefore a budget hotel at 4* prices!

It's clean, functional and the staff are friendly.

Things to be mindful of:
If you're travelling by train, it's a £5 taxi drive from Newport Central station.

The hotel quoted a taxi to Cardiff as £20 but the taxi company charged £25 - suggest you check with the taxi driver before you start your journey

No hairdryer or kettle in the room, which we were aware of before arriving so were prepared

Ear-as-much-as-you-like continental style breakfast served every morning for around £5 pp

Would we stay there again? Without doubt, if/when we want a budget hotel

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
ibisbudgetNewport, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Newport, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Geraint D,

Katarzyna Durczynska, GM
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed 2 nights, room 420. £57 for 2 nights for 2 people.
Hotel is on Juction 26 of the M4.
Hotel reception, Booking in quick and efficient, reception staff very pleasant.
Lift to room, very good.
The room wasn't large but fine for 2, bit of a squash for 3 I would think.
Shower and hand basin in the room with toilet in small closet.
The shower was very good, plenty of pressure. Towels provided as was loo roll, which for the price I didn't expect. Soap for the basin was provided but no other toiletries.(as you would expect for the price)
There are no tea making facilities, however we read about this on the other reviews and took our own travel kettle. We did not have breakfast.
The room was very warm, which considering the cold and rain was very welcome.
TV reception was good with limited channels, but enough for us for the sort time we were in.
WiFi was good for the time we used it.
Had Fish and Chips from just up the road, turn right out of hotel and about 10 mins walk. Very good. There was a little Tesco opposite the chip shop and a Domino Pizza.
While my husband was at his gaming event I took the opportunity to go shopping in Cardiff.
I used the Park and Ride from Cardiff East. £3 return for all day. Easy to find and good service.
Lovely indoor shopping centre, very much enjoyed the Castle Quarter with its individual shops, Walked in to a hairdressers called Sweeneys in the Castle Quarter without appointment, had 2 colour half head, cut and blow dry for £76, Hannah gave me lots of good advice and was very knowledgeable for such a young girl. (or am I getting old mmm!). Def recommend.
Lots of coffee shops and small cafes. If the weather had been better would have spent longer in the high street. Next time would like to visit the Castle which is just off the shopping centre.
I think this hotel was basic, warm and clean. Very good value for money.

Room Tip: We had room 420, it faced the motorway, but look to the right and you can see hills. Very quiet.
1 Thank Debbie D
ibisbudgetNewport, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Newport, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Debbie D,

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Gullane
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We were initially attracted to this budget hotel as it was close to our destination and pet friendly. Where on earth can you get a decent double room for £25 along with a good continental breakfast for £4.95. Room was basic as expected with no frills such as kettle etc. It was very clean and fresh along with a comfy bed and good shower, free Wi-Fi was a added bonus. They charged us a extra £5 for our dog which I thought was fair compared to some. Staff were all first class and we appreciated being given a slightly larger room. Car parking is ample and free. First time in a Ibis and wont be the last.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are close to the M4 motorway and may be subject to traffic noise although I noted...
2 Thank dibblegullane
ibisbudgetNewport, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Newport, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear dibblegullane,

Katarzyna Durczynska, GM
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is an IBIS Blue hotel, so you need to dial down your expectations - the bunk beds in my small room were a bit of a surprise!

The wi-fi wasn't bad, but the freeview signal was poor - so the tv was patchy and there was no kettle in the room.

The room itself was clean and smelled fresh, the shower was great.
The continental breakfast was pretty good and the staff were very friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors have better wi-fi - the upper floors get better phone signal - it's worth...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Graeme M,

Many thanks for your feedback. Your comments have been noted.
Shall you happen to visit Newport again, we look forward to welcome you.

Kind Regards,

United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This is an ex-Etap Hotel and if you have stayed in one you will know what it is like as in my experience they are all the same. It was clean and comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful. It is a good distance from the town centre but close to the motorway. At £19.00 for the night it was very good value for money.

Dear Steve W,

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have stayed at the hotel on many occasions whilst on business in South Wales. It is very close and therefore convenient for the M4 and yet surprisingly quiet with double/triple secondary glazing that ensure a good nigh sleep. Rooms a basis but sufficiently roomy and warm and the beds extremely comfy. Breakfast is more than ample for a continental and of good quality. Staff are efficient and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Anthony K
ibisbudgetNewport, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Newport, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Anthony K,

Katarzyna Durczynska GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Holiday Inn Express Newport
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Coldra Court Hotel
Coldra Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Langstone

Been to Hotel ibis budget Newport? Share your experiences!