“Would not recommend”

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #28 of 34 Newport B&B and Inns
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I went with my bf to Southwales for bank holiday weekend and everywhere was booked. Fortunately we manage to find a hotel on booking.com - after my confirmation was confirmed I called the hotel to double check. The lady I spoke to was really helpful and had to call me back because all the rooms were booked. After she called me back she offered me a newly decorated room which was being used for other purposes and sorted it into a bedroom so I was extremely grateful for this - she really went out of her way to help me. When we arrived in the room it was very clean and comfortable. However by 11 at night there was loud music coming from down stairs and it continued until 4 in the morning. No stop disco music, shouting laughing so loud, people in the streets outside my window and random people walking around the hotel past my rooms. I was so tired and just wanted to sleep and they did not give us any warning about this or even offered us a invite. When we went to use the shower the next day it was freezing cold with no sign of hot water. By this point we just wanted to leave - we went downstairs to reception and the place was a mess and no members of staff to be found. Generally the area where the hotel is located is not very nice at all - poverty area I would say without sounding snobbish. Would not recommend to be honest.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Powys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here when we went to watch the rugby. Check in was fine and we were shown to our room. When we got in there the bed was broken, bathroom tiles were broken, toilet seat was broken, taps were loose and the tv was screwed to the ceiling and was not given a remote to put it on. Had a good nights sleep but due to the lack of care put into this "hotel", the cleaniless and the amount of things brokem next time I think we'd rather curl up on the Newport streets.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Sarah H
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I was working down in Newport for the week and had booked based on the images and quality of their website - I'd seen some bad reviews but dismissed them as sour-grapes - that was my first mistake.

The second mistake was paying for the whole week in advance - I didn't see any staff again until I checked out.

To be fair the room was fairly large with a big window and high ceilings - unfortunately the window was broken and flapped in the wind, consequently the room was draughty - the large radiator only worked for a couple of hours but barely made a dent in such a large space.

There was a tv in the room - a tiny lcd with intermittent freeview, attached to the ceiling! - so it was unwatchable without standing on the bed, not that you'd want to - it was flimsy and rickety.

The bathroom was grubby - the shower,which either blasted cold water or dribbled scalding hot was cracked and dirty.

The only good point was that the bedding was clean and the door locked. There was no kettle, iron, hair-dryer, wi-fi or any sense of security.

I spent as little time as possible in the place.

Room Tip: Neither the images here nor their website reflect the majority of the rooms, ask to see your room fi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Graeme M

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Whitchurch
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We checked in at lunch time but were told that the room wasn't ready, so we left our bags in the car and went off to watch the rugby in Cardiff. We returned at around 11pm to be met by the manager who said "you're lucky I was just locking up". The reception area is locked up and the only entry is though the fire exit at the side of the building.
He gave us our room key and disappeared. When we arrived at our room we found mouldy wet carpets (the skylight in our room leaks, and causes the roof to leak in the room below ours), no bedding (just a mattress), no towels (irrelevant as the shower didn't work).
Tried to contact reception but were locked out, tried calling reception but no answer.
Next morning we complained to the manager... his responses consisted of "I don't know what to say", "I'm speechless" and "I'm viciously sorry".
I've never been so appalled at the state of a "hotel" in my life, and the service we received was shocking. I don't know how they can call themselves a hotel. I would love to know where the pictures on their site came from, as it looks nothing like this.
Please avoid this place!

Room Tip: sleep in your car! seriously
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank andytpickering
Usk
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Arrived here at approx 1800 on a Friday evening and stood in reception for around 10 minutes while the guy manning the show played with his mobile. Was then shown to a large room, the bedding was really clean. The en suite was extremely dirty and no attempt to clean it had been made. The shower did not work and the room would not lock fron the outside. So off to reception we go and a side kick went back to the room with me and advised that the shower was a good as it could be. Eventually moved rooms to another large room with a shower that just about worked. In the morning there was no cold water supply so unable to flush the toilet and what water came from the shower was extermely hot. Left via reception and put the room key on the counter and the same guy manning it barely spoke to me. The only positive here is the clean bedding.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard B
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I had a tatty carpet, the paintwork on the walls was stained with what looked like dirty hand prints. The tea and coffee making facilities were there but with no sugar, no tea and no coffee in the containers. The shower was useless. Steaming hot, then freezing and then steaming again, all of it's own accord. The staff were all drunk by 9 'o' clock because they had a 'Gay' night on or something with a drag act and the noise was awful. I'd rather do community service than stay here again!!!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sloughboy T
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

For anyone looking for somewhere to stay close to the Rodney Parade Football/Rugby Ground, this is no more than 15 minutes walk away (or 3 bus stops heading back to the city centre)

Room was clean tidy and spacious. Comfortable bed and fully working shower with tea/coffee making facilities and for its price, no grumbles at all.

Only difficulty I had was finding someone to give my key back to the following morning when time to check out.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo